PDA

View Full Version : Recent Loss of Motivation :(

rude_rick1
05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I've been training now for approx 2 years, rarely having a break from it.. it's really become part of my day to day routine.

Over the last 2 weeks, whenever I've gone to the gym, I have left within half an hour because I cannot concentrate enough to keep myself motivated to work efficiently. I have a few things on my mind external to training, mainly to do with some difficult exams coming up, as well as some relationship difficulties.. all of which are constantly on my mind.

Should I take some time off training untill I've dealt with/got past the external issues that are affecting me? Any other ideas?

Cheers.

quickups
05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I've been training now for approx 2 years, rarely having a break from it.. it's really become part of my day to day routine.

Over the last 2 weeks, whenever I've gone to the gym, I have left within half an hour because I cannot concentrate enough to keep myself motivated to work efficiently. I have a few things on my mind external to training, mainly to do with some difficult exams coming up, as well as some relationship difficulties.. all of which are constantly on my mind.

Should I take some time off training untill I've dealt with/got past the external issues that are affecting me? Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Take some time, off man..Give it some time. My advice is to stay out of the gym for a couple off weeks COMPLETELY. You need the mental break!

Anywhere and anything that can give you a mental break..you should do it. Whether it be concentrating on one thing at a time, do something fun, or looking for inspiration out there..do it.

Good luck.

2sweet
05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
I agree with Quickups you need a total break. You'll burn out if you don't and your heading in that direction. Just take care of what you have to take care of then go back when you feel the need. Much luck and my prayers are with you.

dkemano42
05-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Cheers.

Hey,
Yes for sure. If you are not motivated in the gym its not getting you anywhere. So, take some time off till things settle down and you get your head straight, then when you feel like it start up again.

During your time off, try to eat right still, and maybe do some cardio to keep your heart and lungs in good shape....I think soon you will start to miss it, and WANT to start lifting again.

DK

Kevin91
05-23-2009, 02:34 AM
yeah dude, sometimes a week off is the best thing, im about to do that soon. then when your ready you'll hit the gym mad hard instead of half assed

KingOfChaos
05-23-2009, 02:58 AM
I take off a month a year and you haven't taken off at all in 2? Damn son, that's harsh. I'd say it's time for a vacation from the iron. Get yourself back mentally and then go for it again (plus, you might get some 'newbie' gains after taking off some weeks).

barbarian_ben
05-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Surprisingly time off does indeed help. I actually was in the exact same position not too long ago, though my time off was a result of a minor injury, but my motivation had been declining. After taking 2 weeks and a few days off, I felt more motivation than ever!

rocklockridge
05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree with everyone else. Take a week off and see what happens.

rushbuster70
05-26-2009, 01:09 PM
This is tough...I use to have "it" that motivated me.But its gone.And it has been for years now.I just dont know how to get "it" back.I dont feel the same working out anymore like I use to.I dont feel like i can push myself like had been able to before.I hear you man...Taking time off didnt do anything for me.I guess I just lost whatever "it" was and have to keep pushing my way through as much as I can

IrishPilot
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
As others have mentioned, take some time off. During that time, come up with a specific GOAL, and some small milestones to get you to that goal. Usually purpose = motivation. I hope you find what you are looking for!

ndruo
05-27-2009, 12:35 AM
My current motivation isn't the jacked up body.

To me, that's a consequence of what I'm really after. And that is that diamond-hard resolve, the focus, and the resilience to repetitively do an activity that is what would classically be defined as "painful," day in and day out. It sucks. But that's a valuable part of it.

Because training like that, to me, will train more than my body. It will train my mind and my resolve. These are attributes whose practicality isn't limited to that of gaining muscle and "gettin swole like Broseidon, lord of the broceans."

It's an effort to teach myself how to do things not because I want to, but for one reason and one reason alone:

Because I said I would.

I want to believe that my word has weight behind it. That it is SO BINDING that even I myself cannot hope to defy it. If I say I will, then it's as good as done. And I said I would train hard.

That is why I started training. That is why I continue to train. That is how I hope to continue to not only train, but believe and live by for the rest of my life. Maybe you're focusing too much on sharpening your body, but not your mind?

Commitment. Learn about it.

(again)

anth342
05-28-2009, 12:52 AM
just go read up the motivation articles on this site

Beast Genetics
05-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Take some time, off man..Give it some time. My advice is to stay out of the gym for a couple off weeks COMPLETELY. You need the mental break!

Anywhere and anything that can give you a mental break..you should do it. Whether it be concentrating on one thing at a time, do something fun, or looking for inspiration out there..do it.

Good luck.
Ditto, the gym's not necessarily the place to be while your distracted, this could get you injured. Take a break man get your head right.

VoxExMachina
05-30-2009, 07:22 PM
I would schedule a couple of weeks off. Make it your plan to actually stay out of the gym. Going to the gym and walking away defeated will only make it harder to go the next time, and you obviously need a break at this point.

During your time off, get your other stuff done, but also take the time to come up with a new workout plan and goal for when you get back to the gym. Just as importantly, pick a date now when you'll go back to the gym to start executing your new plan. Having that date circled, so to speak, will do two things: it will let you feel better about being out of the gym because you know you are doing it on purpose and for a reason; and second it will make sure your 2-3 week break doesn't turn into 2-3 years.

roman209
05-30-2009, 10:33 PM
i disagree, one should only take a break in the follow circumstances:
-injury
-sickness
-to facilitate progress

Training helps everything you are talking about.

Beast Genetics
05-31-2009, 09:50 AM
i disagree, one should only take a break in the follow circumstances:
-injury
-sickness
-to facilitate progress

Training helps everything you are talking about.
Everybodies different bro, what's good for the goose may not be good for the gander. This may work for you, but if he's in the gym for 30 min's then leaves he is cleary trying and it's still not working.

JolietKev
06-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Take some time off and the buy a new supp and some duds that you will be looking forward to using. What initially got you into lifting? Any other stressors right now. Stress can lower your motivation by causing depression, which i turn will make you worn out ad down. Any depression. Sometimes though, you just got to do it even if you dont feel like it. be honest about yourself and maybe change up your routine. Go running or cycling. Think positively.

Human710
03-27-2010, 04:05 AM
This is a really excellent read for me. Must admit that you are one of the coolest entryer I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful article

FunkDaddy
03-27-2010, 05:39 AM
I've been training now for approx 2 years, rarely having a break from it..

That's all I needed to read, you need a break bro! I'd say at minimum take 2 weeks off from the gym and recharge your batteries fully. Even after a week you might be itching to get back in there.

The pain, the drive, the determination, the motivation...they should be healthy, not self-defeating.

gregysuper
03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
IMO take some time off :D
But do push ups/chin ups/crunches, otherwise you'll loose muscle :(

breadfan1982
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
A break is needed every now and then, and 2 years is a really extreme length of time to go without taking a break.

Take a week or two off, but just make sure that a 2 week break doesn't turn into taking years off like mine did =p

Jpowers22
03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
As far as the relationship difficulties and stress, for me its been a god send to take them out on the gym. I goto the gym, take my worries, my cares, my concerns with me and by the end of my session I've got a great workout and generally some perspective.