PDA

View Full Version : Height Affecting Motivation.

Skylite212
05-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Does Height affect any 1 elses mood. Like im 5'8 and when I see a dude at 6'0 or even 5'10 come next to me on a machine and we r prbly at the same mass weight size w.e u wanna call it but he looks so much better cause of his height. It just puts me in a down mood for awhile. Makes me start saying if I was just taller id look so much better.

Just wanted to know if any 1 else gets this feeling..if so what do u do to overcome it.

SkunkMonkeY
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Does Height affect any 1 elses mood. Like im 5'8 and when I see a dude at 6'0 or even 5'10 come next to me on a machine and we r prbly at the same mass weight size w.e u wanna call it but he looks so much better cause of his height. It just puts me in a down mood for awhile. Makes me start saying if I was just taller id look so much better.

Just wanted to know if any 1 else gets this feeling..if so what do u do to overcome it.

I'm 6'4" brah, believe me the novelty wears off pretty quick. Anytime to bump elbows with a guy who towers over you, just rest easy in the fact that 10 pounds of muscle added to your frame is going to look 100x more imposing than 10 pounds of muscle added to a guy who stands taller than you are. Some of the best BB'ers are around your height, Jay Cutler, Dexter, Troy Alves, they're all monsters and under 5'9". And another advantage that a shorter guy has is leverage. When you're putting up 250 on a bench that same amount of weight is going to feel a lot heavier for a guy with longer arms.

Chin up brah, if you can't be taller than those guys, you can certainly make yourself wider.

CaMDaDDY
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm 6'4" brah, believe me the novelty wears off pretty quick. Anytime to bump elbows with a guy who towers over you, just rest easy in the fact that 10 pounds of muscle added to your frame is going to look 100x more imposing than 10 pounds of muscle added to a guy who stands taller than you are. Some of the best BB'ers are around your height, Jay Cutler, Dexter, Troy Alves, they're all monsters and under 5'9". And another advantage that a shorter guy has is leverage. When you're putting up 250 on a bench that same amount of weight is going to feel a lot heavier for a guy with longer arms.

Chin up brah, if you can't be taller than those guys, you can certainly make yourself wider.

True, true.

Cronos1247
05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I used to love being tall until I got into bb'ing.

Skylite212
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Thx SkunkMonkey made me feel better. Guess there is no point Dwelling on height since there isnt anything I can really do about it. (Lets just hope I stay with this attitude) =D

Oh and repped ya

jeffaus
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
You are what you are, its up to you to be the best you can be. Dont worry about the things you cant change, concentrate on the things you can change.
Your height doesnt mean a thing, there are plenty of short guys in my gym and I pay most of them the respect they deserve because they train hard.

johnderriLLL
05-19-2009, 07:18 PM
you cant change it why worry? i used to be a mass monster i was 336.

now that ive lost 100 pounds im just a normal size guy im not overpowering mass wise any more. yea it makes me sad but i have to live with this change.

i can say its tough not being the biggest fattest friend any more. i dont even get so much as a fat name call any more :(

you cant worry about others or you will worry all day. face your fears.

your at the gym to do something about your goals. get to it man.

imbeingcereal
05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
dude, I'm 5 foot 6. 5 foot 8 isn't even short. It's only slightly below average (VERY SLIGHTLY). I would kill to be 5 foot 8. Anything below 5 foot 7 is really short, with 5 foot 7 being acceptable imo (I mean real 5 foot 7 without shoes)

Ironlife
05-20-2009, 02:17 AM
5'8 to 5'10 is a good height bro, dont get down about it. Just focus on building more size.

SOONERbrahhh
05-20-2009, 02:31 AM

this!!^

my passion is bodybuilding and at my height going anywhere in this sport is for the most part impossible. i would honestly give anything to be ~5'10 so i could at least have a chance of living my dream. so feel luck brah

Power_11
05-20-2009, 06:54 AM
5'8 to 5'10 is a good height bro, dont get down about it. Just focus on building more size.

This. I'm about 5'9"-5'10" and while it would be nice to be tall, I know that if I was taller, I'd have to be a lot heavier to have the same looking frame and I wouldn't be lifting what I do now. I like my height. Sure, being shorter would mean I lift more and look bigger but then I'd be crossing that threshold where I'm considered short.

Trust me 5'8"-5'10" is almost perfect. However, having said this, I do have awesome respect for tall guys who manage to have an impressive frame and arm size. I know its tougher for them.

Mouzer
05-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Im about 5 -8 or 5-9 and used to feel like you OP. But as i got older i realized it's not about the height. Its all about a positive outlook and confidence. You are what you are, so be the best 5-8 guy you can be.

The shortest guy in the world can feel like he is 6-5 if he has the confidence in himself.

MrSmallz
05-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah I'm just slightly tipping the 5'6 mark. As far as training goes it's great, being able to push heavy weight that someone who has almost a foot on me can, feels good.

But.. the bad side to things is that the bigger I get the shorter it makes me look. Also, in my experience being short is not a good thing for the females. The majority of the ones I've been through would prefer a taller man...

PushIt2287
05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm sitting at 5'11 and what I would do to grow another 2 inches... I feel you OP, but we gotta make use of what we've got.

iHUNGRY
05-25-2009, 11:26 AM

He's right, i'm 6'5" @ 235 and look lean but not big, heights just in your head, like everyone has said chin up.

Pat369
05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
im 6'5 just about to top 6'6....it sucks being this tall my arms are long and it will take me 10x longer to get big arms as opposed to some one your height...i dont want to hear you complain..be thankful for your size as you will always looked more jacked then me!...good luck and hang in there

iHUNGRY
05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
haha i feel your pain, took me 2 years to get from 185 to 225.

Pat369
05-25-2009, 11:34 AM
yea and i bet that you still had to work your a$$ of for those lbs to stay on after your busted yours to get that weight..good job though keep it up

sau2004
05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Thx SkunkMonkey made me feel better. Guess there is no point Dwelling on height since there isnt anything I can really do about it. (Lets just hope I stay with this attitude) =D

Oh and repped ya

You are only 19, and you can still grow provided you eat right (milk, etc). Trust me.

iHUNGRY
05-25-2009, 12:57 PM
yea and i bet that you still had to work your a$$ of for those lbs to stay on after your busted yours to get that weight..good job though keep it up

yea and people think its hard to cut ha, you know how it is, having to shovel food down your throat every 2 hours or you will lose weight. sucks.

iHUNGRY
05-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I never understood this. Women don't find the bodybuilding look optimal. The ideal body type is a slightly less built Terrel Owens.

agreed, they seem to like the more "fit" and "athletic" look than the genetic freak. i prefer the ladder haha.

tribalart
05-25-2009, 10:24 PM
it is easy to say sometimes but,your in the gym busting your nuts thats all that i think really matters.i see people at the gym that are heavyset and i see them busting their butts cause they have a goal set. keep doing what your doing.

ownthislastime
05-26-2009, 12:06 AM
you're lucky, im short @ 5'5 :(

Zyzz
05-26-2009, 03:31 AM
You admirin perfect height?

cavinkeven
05-26-2009, 03:59 AM
i'm 34, 6'2" 168.......imagine what i look like lol. AND small boned.........SUCKS!!!! I just started working out FINALLY about 3 weeks ago. I've always been so self conscious about being so skinny.....I'm finally trying to do something about it now. Even though I'm getting too old to get the young hot chicks...lol better late than never right? Maybe I can get some of the older divorced women with 5 kids and a pot belly :) lol Keep your chin up!!

RUfootballDE
05-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Believe me, it's not all it's cracked up to be. I'm 6'2, and there is this guy in the gym who is probably around 5'9 or so, but his muscles POP. So don't be down, everyone has their positives and negatives.

Skylite212
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
hmm ive been trying to rep every 1 whos put somethin positive in here. Well after I got through repping every 1 I went to -100(not very well liked) within 2 seconds..from +10 distinguished road or w/e. Does the site like give u bad rep for repping to many people to quick?

Josh Hyaduck
05-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey there's nothing wrong with being short! I would have it no other way! (serious) :D

Lifterforlife10
05-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey there's nothing wrong with being short! I would have it no other way! (serious) :D

Very true, I am around 5'6-5'7, and I kinda hope I don't grow anymore (serious), I only wanna be about 5'8-5'9. I would actually kinda dislike being tall.

Lexodus
05-26-2009, 08:11 PM
i feel bad for guys shorter than 5'10, only because women generally go for taller guys..

i feel very fortunate to be at my height, as i was 5'4 my freshman year and ended high school at 5'10..after that, i just continued to grow..

anyways, as far as bodybuilding goes, shorter guys have the advantage, for all the reasons mentioned above by other posters. i am about to compete in a bodybuilding comp, and i am constantly thinking about how i will more than likely never place high or ever win a competition...because all the guys that will be in my class (light-heavy or heavy, depending on my fat loss) will be shorter (around your height) and have a much fuller appearance. because of this, i feel as though the only way i could ever place high, is by having superior conditioning, which is still harder for us tall guys as you short guys...so..have fun with your height brah.

Bigjay10.0
05-26-2009, 08:19 PM

I like being a quasi-manlet, I dont need to grow taller i grow wider, 5,10 205 with a low bodyfat looks intimidating and powerful 6,5 205 with a low bodyfat looks rather twiggy.

Detroit78
05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Don't sweat the small stuff (no pun intended) cause at 6-5 with shoes on my 250 just looks normal and 18 arms its nothing to brag about when you have the wingspan of a eagle, my dad is 5-7 and and 190 in his heyday was a beast, hell his younger brother hit the genetic jackpot at 5-4 and swole as sh!t. Sorry for the rambling but at 6-5 in my family I feel like I lucked out until we play basketball

ElayneTrakand
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Muscles look a whole lot better on short people.

Mr13percent
05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd love to be 5'8" or taller, but unfortunately im stuck at ~5'4", so I've just gotta make do. One good thing about being so small is definitely the illusion of looking bigger. Many of my friends think I weigh 160+ lbs..when I acutally weigh more like 135-140lbs. Ha makes me wonder what they thought when I weighed a fat 200+...

scubyfan
05-26-2009, 10:31 PM

Try being 5'5"...

ndruo
05-27-2009, 12:05 AM
This is your body.

YOUR body. No one else's.

Not that tall guy's next to you, not your girlfriend's, not your best friend's.

Make it the most finely-tuned, high-performance engine you can. When you do, you'll understand that you can do amazing things. With your body, you can train it to go for longer, move faster, and be stronger.

You are the one and only person with complete and total control of your body - both in terms of appearance and functionality.

You possess amazing things - a human mind and body. Who cares if someone else has one with longer bones.

Show some ****ing pride.

cavinkeven
05-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I LOVE being tall, just wish I'd started working out at about 20 yo lol. wouldn't trade my height for anything tho. If I can gain 10-15 lbs of muscle i'll be happy... gonna take a while I suppose without the juice lol short definately is easier in that sense

NekromanticBJJ
05-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Short stalky guys FTW.
don't feel bad, i'm like 5'6.

owlxxx
05-27-2009, 08:52 PM
im 6 foot 3 inches, my bro is 5 foot 8,
He looks way bigger, im just taller.
Imagine long arms, and short arms, now add 10 lbs of muscle to each, the short ones will looked bigger.

I would like to be 3 inches shorter. But i do the best I can with what I got.

anth342
05-28-2009, 12:20 AM
hmm height can also increase motivation, as you feel that it may be working against you, so you train harder

Ambush347
05-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I used to feel the same as well. Lifting weights and adding more size to my frame helps a lot though in terms of building self-esteem.

SteezyChr
05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
trying being my height, just remember there is always someone shorter then you. id love to be 5'8, chances are i wont.

LevroneFan2002
05-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Height is one aspect, but limb lengths, torso to leg ratio, clavicle width, body proportions generally, are also things to consider.

Ragnor187
06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I read a while back in mens health that if you sleep without a pillow you can actually add inches to your height over a period of time, something to consider....

Gemini80
06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
IMO, height does not make a guy look better. Im tall, Im 5'10 and I find myself more attracted to the shorter, built guys though, but my hubby is also 5 ' 8 so maybe thats just my prefrence. Don't let it bring you down.

MattP343
06-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm sure its been stated, but for what its worth Muscle looks better on a more compact build...at least I think so.

Animelee
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm 6'4", almost 6'5", and there's only one major advantage. Just one. Ask any tall person in the world, and they'll tell you that the only advantage is that you can reach for stuff on shelves. That is it. Really, that's it.

Girls don't go after you more, trust me. Just trust me on this. All the girls around here are paired up with short or average-heighted guys, and go after 'em like crazy. I've never been approached or flirted with or anything.

So if it is girls you're worried about, and that's why your confidence is down, don't.

urbanlifter
06-03-2009, 09:13 AM

Ever seen any 90 year old 6' + men? Being shorter has its advantages in the long run :)

JolietKev
06-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Poor you. Come stand next to me and you will seem taller. Thats probably it though. I am 5'4, well built and quite handsome :). You see, it is all about attitude and how you present yourself. My wife is about three inches taller than me, six inches in he shoes (all two hundred pair). We were walking in the mall one day when three young guys were walking by. The one about my height said when he passes "look there is hope for me". I dont think that he meantfor us to hear it. Your not going to get any taller so you may as well accept yourself and move on. If you do not like yourself, good luck finding someone that does.

akm_202
06-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Dont worry about it, you will grow.

and i would love to be at your height right now, im only 5'2 and 15 years old :p
its like what JolietKev said, its how you present yourself.

People usually never say im short, im pretty well built/ muscular, good at sports, nice and basically the best person to hang out with.

Anyone who insults your height is obviously insecure about themselves, they dont feel they are "good" so they insult other people on things that they cannot change. Its a pretty low blow in my opinion.

JolietKev
06-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Dont worry about it, you will grow.

and i would love to be at your height right now, im only 5'2 and 15 years old :p
its like what JolietKev said, its how you present yourself.

People usually never say im short, im pretty well built/ muscular, good at sports, nice and basically the best person to hang out with.

Anyone who insults your height is obviously insecure about themselves, they dont feel they are "good" so they insult other people on things that they cannot change. Its a pretty low blow in my opinion.

Well said my young friend, hpwever you are quite young and will still get taller. There is hope for you. The ladies willl love your attitude. Your story sounds like mine. A lot of people think that if you are short and well built then you have a Napoleon complex. Not True. I never gave height much of a thought because it was never a obstacle for me. I felt loved by my parents so that means a lot. I have found that people who do not accept themselves have also had to "gain" acceptance in some way from their parents. This is a llesson to parents, "LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY" !!!

Richoss
06-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Try being 5'4, id do anything to be 5'10 or 5'8, something taller. But i cant, so i got to deal with it, and not think about it, as hard as it gets

rayzon
06-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Haha man im 5'8" to and im bigger and stronger than guys who are 6 ft plus. Im never intimidated by there height because I know I can destroy them :).

Btw my stats are 5'8" 196lb now, I havent updated in ahwhile...

exy
06-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I love being at this height, I am not going to lie. It is imo the perfect height to be. Not too tall, not average.

Don't worry about height, you're given what you are given, make the best out of it, and know that it is much easier for you to look ripped than me.

exy
06-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm 6'4", almost 6'5", and there's only one major advantage. Just one. Ask any tall person in the world, and they'll tell you that the only advantage is that you can reach for stuff on shelves. That is it. Really, that's it.

Girls don't go after you more, trust me. Just trust me on this. All the girls around here are paired up with short or average-heighted guys, and go after 'em like crazy. I've never been approached or flirted with or anything.

So if it is girls you're worried about, and that's why your confidence is down, don't.

This. So agree with this.

Chicks are more likely to go with manlets. In fact, all they date is ****ing manlets.

Yes I'm mad.

Yes you feel better now.

StrongPimp
06-06-2009, 10:24 PM

I agree with this 100%. You short guys have it easy. It is real hard for me to benchpress and do all sorts of other workouts because my arms are way too long.

JolietKev
06-08-2009, 08:26 AM
This. So agree with this.

Chicks are more likely to go with manlets. In fact, all they date is ****ing manlets.

Yes I'm mad.

Yes you feel better now.

Maybe they just do not go out with you because of your attitude. Develop a better vocabulary. Maybe that will work for you. Adults who use the **** word are not generally too intelligent, or at least seen to be so. :)

chmbs1
06-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Couldn't agree more! I always hated how short guys can build up bulging biceps quicker. It took me awhile to get over that lanky arms, lanky legs hump.

chmbs1
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM

I don't think I'm a bad-looking guy. I've been told at many stages in my life that I'm actually quite the opposite, but girls steer away from me now because I'm too big. I got more looks when I had less muscle. They see me now as some kind of monster- all muscle and brawn, rather than who I really am. I'm just this massive bodyguard, bouncer type dude so in their eyes I'm probably just an ******* and don't have any feelings or heart. Girls love the cute, cuddly short guys, and love them even more when they have muscle. I guess I will confess to you short guys I've often envied you. I was 6'3'' when I was 15 and I was always awkward and clumsy- still am. lol. I hated being so much larger than my peers. I hated not being able to wear certain namebrands because they didn't make my size. I hated being the "big man".

Oh well, I tried to cheer you guys up and now I'm depressing myself. lol.

It's true what they say- it's lonely at the top.

xXCynikalXx
06-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Pssh, I'm self conscious as hell about my height, always have been. I definitely wish I was shorter, but, you're given what you're given, take that **** and work it it bro. - Cyn

TallWorkouts
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I am 6 feet 6 inches tall, and I use to be really skinny. My height and skinnyness did motivate me.....it made me more motivated!

slk110
06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
imagine how i feel... being taller than a lot of guys and not hot enough for the tall guys

BigJSizzle
06-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Im happy at 6ft 1, hopeing i dont grow much taller tbh. Id be happy at 6ft 2. Duno where i got this height from as my parents are short
I think short guys can stil look good.

di3s3l28
06-10-2009, 12:22 PM
tall guys can look good too (no homo)

Noah Steere 6'6
http://bigdonsboys.com/bodybuilders/noah_steere/images/6_6_300_noah_steere_017.jpg

http://bigdonsboys.com/bodybuilders/noah_steere/images/6_6_300_noah_steere_019.jpg

http://bigdonsboys.com/bodybuilders/noah_steere/images/6_6_300_noah_steere_002.jpg

Tim Blakely
http://bigdonsboys.com/bodybuilders/tim_blakely/images/tim_blakely_geri_halliwell_0011.jpg

http://bigdonsboys.com/bodybuilders/tim_blakely/images/tim_blakely_geri_halliwell_0002.jpg

Quincy Taylor 6'4
http://bigdonsboys.com/bodybuilders/quincy_taylor/images/6_4_300_quincy_taylor.002.jpg

http://bigdonsboys.com/bodybuilders/quincy_taylor/images/6_4_300_quincy_taylor.015.jpg

instead of wishing you were shorter, why not put that into being bigger? It can be done. I'd rather be 6'6 300 than 5'10 300. You can always add mass. You can't add height.

-GentleGiant-
06-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Don't let your height get you unmotivated. No matter how short or tall a person is the thing that counts is how YOU feel about your body and accomplishments.

lumbarjak
06-10-2009, 08:42 PM
This topic has already been covered pretty well.
At times I wish I were shorter, at times I'm glad I'm monstersize. I just let it roll off now, remembering that there are strengths and weaknesses in both.

imagine how i feel... being taller than a lot of guys and not hot enough for the tall guys

Not hot enough for the tall guys?

exy
06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe they just do not go out with you because of your attitude. Develop a better vocabulary. Maybe that will work for you. Adults who use the **** word are not generally too intelligent, or at least seen to be so. :)

Words of wisdom, thank you

I am a bright kid (no homo, bragging is green), ranked very high in my class (top 5%), but I do like saying bad words like that. I should cut down on it... well I really only use curse words on the internet... and I approach girls, I don't wait, so...

Everything went better than expected already :D

CloudSurfer
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I think if theres one thing we can learn based on the responses in this thread is that there advantages and disadvantages to both sides of the spectrum, you just have to take the good with the bad and accept it and make the best of it...

E60M5
06-11-2009, 05:13 AM

Yup, Im fairly short and my training partner is alot taller. He actually has .5" bigger arms than me but i look so much bigger in the arms.

Aim to be square if your short :D

E60M5
06-11-2009, 05:17 AM
IMO one of the Greatest Bodybuilders EVER was a short arse. The legendary Franko Columbu :)

TheAntar
06-12-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm the tallest guy I know, and doing things like squats and deadlifts is scary cause I have to go through such a big range of motion to do those exercises. Short guy doing squats the other day, its like down 18 inches, up 18 inches... np. heh.

fam_fam
06-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Yeah I'm 5'4" so i win.

Clearly the women do prefer taller men, but I like to think that the same amount of muscle on me and a taller guy will look bigger on ME. So I don't have to work as hard lol.

But seriously, it is an obstacle to getting women, and may make you feel inferior to other guys, but honestly...if you look good, and you know it, other people will know it too.

lawlz_xD
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Don't fret about small things like your height, that is not entirely up to you to change, anyways, I am 5'9 at 162-163 pounds.

Shaun113
06-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Yeah I'm 5'4" so i win.

Clearly the women do prefer taller men, but I like to think that the same amount of muscle on me and a taller guy will look bigger on ME. So I don't have to work as hard lol.

But seriously, it is an obstacle to getting women, and may make you feel inferior to other guys, but honestly...if you look good, and you know it, other people will know it too.

5'2" / 5'3" here.

I win(or lose, depends how you look at it.)

Rawsy_08
06-15-2009, 02:36 PM

that's the main reason is havn't joined a gym, standing at 5 foot 6" and still quite weedy i would look ridiculous in a gym. But my dad is 6 foot 3" and was around my height at my age so there is still hope yet :D

chmbs1
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM

I disagree- I live in central Iowa where big, tall guys come by the truckload. Some say it's the corn, I really don't know what it is. As far as I can tell, girls go for the shorter guys. All the guys I know who are big like me are single. It's the short pretty boys who get the girls.

It does irritate me to no end to see a short guy with well-rounded arms curling half of what I curl and yet his biceps bulge out more than mine.

strac
06-16-2009, 06:02 AM
im 6"5 and 170 im build like peter crouch (if u guys know who he is) my training partner can lift the exact same weight as me in almost everything hes 5"7 guess who lookes bigger and stronger...

Skylite212
06-17-2009, 10:37 AM
I was lookin around and seen that lee priest video. Noticed he is jacked then found out he is 5'4 and he looks like a beast. Anyways meaning behind that is..starting to forget the height and started focusing on the lifting. Also all of your posts here ( most anyways) helped me out. Thanks all..hope some one like me can look at this topic and can prbly help there attitude.