PDA

View Full Version : The 6 Month Goal

Nainoa
05-19-2009, 07:09 AM
I realize that there are going to be some guys who are new to lifting/fitness/nutrition, that are going to come in here...

So I figured I would share what I did to go from a guy who spent a decade "Lifting for whatever Sports Season" to a guy who got into "The lifestyle."

Now for starters, I've always said that "The biggest changes that happen in the Fitness lifestyle are mental... It's just the Physical ones are easier to see."

When I went from "A guy who lifted for the seasons" to a "Guy who lifted for a lifestyle." I was rehabbing my second knee dislocation that ended any chances of me playing football again.

As I was rehabbing my way back from "Atrophied Stick Man" I had a lot of doubts inside myself that I could keep it up... I mean in the past I always just lifted as part of a sport... After the last game it was always clean out my locker and go eat a bacon butter and cheese sandwhich... There were other times as well... But you get the point.

As I was starting to make progress with the knee, and also working upper body, I was really getting into it... And I wanted to find some way to make a commitment to myself to not just "Fall back again."

Then I caught this article that said "In order to re-program your mind into accepting something as part of your new normal routine, you have to do that thing regularly for six months."

So amongst all the usual Noob Goals, of adding an inch to arms and chest, and benching XYZ weight, while screaming "Beef Cake." I also set a hard goal of "No matter what... Keep this up for 6 months, so I can change the way my mind and body think."

Six months (Including Rest weeks, where I reviewed, and read etc...) I kept up "The Lifestyle." I kept a journal that tracked my lifts, food and gains... I checked out websites (Like how I came to find BB.com)...

I also did other things... Like I picked something I wanted (A reciever & speakers for my bedroom TV.) Every time I put in a work out... I put a Dollar into a Jar, towards buying the speakers.

I also went out and rallied up my "toxic friends" Explained what I was trying to do... And offered to bet them a Steak... If I made it 6 months they bought me a steak... If not... I bought them a steak... Between toxics and good friends, I had 13 steaks on the line...

In the end... The six months passed... I incorporated the lifestyle as a thread in the tapestry of my identity... My Knee was rehabbed and has NEVER had a re-occurance since, I owned some cheap ass speakers for my bedroom, and I had a freezer stocked with 15 various New York Strips and Porterhouses.

Later when I would suffer through a compartment hemmorage in my ankle, and various shoulder injuries it was the mental fortitude I picked up from "The Lifestyle" that helped see me through them, and become stronger than I had been before.

I think sometimes in this life is you want to make a powerful change in the fabric of who you are... Then you have to make a powerful committment... Not to say something to someone else about who you are... But to challenge yourself to see rewards in fighting out the good fight and growing stronger from it.

Ironlife
05-19-2009, 07:24 AM
wow strong post, i think that is so true especially about the money in a jar routine, you reward yourself for working out, and sticking with it knowing that a set of speakers(in your case) or something that you want is down the track. Good post.

Nainoa
05-19-2009, 07:34 AM
wow strong post, i think that is so true especially about the money in a jar routine, you reward yourself for working out, and sticking with it knowing that a set of speakers(in your case) or something that you want is down the track. Good post.

And that's just one, simple, easy example... Of "Teaching myself how to be Self Motivated."

Ultimately in the world we live in today, convenience has insulated us from a lot of the true principles about how life works.

I mean these days, for the most part, you can go out and get anything you want (Within Reason.) Look at how many people are wandering around with tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

This, along with many other Modern Insular's has bred this almost child like sense of "Me Want it... Me Want it now... Me Get it now."

Well the "Real World" doesn't work that way... And neither does you body...

So you have to creat for yourself a practice of every single day, being mindful to be patient... And being mindful to accept that "Growth Takes Time." and along that path of time, it takes "Care."

I always think of it akin to an apple tree... You don't plant a seedling on Monday and pick an apple on Tuesday...

No... You have to give it MONTHS to flower, then pollinate, grow and ripen the fruit.

Along the way you have to keep it safe from the rabbits of cheap and easy temptations, you have figure out how to control the sugar ants of impatience... You have to actively participate in the process of making yourself more than what you were the day before.

In order to really build muscle, you need to build patience, you need to build attitude, and you need to build mentality.

Ironlife
05-19-2009, 07:39 AM
True, i play football now division III not high but i am always training and staying motivated, my motivation is surviving..in terms of not getting a game due to the fact im not quick enough over 40 yards..or dont get enough touches during the game or if i dont i wont get a spot.

However i have developed weight training into my life (i would like to think) and not only just for sports, which is unfortunately alot of people cant do these days..

Nainoa
05-19-2009, 08:02 AM
True, i play football now division III not high but i am always training and staying motivated, my motivation is surviving..in terms of not getting a game due to the fact im not quick enough over 40 yards..or dont get enough touches during the game or if i dont i wont get a spot.

However i have developed weight training into my life (i would like to think) and not only just for sports, which is unfortunately alot of people cant do these days..

See I have this principle that I call "Living Forward." (Currently writing a book under this title.)

See I wake up every single day and I'm mindful to look for a personal growth opportunity. Every single day I find something... Some skill, some ability, some talent, some piece of knowledge, whatever... And I try to increase it by some fraction of 1%.

So every day I'm some fraction of 1% stronger, smarter, wiser, more informed, more prepared, more emotionally fortified, than I was the day before.

On the small scale, of the short time line... Pfft... It's very little... Call it 20 minutes of my 1440 minute day... But when you add up all those little fractions of 1% of self improvement over the course of say a decade... And you revolutionize and transform a life, into an intellectual, emotional, and physical power house state of being.

Ironlife
05-19-2009, 08:09 AM
See I have this principle that I call "Living Forward." (Currently writing a book under this title.)

See I wake up every single day and I'm mindful to look for a personal growth opportunity. Every single day I find something... Some skill, some ability, some talent, some piece of knowledge, whatever... And I try to increase it by some fraction of 1%.

So every day I'm some fraction of 1% stronger, smarter, wiser, more informed, more prepared, more emotionally fortified, than I was the day before.

On the small scale, of the short time line... Pfft... It's very little... Call it 20 minutes of my 1440 minute day... But when you add up all those little fractions of 1% of self improvement over the course of say a decade... And you revolutionize and transform a life, into an intellectual, emotional, and physical power house state of being.

Thats powerful thinking man, can that (highlighted) also be obtained through physical work in relation to football? or is that mainly something that you pick up as you go about your day from an emotional perspective?

Nainoa
05-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Thats powerful thinking man, can that (highlighted) also be obtained through physical work in relation to football? or is that mainly something that you pick up as you go about your day from an emotional perspective?

Well it depends... Anything is possible to a willing mind...

The Lakota Sioux believed that there are 4 Virtues... Strength, Courage, Wisdom and Big Heart... That each of us is born strong in one of these and must learn to cultivate the other 3 through the course of our lives.

At the same time, I believe that on what I call "The Path of Personal Power" that there are 4 aspects to the mind: Intellect, Emotional Awareness, Spirituality, and Purpose.

And that as you develop each of these it helps you learn how to better empower the others.

I beleive that both your physical life and your psyche are interactive... As you enhance one, you affect the other... And you only truly disconnect when you focus only on one, instead of the other.

For example, during my rest weeks in the early days... Body needed a break to catch up every 10-12 weeks... That's just how it is... Especially for connective tissue that takes longer to heal than muscle.

Even though it was a rest week... I made a point to take the time I would normally be in the weight room... And I spent that hour doing some above and beyond the call, style of research and reading... (Including pouring over my journal to clean "Body Knowledge.")

So even though I was resting my body my mind was still engaged at the task.

Now that's just a small simple example...

But this "Gestalt" style of thinking and living carries over into all other aspects of your life.

Just like in life, as in training you're going to come across challenges that you've never seen before... When you progressively challenge yourself on both levels, you learn on a "Personal Faith Level" what it is that you're truly made of.

So when that challenge of becoming a father shows up in your life... Or that challenge of having to rehab a serious injury after surgery, presents itself... Even though you maybe can't see the rational full journey of the experience laid out before you... You will still know "In your heart" that you are indeed capable of doing your best, because YOU have proven to YOU, that YOU can do anything if you simply try on all levels.

Ironlife
05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Well it depends... Anything is possible to a willing mind...

The Lakota Sioux believed that there are 4 Virtues... Strength, Courage, Wisdom and Big Heart... That each of us is born strong in one of these and must learn to cultivate the other 3 through the course of our lives.

At the same time, I believe that on what I call "The Path of Personal Power" that there are 4 aspects to the mind: Intellect, Emotional Awareness, Spirituality, and Purpose.

And that as you develop each of these it helps you learn how to better empower the others.

I beleive that both your physical life and your psyche are interactive... As you enhance one, you affect the other... And you only truly disconnect when you focus only on one, instead of the other.

For example, during my rest weeks in the early days... Body needed a break to catch up every 10-12 weeks... That's just how it is... Especially for connective tissue that takes longer to heal than muscle.

Even though it was a rest week... I made a point to take the time I would normally be in the weight room... And I spent that hour doing some above and beyond the call, style of research and reading... (Including pouring over my journal to clean "Body Knowledge.")

So even though I was resting my body my mind was still engaged at the task.

Now that's just a small simple example...

But this "Gestalt" style of thinking and living carries over into all other aspects of your life.

Just like in life, as in training you're going to come across challenges that you've never seen before... When you progressively challenge yourself on both levels, you learn on a "Personal Faith Level" what it is that you're truly made of.

So when that challenge of becoming a father shows up in your life... Or that challenge of having to rehab a serious injury after surgery, presents itself... Even though you maybe can't see the rational full journey of the experience laid out before you... You will still know "In your heart" that you are indeed capable of doing your best, because YOU have proven to YOU, that YOU can do anything if you simply try on all levels.

What you said at the bottom of your writing then really spoke to me, because about 3 months ago my dog i have had for 11 years developed a lymphoma cancer that was hard to take in when the vet told me and my family, and told us she had 2 weeks to live.. which was incredibly hard to hear..so anyway at that point i didnt know how i thought i would handle the situation but when the day came and she died i thought about the whole situation and realised that I CANT CHANGE what has happend nor can i do anything to bring her back.. and the moment i accepted that..i suddenly felt better and looking back at photos now and being happy not sad, the way i bounced back astounded me also and made me realise that when inevitably family members or friends pass away i have that strength i didnt know i had developed..

Nainoa
05-19-2009, 08:58 AM
What you said at the bottom of your writing then really spoke to me, because about 3 months ago my dog i have had for 11 years developed a lymphoma cancer that was hard to take in when the vet told me and my family, and told us she had 2 weeks to live.. which was incredibly hard to hear..so anyway at that point i didnt know how i thought i would handle the situation but when the day came and she died i thought about the whole situation and realised that I CANT CHANGE what has happend nor can i do anything to bring her back.. and the moment i accepted that..i suddenly felt better and looking back at photos now and being happy not sad, the way i bounced back astounded me also and made me realise that when inevitably family members or friends pass away i have that strength i didnt know i had developed..

Well what you describe there is in Philosophical circles and amongst Buddhists referred to as "The Law of Surrender." That bad things happen... And rather than rail against them in angst and self pity, you accept the good within them and use it as a means to heal.

Where this philosophy falls short, and I pick up a different slant, is in the appreciation of suffering/pain/adversity...

Ultimately all things in the universe work under the principle of Adversity is the initiating experience of growth and change.

Solar systems form rocky planets that life can exist on only after a previous star explodes in a Super Nova.

A tomato plant only hardens it's stem after being exposed to cool temps for 2 weeks.

The Muscles in your body only grow larger and stronger when you cause micro damage to them, so your body heals them thicker and stronger than before.

By understanding the Root Principles that give you success in Training you can find success in personal growth and life... And by understanding the root principles of Personal growth in your life, you can better understand the root principles that will lead to successful training.

And it's by creating this "Interactive Understanding" instead of "Reactive thinking" that you will reward yourself in wisdom and strength all through your training life.

MRob1
02-26-2010, 05:02 PM
you can do it