PDA

View Full Version : It's Time For The Gym, But You Don't Feel Like Going...

admin
05-18-2009, 02:50 PM
What do you do? What gets you off the couch or out of bed? What do you do to make sure you don't miss a workout just because you don't "feel like it" right now?

My favorite tip: Schedule your workouts in advance with your workout partner. Expect your partner to be there on time. He'll expect the same from you and you won't want to let him down and look like a lazy idiot!

josh_hill
05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
i its an off day i go fo hat reason i i start gettin fustrated because of no gains i give up for a week. i hate not goig so after a week i want to go back an i start a new routine.

euclid
05-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I approach the situation two ways:

1. If it is cardio, I just make myself do it. If I had planned HIIT but know I don't have the energy to kick it into high-gear, I'll do some prolonged medium intensity instead.

2. If it is weightlifting I will get on my recumbent bike and will ride until I get a sweat going. Once I have worked up a sweat 9 times out of 10 it will be enough to have worked me into weight lifting mode. If that doesn't work I'll do endurance sets of deadlifts - my new favorite is 1 set of 20 reps at 70-80% 1RM. 15 seconds rest in b/w each. Really gets the blood pumping.

chasebattle
05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Proceed to the mirror, take of my shirt and see I am no where near my goal. I'm not satisfied so it pushes me to get into the gym.

Joseph_1982
05-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Proceed to the mirror, take of my shirt and see I am no where near my goal. I'm not satisfied so it pushes me to get into the gym.

I do the same. :)

I have pictures posted of my ideal physique. When I'm in a rut or just not feeling it I simply use those as inspiration as well.

SanDantos
05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
For a stretch, I put a 'fat' picture of me on my desktop wallpaper...helps me with late-night cravings if I'm up screwin around on the computer. Reminds me I don't wanna look like that again.

I like the one about scheduling workouts with a partner. I was stuck at 200-205lbs for months til an old life-long friend of mine MADE me go trail-running with him. I made up 2 or 3 excuses one day after basketball and finally gave in. Then we started going 4-6 times a week and within a few, I was UNDER 200lbs! Very motivating to have someone push you. The first time we ran trails, I basically chased him, and fell about 20yards short from the end, within a month, I was doing it twice with ease. Sometimes I'd run it, then run all the way home.

dkemano42
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey,

I always think of my muscle not getting a workout and maybe not getting bigger because of it or even shrinking...even though I know this will not happen, makes me wanna get there. Course I have never had this problem. I only use this tactic when I HAVE to miss a day for some reason which is pretty rare.

DK

QuirkySarah89
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I like the fat picture idea... I don't have a consistant work out partner so modivation is totally up to me which really sucks at times. Thanks for the tip!

CloudSurfer
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
1. listen to a good song such as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p18uNMfwp34

2. Remember that my dream is to be the best

3. Remember that there is someone out there with the same goal

4. Remember that he may be training right now

5. Remind myself never to sleep on my destiny

Shhmmooove
05-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Read through the From Fat to Fit thread in the Post Your Pictures Forum, then go have a strong cup of coffee so I have no choice but to hit the gym! (I train from 8pm onwards due to overcrowded gym).

mickeylax311
05-19-2009, 07:13 AM
I look in the mirror or at this pic

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/seamonkey311/GL1ffrmJrg8G-1.jpg

DopeEfX
05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I have a notebook next to my bed. Before I hit the hay I write down what I am scheduled to do the following day, whether it be a cardio session, or a lifting session, or anything else that has to be done. I read this to myself 5 times before bed and then go to bed. Its the last thought into my brain and I found it to be amazingly helpful and it hasn't failed me yet.

hktoez
05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
1. look in the mirror
2. browse the post your pictures thread
3. youtube+pumping iron
4. look in the mirror
5. check the calendar (upcoming vacation, spring, summer)

Ted Nugent
05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a notebook next to my bed. Before I hit the hay I write down what I am scheduled to do the following day, whether it be a cardio session, or a lifting session, or anything else that has to be done. I read this to myself 5 times before bed and then go to bed. Its the last thought into my brain and I found it to be amazingly helpful and it hasn't failed me yet.

good idea, im def gonna try this! reps since your at 666 lol

Nainoa
05-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I think about all the stupid **** my boss has made me do in the pathetic decade I've spent baby sitting his lazy ass... Then on my drive home I listen to Pantera "A Vulgar Display of Power."

EdgarAllanPoe
05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
i never really have this problem

it's just part of my day now, a priority

eggs + oats + fruit + protein shake for breakfast followed by gym time....thats just how life is

sometimes my body will be sore or my back is kinda knotted up, but i never really think of not going

Pauly-Walnuts
05-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Ditto!!! Tired of being the weak fat guy!

jobber4eva
05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
A good tip is to do things you enjoy doing. If you enjoy playing basketball, you will be more inclined to do it. For me, I like boxing, so I enjoy hitting the bag. Some people like running through different areas and seeing the scenery. Same for biking, rollerblading, swimming, lifting weights, running with dog, running from dog, etc... It's important to enjoy what you're doing. And for the people that are out of shape, thinking of the things they'd feel more comfortable doing if they were in-shape is one of the best motivators, ie: I am fat and want to feel good taking off my shirt at the pool, so just think of how good it would make me feel to be able to that. Older people can think of their family when motivation comes into question. Just think that you'd like to stick around longer to be with them and so they can continue to have you in their lives. Fat teenagers (or any age), think of a girl you'd like to rail and that should keep you motivated. Also, remembering bad experiences helps to keep motivated. Let's say you were embarrased once because you were so out of breath walking up some stairs that everyone was looking at you, well when you think about exercising, just remember that time and tell yourself that you want better for yourself. And finally a good way to stay motivated is to talk about/brag about your progress each week/month. Progress is a great motivator as most people enjoy the feeling of being productive.

iDrive
05-19-2009, 04:23 PM

I don't have a notebook but this is pretty much what I do too. I'm always focused on my next workout.
I visualize it in my head, what exercises I'm going to do, the feeling I get while doing it, the feeling I get walking home after giving it all I had. Basically by focusing on the next workout I amp myself up for it and give myself high expectations so I'm excited to go to the gym.

Not to the point it has an effect on work, social life, ect. but everybody day dreams. I just daydream about working out. It's a more proactive approach ("I can't wait for the gym") rather than reactive ("oh ****... it's time for the gym...")

TheUnderdog
05-19-2009, 05:29 PM
What do you do? What gets you off the couch or out of bed? What do you do to make sure you don't miss a workout just because you don't "feel like it" right now?

My favorite tip: Schedule your workouts in advance with your workout partner. Expect your partner to be there on time. He'll expect the same from you and you won't want to let him down and look like a lazy idiot!

good tip BUT what happens when your workout partner is a lazy bum? :D jk I do workout solo a lot due to workout partners flaking...

whenever I don't feel like going I focus on one thing...just getting to the gym. I don't worry about the workout or whatever else after... I just focus on going into the gym...I know once I am through those doors I will bust it out....

johnderriLLL
05-19-2009, 06:10 PM
i think about all the stuff i missed out on while i was a fat teenager. ooooo that makes me so mad:@

yea i guess i just focus my anger. it made me lose 100 pounds so far.

im going to make sure i dont miss out on any more good stuff. ever.

corymarsh
02-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Truth never comes into the world but like a bastard, to the ignominy
of him that brought her birth.
-- Milton

bhspud
02-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I always hit the gym on my way home from work (I NEVER go home first, because I know I won't leave the house to go to the gym). Sometimes it's hard, or I'm late there, and I tell myself I will only do 30 minutes of cardio... by the time I'm done with 30 minutes of cardio, I tell myself that isn't enough and that I need to do more. Works 99% of the time. the other 1%, I play basketball :)

Group classes have also worked to get me to the gym by a specific time on certain days.

selffirst
02-15-2010, 11:33 PM

I work nights ....with my schedule motivation is do or die...sometimes I just want continue sleeping instead of dressing out and exercising.....Personally, I feel for motivation to thrive you need to develop the mindset that you working out for you.....not for your girl,or others expections....Also I meditate on how far I have come 18%bf....now working slowly before 9%bf....Motivation to truly work it has to be innate.......Good Luck to all......Self

mariusjacobsen
02-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Going to the gym in the mornings has changed my life. When the alarm goes off, I automatically get into my gym clothes (right next to my bed) and head to the gym. I don't even have time to think about whether or not I want to, or have the energy to go. I know I have to go immediately, because I need to be done in time for work - that way, it's impossible to procrastinate. It takes some time to get used to going in the mornings, but once your body adapts, you're golden!

It's a great start to the day, because once you've worked out, you want to keep it up by eating healthy as well.

prodigy1290
02-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Going to the gym in the mornings has changed my life. When the alarm goes off, I automatically get into my gym clothes (right next to my bed) and head to the gym. I don't even have time to think about whether or not I want to, or have the energy to go. I know I have to go immediately, because I need to be done in time for work - that way, it's impossible to procrastinate. It takes some time to get used to going in the mornings, but once your body adapts, you're golden!

It's a great start to the day, because once you've worked out, you want to keep it up by eating healthy as well.

true! On days I lift, I eat soo healthy. But when im not lifting, I wont even take my protein and ****, it sucks.

Kiwikind
02-16-2010, 05:27 AM
I'm pretty good at telling whether it's just laziness creeping in or if it's genuinely my body telling me that I've been overdoing it. If it's laziness or just a bit of tiredness I like to tell myself that the effort now will be worth it in the summer. I also tell myself that if I don't go to the gym then I can't have as much of the nice food I was planning on preparing that day/night.

Usually I put on some loud/fast music to get me in the mood, and then pop the ipod in and head out. I have to walk to and from the gym so sometimes I'll go to a light jog to get the blood flowing and pretty soon I'm fine.

johnnyscans
02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Mirror, music, visualization of hitting my goals for the gym that day.

mbieker1
02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I just tell myself to go, and that I'll be glad I did afterwards. And I always am.

desteph
02-16-2010, 10:06 AM
I'll take a half hour to one hour nap and then get up and feel ready to go lift.

Leni_Pocky
02-16-2010, 07:19 PM
If I don't feel like going, I don't go. But to me its like jury duty - you can only bail once, next time you HAVE to do it. If I don't feel like going and I go anyway, I either get/feel sick (if I physically dont' feel like going - this is highly uncommon) or I have a subpar workout (happens once a month or so). I get all my workouts in every week though.

A smaller reason I hit the gym consistantly is because I drop my sister off for school around 8 AM and have to have SOMETHING to do till I go to work - the earliest I'm ever scheduled for, at least so far, is 11 AM, yay food service industry. Going home isn't an option as her school is on the way to work (which is about a 40 minute drive from my house as it is - the gym is about a mile away from work). And a signifigant financial reason to go is that I'm contracted for a year, $30 a month, and if I don't go then it's money down the drain. :P

mariusjacobsen
02-17-2010, 01:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-EyRUgp9Mk&feature=player_embedded

^this will get you there

oatsmore
02-17-2010, 04:05 AM
GEkz1XK75XE

....You still going to sit on your arse all day ?

PittSOB
02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I learned a long time ago if I give myself time to come up with an excuse I will. So I just set my workout schedule in advance and no matter what I go to the gym. Sick or whatever I just make sure I go. Sometimes I have crappy workouts but at least I dont leave myself the option in the future to not go.

beazy22
02-17-2010, 04:49 PM
i also go to the gym after work before going home. it's pretty much on the way home. if i go home, i usually won't leave, so hitting the gym then going home works best for me.

ThaWorldIsYours
02-20-2010, 01:08 AM
GEkz1XK75XE

....You still going to sit on your arse all day ?

Wow man...... thanks for that video. That really gave me the chills.

ONpump17
02-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I put one foot infront of the other.

gsxr6971
02-20-2010, 08:40 PM
For me I have printed out about 4 pics from a event I was at for work on Sept 23 2009 (the same pics that got me to change my life style) I pull out those pics and look in the mirror and know I dont want to throw all this hard work away. I dont want the people that said "you will quit" or "its just a phase" to be right. I want to look those same people in the eye and show them I am not a quiter, I am doing this for me and my family.

johnderriLLL
02-20-2010, 10:43 PM
usually, i just call in sick or eat something. but really i got a buddy of mine who is a manipulator and he really gets me fired up sometimes.

osu5312
02-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I ask/tell myself a couple things. I can tell you don't want to play college football. What would that kid who ran you over do? 99% of the time that question will get me going. I don't ever really have a problem. I have an internal drive to be the best that keeps me going.

audieswu
02-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Since I have to be at work at 7am everyday, I train at night. Whenever I feel like of not going, I take a nap for 1 hour, take my pre-workout drink, head to the gym do 5-10 min. very very light cardio (usually elliptical machine) to get the sweat. Stretch for 5-10 mins. by that time I'm jacked. Also having a good pumped up music will get you fired up before/during training.

lifeofamatador
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM
i just think of the results in months to come

tk217
02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I look in the mirror or at this pic

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/seamonkey311/GL1ffrmJrg8G-1.jpg

lol

good picture bro.

trance__dreamer
02-21-2010, 02:45 PM
i think about all the stuff i missed out on while i was a fat teenager. ooooo that makes me so mad:@

^^ this. it's incredibly embarassing to be playing catch up. ugh.

midniteOG
02-21-2010, 03:00 PM
i jt hate the feeling of "not wanting" to go.. before i got sick i was killing it. went the other day and im weak as hell now.. so that only made it worse on my "ego".. but also motivated me.... but now, today i dont want to go at all. dead tired, and need to study. i usually go tuesday, thrusday and satuday....

but to get in the mood,
ill usually jump on here, check out some vids on youtube and what not

stevefrench
02-21-2010, 03:03 PM
i watch youtube at some of the biggest guys , listen to some music and just tell my self i cannot miss a day

angrydw4rf
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
I remember I'm not a bitch and go.

rotteneggz
02-22-2010, 08:26 PM
might sound a little gay but looking at men with great bodies motivates me enought to goto the gym, it puts my goals into prespective

HamMach1
02-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I wake up to this song on gym days. I have my ipod plugged into the speaker system thing, and use it as my alarm.

The first 30 seconds never fail me

XMWLS-D97I0

AzUCork
02-23-2010, 09:10 AM
i never really have this problem

it's just part of my day now, a priority

eggs + oats + fruit + protein shake for breakfast followed by gym time....thats just how life is

sometimes my body will be sore or my back is kinda knotted up, but i never really think of not going

Exactly the same for me. It's just part of the routine. No way around.