PDA

View Full Version : Oats for breakfast (what to mix with)

casticonstantinescu
05-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Recently switched from 2 cups all-bran, 1 cup skim milk, and toast & butter (400 cal)
to oats for breakfast.

I am doing 1 cup (@ 120 cals per 1/3 cup) with water nuked in the microwave.

I've tried doing a strawberry jam day 1, didn't turn out so well. Did today with a scoop of chocolate whey protein, and i kind of enjoyed it.

What are some other good ways to add some flavor to oats, as well as oat recipes in general? After the 4th-5th search page, all I've seen is shakes / pancake recipes.

WCP1200
05-12-2009, 06:31 AM
I put seeds in like Flax. Sunflower, Pumkin. Makes it taste better imo and also healthy fats from the seeds. So your getting 2 benifits.

ILIFT!
05-12-2009, 06:34 AM
1 cup oats
1 cup skim chocolate milk/carb countdown chocolate milk
2 tsp Natty PB

1 minute in microwave

profit

30g Protein 63g Carbs 15g Fats

503 cals

snorkelman
05-12-2009, 06:36 AM
I just cook my oats with water and then sprinkle on 2 packets of Splenda and eat with a whey + water shake.

casticonstantinescu
05-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Haven't stocked up on splenda / sugar since i moved into my place 3 months ago.

Anyone tried honey as a sweetener to oats?

ILIFT! , i'll have to try your recipe. that sounds good. Does the PB get soft enough after a minute to mix in thoroughly?

Ted Nugent
05-12-2009, 06:42 AM
oats + choco whey + raw cocoa = :D

i also like mixing them with a little SF syrup or some fruit or if i need a calorie punch mix in a bunch of pb while the oats are still hot and it melts all up..nom nom nom

ILIFT!
05-12-2009, 06:42 AM

ILIFT! , i'll have to try your recipe. that sounds good. Does the PB get soft enough after a minute to mix in thoroughly?

Yup, the chocolate milk helps. It's one of those 5 minute meals that are great if you're a busy guy in the morning.

edogger
05-12-2009, 06:43 AM
whey, fruit, PB, AB, crushed nuts, milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese,

Platoon
05-12-2009, 06:47 AM
try with a vanilla tea bag in water and cook oat in tea ;)

more complicated: cook oat in milk and water. leave 5-6 hours. add flour, splenda, lemon aroma, vanilla aroma.
cook in over for 40 mins.

casticonstantinescu
05-12-2009, 06:54 AM
try with a vanilla tea bag in water and cook oat in tea ;)

more complicated: cook oat in milk and water. leave 5-6 hours. add flour, splenda, lemon aroma, vanilla aroma.
cook in over for 40 mins.

Yeah ... does sound complicated. I wouldn't want to be cleaning the dish out after the oats bake and cake onto the bowl.

The vanilla tea sounds interesting though, I'm going to play with that idea and see what other types of tea might work.

I might sound crazy, but has anyone tried a bit of coffee grind and cocoa?

Lifterforlife10
05-12-2009, 07:58 AM
fruit, nuts, nut butters, ON vanilla casein, protein powders in general, milk, etc. Milk rules cause its so easy to add flavor. I currently just eat mine plain, with a banana, or with casein.
Oh, and I forgot coconut oil

skinnynerd
05-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I cook them in vanilla rice milk and once they're done, pour them into a bowel with half sliced banana, mash it all up and add some cinnamon and top it off with a teeny bit of honey. :)

BlitzKrag
05-12-2009, 08:39 AM
My advice - don't cook the oats. Get non-instant plain oats. What I do is put milk, oats, banana, protein powder, milled flax seed and yogurt in a blender. Its so much easier to drink it, especially if your in a hurry.

zmcdole
05-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Protein brownie recipe with oats:
3 tbls pb
2 tbls slenda
4 tbls divinci sugar free caramel coffee syrup
1 scoop whey (any flavor)
55-65 seconds in the microwave
tastes great.
you could just eat the sludge (good too)

lauren921
05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
I make mine with vanilla soymilk, banana, 1 tbs of PB and 1 tbs almonds. Other times I skip the PB and put cinnamon and nutmeg in the oatmeal.

casticonstantinescu
05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
My advice - don't cook the oats. Get non-instant plain oats. What I do is put milk, oats, banana, protein powder, milled flax seed and yogurt in a blender. Its so much easier to drink it, especially if your in a hurry.

But in the meantime, I have 2 kg of quaker instant oats :D

I'm stuck with the microwave and getting creative with eating them.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, there's a bunch I want to try.

dlv92
05-12-2009, 10:02 AM

i love honey with oats, thats what i grew up on, but if your trying to keep the calories low id use sweet & low

lauren921
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Honey is also fabulous over PB...not that it has anything to do with oats though!

JohnTheBlaze
05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Doesn't anyone just put the Oats in the protein drink and mix it up?

I blend up a Soy Shake (20 grams or Protein) every morning with only a 1/2 cup of oats, Blue Berries, 1/2 Banana, 9 fl oz of Lactose free milk, it will keep me good for a few hours until my next small meal. (I eat 6 small meals a day.)

YoungEx20
05-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Doesn't anyone just put the Oats in the protein drink and mix it up?

I blend up a Soy Shake (20 grams or Protein) every morning with only a 1/2 cup of oats, Blue Berries, 1/2 Banana, 9 fl oz of Lactose free milk, it will keep me good for a few hours until my next small meal. (I eat 6 small meals a day.)

Teh Estrogenz Brah! LOL J/K. Sounds real good if you're not worried about 'em though. Blueberry/Banana is always a good mix, well any Berry and Banana is good together.

gainmusclefast
05-12-2009, 01:49 PM
blueberries