PDA

View Full Version : Protein??

WCP1200
05-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I read some where before that you shouldn't count the protein in bread, rice, pasta because it's incomplete or something. Any truth to this?

21Classic
05-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Bread , rice and pasta is very low in protien as is, so its just being picky if your counting that towards your total percentage of the day.

no, dont count it, not because its incomplete, but because its so little that its almost irrelevant. Those foods are for Carbs.

BG_1
05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
eat it with meat = complete protien

in10city
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I read some where before that you shouldn't count the protein in bread, rice, pasta because it's incomplete or something. Any truth to this?
Not really. Even though they may be incomplete proteins, you are likely covering the lacking aminos at least in part thus complementing it. Layne may know a bit about protein :rolleyes:

Myth: "Don't count incomplete protein sources toward your total protein intake."

The real deal: An incomplete protein source is defined as a food lacking in one or more amino acid. I believe this myth came about in response to research that concluded that when certain amino acids are deficient in the diet, skeletal muscle protein synthesis can be inhibited. This is very unlikely to be a problem for the typical bodybuilder as the condition would only manifest itself if he or she ate a diet that was predominately based on a certain food that was deficient in an amino acid over a few days, not meal to meal. Additionally, most bodybuilders consume a complete source of protein at almost every meal because any animal product will contain the complete spectrum of amino acids. Even if one consumed an incomplete protein source at a meal there's no way a decrease in protein synthesis would occur so long as a complete protein source was consumed with this meal. One should therefore absolutely count incomplete protein sources toward their total protein intake since they're consuming the full spectrum of amino acids over the range of their entire diet.

shadowman575
05-10-2009, 04:03 PM
actually that first post is bs, there is alot of protein in bread around 4-6 grams of protein per slice of brown bread, if ur having 4 slices thats half ur protein for 1 meal, course you count it.

WCP1200
05-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I know, i was just wondering why they wouldn't count. From my oats, rice and bread i get 40-50 grams. I know its not a large amount but every bit helps.

helpmehere
05-10-2009, 04:10 PM
it counts....incomplete proteins + incomplete proteins = complete proteins?

in10city
05-10-2009, 04:17 PM
it counts....incomplete proteins + incomplete proteins = complete proteins?
You don't need to worry about trying to make complete proteins out of everything, but Google complementary proteins to see how to make complete protein combinations.