PDA

View Full Version : How much IRON is too much?

EmperorRyker
05-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Does any of the more knowledgeable people know how much iron can be too much? I've just recently given in and bought a multivitamin, just to be on the safe side, but the one thing that botters me about it is that one pill contains almost 200% RDA of iron. Presuming I get (more than) enough iron from food I eat daily, could this then be too much? Or is the absorption subpar and do I therefore get less than the actual amount in the supplement?

s.o.u.p
05-10-2009, 01:36 AM
RDI is a minimum, and 200% of it is fine.

EmperorRyker
05-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Well, I've read some stuff on iron overload, and haven't really stumbled upon an exact number, but it does seem to pose more of an issue than vitamin overloading. Plus, I'd be getting more like 300% RDA (or even a bit more), since the multivitamin would only add to what I'm already taking in from food.

Bedwards
05-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Does any of the more knowledgeable people know how much iron can be too much? I've just recently given in and bought a multivitamin, just to be on the safe side, but the one thing that botters me about it is that one pill contains almost 200% RDA of iron. Presuming I get (more than) enough iron from food I eat daily, could this then be too much? Or is the absorption subpar and do I therefore get less than the actual amount in the supplement?

I would ask in10city. He's very knowledgeable in these matters.

dunkalicious
05-10-2009, 03:08 AM
when your liver starts to fail?

EmperorRyker
05-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Yeah, presumably we don't want to actually get to that point.

in10city
05-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Males typically don't need supplemental sources of iron. While some supplemental and food sources don't have the best absorption percentages, the need to use and whether or not it will be of concern depends upon your training [iron turnover], existing supplemental sources [multi-vitamin and other iron-containing supplements], your existing dietary intake [heme iron sources like red meat, non-heme like spinach, processed & fortified food items like breads & cereals - which aren't as bioavailable as heme source generally] and your current numbers [via blood tests].

This puts some of this into perspective.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=213907251&postcount=10

With that said, when in doubt err on the safe side.

EmperorRyker
05-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I don't want to specifically supplement iron, but the multivitamin I started taking seems good otherwise, the only thing that bothers me a bit is this thing with iron. So again, do you think that'd be too much, presuming I get at least or around RDA through food anyway?

rhizome
05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I don't want to specifically supplement iron, but the multivitamin I started taking seems good otherwise, the only thing that bothers me a bit is this thing with iron. So again, do you think that'd be too much, presuming I get at least or around RDA through food anyway?
You got an answer. Is that not what you want to hear?

You don't want to tell us any background information or how much your normal diet consists of so how the fawk can the forum tell you what to do???

Any male multi with iron is probably really junk anyway.

EmperorRyker
05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, like I said, the multi I'm taking gives me 27mg of iron (192,9% RDA). Otherwise, I eat meat/fish 3 times a day, otherwise it's eggs, oats, rice, vegetables, fruit, cottage cheese, a normal "bodybuilder's diet", I'd say. As for the exercise, I work out every second day, and on the other days I jog for 40 - 45 mins. Hopefully this helps in resolving the "how the fawk can the forum tell me what to do".

roach_coach
05-10-2009, 12:28 PM
It may depend on other factors (provided you are a healthy person) like weight and whatnot. I needed extra iron because I was anemic, so I took a little extra, about 60 to 65mg.