PDA

View Full Version : Churches will NOT be forced to perform gay weddings

Minotaur
05-07-2009, 06:07 AM
I wish this could be a sticky, as I tire of writing it. It's becoming tiresome to hear that churches are going to be forced to marry gay couples.

Churches... are... not... going... to... be... forced... to... do... anything... against... their... doctrines. It's... not... going... to... happen.

I don't know where this comes from or when it's going to die.

No one has sued or forced the Eastern Orthodox Church to perform an interfaith marriage, which is against Church doctrine, now have they? Nor has anyone, to my knowledge, forced the Eastern Orthodox Church to perform funeral or memorial rites for someone who's been cremated: unequivocally against Church teaching.

No one has sued the Roman Catholic Church to marry divorced couples, now have they?

The First Amendment cuts both ways. Not only does it prohibit establishing or endorsing a national religion, it prohibits government (which the courts are part of) from interfering in religious matters.

If you keep pushing the idea that churches are going to be forced to marry gays, you are just sounding abjectly and abyssmally ignorant and uninformed.

jordansrt
05-07-2009, 06:08 AM
lol i dont think they could force a church to especialy a baptist church. even if they made it a law i think some churches would just stop having church

jordansrt
05-07-2009, 06:10 AM
and one more thing lets say it was passed as a law the worst that could happen from them saying no is probaly a ticket i mean most churches are paid off so how could they force you to use property that you own?

Steak_n_Taters
05-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Good. IMO forcing a church to perform a gay wedding is about as bad as trying to force a gay man to be straight.

jordansrt
05-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Good. IMO forcing a church to perform a gay wedding is about as bad as trying to force a gay man to be straight.

gay hate?

Minotaur
05-07-2009, 06:25 AM
even if they made it a law

There can be no law. That's the point.

Steak_n_Taters
05-07-2009, 06:29 AM
gay hate?

No, just the opposite - but I think the church should be able to do what it wants.

There are churches out there that will perform gay weddings, but the ones that don't want to shouldn't be forced to.

Would you even want to get married at a church that was just doing it because the state is making them?

jordansrt
05-07-2009, 06:35 AM
No, just the opposite - but I think the church should be able to do what it wants.

There are churches out there that will perform gay weddings, but the ones that don't want to shouldn't be forced to.

Would you even want to get married at a church that was just doing it because the state is making them?

no what good is it to make someone do something they dont want to, that would be a great wedding memory right?

Minotaur
05-07-2009, 06:51 AM
no what good is it to make someone do something they dont want to, that would be a great wedding memory right?

As it is you've got some Roman Catholic priests who are uppity and snooty about performing some weddings for couples who are both Roman Catholic. Family members went through it.

Dazd_N_Confusd
05-07-2009, 07:17 AM
This!

And also, why the **** would gay people want to be married in a church?

jordansrt
05-07-2009, 07:19 AM
This!

well alot of people get married in churches who dont even belong or go to that church, so i expect it goes the same way

ObedEdom
05-07-2009, 07:24 AM

that's a pretty close minded view of gay's, isn't it?

SDMuscleBuddy
05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
This!

Why would anyone? There are a lot of deeply religious gay people, and there are many churches where the congregation is primarily gay.

I'm not religious, but if my parents were still alive I would marry in a church for their sake.

Minotaur
05-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Even though I'm pretty much a deist, I think of Jesus as my personal manifestation of the good in the universe. Krishna and Buddha are right up there too, actually all being one and the same imo.

If my partner/husband/fiance wanted a religious ceremony, I would do it for him. I wear a crucifix on a chain, and a crucifix ring because he gave them to me and they mean something to him. They also symbolize to me the ultimate sacrifice someone can make... to lay down his life for his friends and others... whether you believe the bible Redeemer stories or not (I have hero issues... I want to die in the service or defense of someone else :o).

Moreover, there are clergy and secular officials who do take the union of any two people, gay or straight, seriously and yet with joy. I would also do it for that reason. When our civil union ceremony was over, the judge, (who I swear was more excited about it than we were), said with a sigh "Oh well, now I have to go back to work".