PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Post Workout Shake

esabet
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
While I was trying to bulk I was taking the following shake immediately post workout:

50g of Whey Protein
40g of Dextrose by NOW
40g of Maltodextrin (NOW Carbo Gain)

In about 10 weeks I gained 5 lbs but I also gained almost two inches on my belly!!!! NOT GOOD!

I have started a cutting phase now and I am trying to prepare for my next bulking phase but I think I did something wrong on the last one as I obviously gained too much fat!

Any recommendations?

P.S. I follow vey strict low fat diet (especially saturated fat) and watch very closely my nutritional intake. During bulking I was taking ONLY at most 500 excess calories per day! I do not eat any sugars except for Dextrose post workout that I mentioned above.

LatinoMusculito
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, since you are following and monitoring a strict caloric range, your solution to this unwanted fat gain is to slightly lower your calorie intake.

BUT! In 10 weeks a 5 lb gain is actually a really good thing. Alot of people, in that amount of time can gain upwards to 10-15 lbs, but a fair amount of fat. If you only gained 5 lbs, is should be mostly muscle so I say just keep doing what you're doing, and reach your strength goals, refine them, and then do a cut.

However, you say you gained fat. If you gained mostly fat, then it means that your training routine might not be intense enough and you aren't going heavy enough. You need to go deep on those muscles and really hit 'em hard, because if you did that, then a 5 lb gain in 10 weeks should be a fair amount of muscle.

On your shake: your shake has nothign to do with it. Also I say stop buying those damned carbed supplements. Why the hell do you need to supplement with carbs? Just use bananas/honey/oatmeal and buy yourself a new pair of wrist wraps so you can deadlift heavier.

If you really like the whey, keep using it but it is also not necessary. At the end of the day/week, what your overall macro nutrients are and if they are being met respectively is what matters. Not how much whey and cyto carb is in your meal #4.

esabet
05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, since you are following and monitoring a strict caloric range, your solution to this unwanted fat gain is to slightly lower your calorie intake.

BUT! In 10 weeks a 5 lb gain is actually a really good thing. Alot of people, in that amount of time can gain upwards to 10-15 lbs, but a fair amount of fat. If you only gained 5 lbs, is should be mostly muscle so I say just keep doing what you're doing, and reach your strength goals, refine them, and then do a cut.

However, you say you gained fat. If you gained mostly fat, then it means that your training routine might not be intense enough and you aren't going heavy enough. You need to go deep on those muscles and really hit 'em hard, because if you did that, then a 5 lb gain in 10 weeks should be a fair amount of muscle.

On your shake: your shake has nothign to do with it. Also I say stop buying those damned carbed supplements. Why the hell do you need to supplement with carbs? Just use bananas/honey/oatmeal and buy yourself a new pair of wrist wraps so you can deadlift heavier.

If you really like the whey, keep using it but it is also not necessary. At the end of the day/week, what your overall macro nutrients are and if they are being met respectively is what matters. Not how much whey and cyto carb is in your meal #4.

I know 5 lbs in 10 weeks is good, and that is what I thought but what makes me believe that I also gained too much fat is the fact that I also gained 2 inches on my belly! To be honest that is what really bothered me the most!!!

So if I was to keep the whey, what kind of carb would you recommend immediately post workout?

sunngodd
05-01-2009, 01:17 PM

I agree with everything stated here. Check the sticky on pre and post workout nutrition for some good info, but your shake is not your problem.

LatinoMusculito
05-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I know 5 lbs in 10 weeks is good, and that is what I thought but what makes me believe that I also gained too much fat is the fact that I also gained 2 inches on my belly! To be honest that is what really bothered me the most!!!

So if I was to keep the whey, what kind of carb would you recommend immediately post workout?

I recommend a mix of dry oats/banana/honey.

Or pretty much any fruit in there, but bananas are juts so sexy. (no homo)

sunngodd
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM

any carb is fine

bigJigga130
05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
When did u measure your belly? Perhaps you were bloated from eating. Try againg.

esabet
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
When did u measure your belly? Perhaps you were bloated from eating. Try againg.

I keep a log every week and measure on regular basis.

It was about .25 inch or so each week so at first I did not really care as people were telling me that I look bigger! That gave me confidence to keep on going but then my pants started to get tight on me and that is when it darned on me!!!

To say the least it is frustrating!

esabet
05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree with everything stated here. Check the sticky on pre and post workout nutrition for some good info, but your shake is not your problem.

I am on my second week of "cutting" and I intend to go on for an additional two weeks then start bulking again. This time around I intend to do 5x5 routine!

Maybe you guys are right and intensity is my problem!!

esabet
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
I recommend a mix of dry oats/banana/honey.

Or pretty much any fruit in there, but bananas are juts so sexy. (no homo)

How do you feel about mediteranian dates? Or are they too much "simple" sugar just like dextrose?

esabet
05-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Bump!!

double gonad
05-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use dex or malto. I also wouldn't be afraid of fats either. Check out the pre and post nutrition sticky by Alan Aragon, that should answer your questions.

esabet
05-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use dex or malto. I also wouldn't be afraid of fats either. Check out the pre and post nutrition sticky by Alan Aragon, that should answer your questions.

I know about the thread and wanted to read it but it is so long that it will take me more than a week to read! I guess I am being lazy!