PDA

View Full Version : I'm so tired of fans interfering during MLB games

thefullmonte
04-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Even as a Yankees fan that play pisses me off. No ther major sport deals with this. What a joke...I've watched no less than five instances of this already this year.

MA5Bergey
04-19-2009, 12:53 PM
lol like the Steve Bartman incident...

I couldn't watch the game today though (at my dorm)... I'm listening on the radio... it appears the fan didn't really interfere, that the ball was already over the fence.

thefullmonte
04-19-2009, 12:58 PM
lol like the Steve Bartman incident...

I couldn't watch the game today though (at my dorm)... I'm listening on the radio... it appears the fan didn't really interfere, that the ball was already over the fence.

umm...that's a close call...I obviously don't have the benefit of replay like the officials...but the fans glove was most definatly over the fence and in the field of play....and it was clearly a catchable ball

thefullmonte
04-19-2009, 12:59 PM
FYI---MLB should have addressed this after the Bartman incident.

MA5Bergey
04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
umm...that's a close call...I obviously don't have the benefit of replay like the officials...but the fans glove was most definatly over the fence and in the field of play....and it was clearly a catchable ball

like i said, all i have is radio and basically whatever john sterling said. but the announcers were saying it appeared to be a homer, and the umpires confirmed that it was a homer, so it either was indisputably over the fence or there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the decision.

thefullmonte
04-19-2009, 01:03 PM
There seems to be quite a bit of discussion about it....by people that are obviously far more informed about MLB rules than you or I...so I'll defer to them

My point was simply that is shouldn't be an issue in the first place

VernonWellsFargo
04-19-2009, 01:03 PM
simple make the stands 10-15 feet farther back

thefullmonte
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
simple make the stands 10-15 feet farther back

I think 5-6 would be sufficient

thefullmonte
04-19-2009, 01:11 PM
FWIW...the announcers are now saying they think the wrong call was made

SuperAmmo
04-19-2009, 01:13 PM
like i said, all i have is radio and basically whatever john sterling said. but the announcers were saying it appeared to be a homer, and the umpires confirmed that it was a homer, so it either was indisputably over the fence or there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the decision.

It was very clearly not a home run, the fan interfered with Crowe's chance to get the ball.

My opinion is biased admittedly but it was definitely a ****ty call.

svmoney6
04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
It was very clearly not a home run, the fan interfered with Crowe's chance to get the ball.

i have to agree with this.

and with whoever said keep a 5-6 ft gap between the fence and the seats, it seems like common sense...

thefullmonte
04-19-2009, 01:21 PM
i have to agree with this.

and with whoever said keep a 5-6 ft gap between the fence and the seats, it seems like common sense...

it only makes sense....too much rides on plays like that

svmoney6
04-19-2009, 01:28 PM
it only makes sense....too much rides on plays like that

exactly. you would think a billion dollar stadium would have that

ChicagoCubz
04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I've been tired of it for going on 6 years.

MA5Bergey
04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I've been tired of it for going on 6 years.

So has Moises Alou.

JIGSAW
04-19-2009, 08:25 PM

WTF game were you watching.?????..CLEARLY A HOMERUN.

CLEARLY. I watched it 10 times on MLB Network and even they all said they got it right.....

ApatoJay
04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
orioles vs yankees where the kid interfered was much more epic then the bartman... alou wasnt catching that ball

east football
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Today in the brewers and mets game a mets fan reached over in foul territory in left field (almost exactly like bartman actually) and caught the ball and tey called JJ Hardy out. That was the dumbest thing I ever saw that would have been a really hard catch for the outfielder to make, should have just been a foul ball.

ilikebeer
04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
someone point me to the video or story plz

weakguy
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't understand why these stadiums build their outfield walls with stands that you can easily reach over? Do like they do at wrigley and put a basket so even if a fan reaches over it would be a HR anyways. Foul territory is another story but the outfield fences are an easy fix.

ChicagoCubz
04-19-2009, 09:47 PM
A fan reached for a foul ball at a Cubs game last week and fell out the gate onto the field.

The_Albatross
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't understand why these stadiums build their outfield walls with stands that you can easily reach over? Do like they do at wrigley and put a basket so even if a fan reaches over it would be a HR anyways. Foul territory is another story but the outfield fences are an easy fix.

the basket was put in place to catch all the fat clumsy drunks that fall forward while catching fly balls in the bleachers.

_Translucency
04-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Easily - the fan's hand was over his glove. The ball was catchable and I am absolutely dumbfounded as to how they did not change their call upon watching the replay.

Today in the brewers and mets game a mets fan reached over in foul territory in left field (almost exactly like bartman actually) and caught the ball and tey called JJ Hardy out. That was the dumbest thing I ever saw that would have been a really hard catch for the outfielder to make, should have just been a foul ball.

Yes - I was watching this game live, as I am a Mets fan. The fan clearly interfered with Daniel Murphy. However, it would have been a very tough ball to catch and I am surprised they gave them the out. What amazed me even more was that the New York Mets were the home team and one of our fans interfered with one of our players in an attempt to catch a ball and get an out.

The Milwaukee Brewers had a legitimate gripe - it was at Citi Field, the Mets home stadium, and one of their fans decided to interfere with a ball that would have been a tough catch regardless...and you call our player out? Even as a Mets fan, this bothered me.

Something needs to be done about this - ban fans that blatantly interfere with the game. We are spectators and nothing more; we should not have an impact on the outcome of a game.