PDA

View Full Version : Cramping biceps - from using the phone!?

JonnyStead
04-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Hey chaps

Do you guys get this? After an arms day, I have to be careful not to hold up a phone to my ear with the same arm for too long. I dont feel any pain during this but when I put the phone down, my bicep feels like I'm pulling out of a cramp and worse than that it then feels like a pulled muscles for at least a day afterwards! This has only started recently since I've dropped the weight slightly and upped the reps during my cut -

I'd welcome your thoughts!

Junonuting
04-18-2009, 02:35 AM
I get the same thing, when i do back and biceps, my biceps cramp up, and makes it really hard to shower! but it ends like the next day.

Tyrbolift
04-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Hey chaps

Do you guys get this? After an arms day, I have to be careful not to hold up a phone to my ear with the same arm for too long. I dont feel any pain during this but when I put the phone down, my bicep feels like I'm pulling out of a cramp and worse than that it then feels like a pulled muscles for at least a day afterwards! This has only started recently since I've dropped the weight slightly and upped the reps during my cut -

I'd welcome your thoughts!Happens to me all the time. maybe it's my phone.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/17/technology/personaltech/gordon.L.jpg :D

Seriously, yeah, it's weird. You train for years and can lift 'x' weight 'x' times, and then in regular daily life the stupidest things are difficult to do while you are in "healing" mode.

JonnyStead
04-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Happens to me all the time. maybe it's my phone.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/17/technology/personaltech/gordon.L.jpg :D

Seriously, yeah, it's weird. You train for years and can lift 'x' weight 'x' times, and then in regular daily life the stupidest things are difficult to do while you are in "healing" mode.

lol great post mate - to for the advice too - repped on recharge!

JOHN GARGANI
04-18-2009, 03:38 AM
there are several bad side effects from holding a phone for long periods of time....

one of the most insidious ones is the effect on the TMJ, for people who tend to have this problem.

Tyrbolift
04-18-2009, 03:50 AM
there are several bad side effects from holding a phone for long periods of time....

one of the most insidious ones is the effect on the TMJ, for people who tend to have this problem.Is that some medical lingo, Dr. Gargani?

jellodirt
04-18-2009, 06:57 AM
How big is you phone? J/K this happens to me on occasion too, also my ear will sometimes get sweaty and my shoulders will tire. I just talk on the phone less...

BergMuscle
04-18-2009, 07:04 AM
I know that if I hold my arm too long in a bent-elbow position, like if I'm carrying something in front of me, my bicep will start to "lock up" regardless of how light the object is. Never had it happen holding a phone, but I guess if the bicep is held contracted for an extended period of time it could happen with nothing at all in your hand.

JonnyStead
04-18-2009, 07:11 AM
I know that if I hold my arm too long in a bent-elbow position, like if I'm carrying something in front of me, my bicep will start to "lock up" regardless of how light the object is. Never had it happen holding a phone, but I guess if the bicep is held contracted for an extended period of time it could happen with nothing at all in your hand.

That seems like the same effect I get - I wonder if there is a supplement to help with it or maybe its dehydration? hmmm...

jellodirt
04-18-2009, 07:27 AM
or maybe its dehydration? hmmm...

That's what I've always attributed it to.

JOHN GARGANI
04-18-2009, 08:08 AM
sorry TYRB!

TMJ refers to the Tempero Mandibular Joint....which is essentially the process of the jaw bone that meets the skull, with a ball and socket type relationship, not unlike with the hip......

it is a "hinge" of sorts, with a sling of muscle on either side to support.....

unfortunately, like the lower back, it is a focus of stress and other problems and many people have "TMJ" problems.....

since it occurs right next to a nexus of 5 different nerves, the pain can radiate to both jaws, and down the neck, up the temple as well as to the inner ear......

it can be hell........when you are recuping from it, or if you are prone to it, holding that phone against the jaw and constantly talking is total hell for it...

McJimmie
04-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Hey chaps

Use a hands free set !

Marius_Ursus
04-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey chaps

Lactate buildup in the muscle induces cramping with sustained contraction. That's all that's going on.