PDA

View Full Version : Question on poundage (split routine)

Northeasterner
04-16-2009, 11:47 AM
In preparation of my new split, I just realized that I won't have a neat, mathematical progression on poundage increases as I did w/ 5x5.

For example, what is better?...

bench press 200x6-8, 3 sets

OR

bench press 190, 195, 200lbs x 3 sets (10, 8, 6)

Can't wait to hit the weights Monday night... will feel weird to be doing dumbbell bench presses, seated cable rows, overhead tricep extensions etc again.

bustasinclair
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
set up an excel spreadsheet and make cells for 1 rep max's.

Have your workouts calc % of 1 rep max cells

ex: I do 70% 75% 80% 85% 90% progression

LyingSac
04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
set up an excel spreadsheet and make cells for 1 rep max's.

Have your workouts calc % of 1 rep max cells

ex: I do 70% 75% 80% 85% 90% progression

spread sheet?...spread sheet?.....what the hell is the world coming to....Ingrain it into your brain and remember what you have done....Spread sheets get all messy when you"SWEAT" on them.

bustasinclair
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
spread sheet?...spread sheet?.....what the hell is the world coming to....Ingrain it into your brain and remember what you have done....Spread sheets get all messy when you"SWEAT" on them.

I guess it comes from being an accountant....I LOVE spreadsheets; gimme any reason to create one and I will, lol

ironwill2008
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
In preparation of my new split, I just realized that I won't have a neat, mathematical progression on poundage increases as I did w/ 5x5.

For example, what is better?...

bench press 200x6-8, 3 sets

OR

bench press 190, 195, 200lbs x 3 sets (10, 8, 6)

Can't wait to hit the weights Monday night... will feel weird to be doing dumbbell bench presses, seated cable rows, overhead tricep extensions etc again.
There really isn't a "better;" pyramiding up or doing "sets across" are equally effective.

Pick whichever looks good to you right now, and commit to it for 6-8 weeks. Keep a written log of your progress, week-to-week. At the end of your 6-8 weeks, change over to the other scheme, and log those results. At the end of this time, you'll have some valuable personal data to make sound judgements in which works best for you. That will then be the "better" method, until you test others, and find one that is more productive.

Really, the bottom line is, it isn't the routine, or rep scheme, or anything else you do that is more important that the effort and intensity you put into whichever scheme you train by. Even a less-than-ideal routine, worked hard, will always provide better results than the "best" routine, done haphazardly, and inconsistently.

Northeasterner
04-17-2009, 08:37 AM
There really isn't a "better;" pyramiding up or doing "sets across" are equally effective.

Pick whichever looks good to you right now, and commit to it for 6-8 weeks. Keep a written log of your progress, week-to-week. At the end of your 6-8 weeks, change over to the other scheme, and log those results. At the end of this time, you'll have some valuable personal data to make sound judgements in which works best for you. That will then be the "better" method, until you test others, and find one that is more productive.

Really, the bottom line is, it isn't the routine, or rep scheme, or anything else you do that is more important that the effort and intensity you put into whichever scheme you train by. Even a less-than-ideal routine, worked hard, will always provide better results than the "best" routine, done haphazardly, and inconsistently.

Never thought of this "comparative" approach. I was actually thinking of running my new routine for 4 weeks and then getting a new (but similar) split for the next 4 weeks, to go to a THIRD, different split afterwards... the whole muscle confusion thing.

But now that I think about it, it's the reason experienced lifters know what works and doesn't, and how all these myriad routines that have been proven to work are now available.

Thanks, Ironwill2008. :) Can't wait till Monday night... gotta give the muscles (and joints) all the rest they can get before starting hypertrophy. I'm excited!