PDA

View Full Version : stuck on bench. help please.

boathead
04-15-2009, 09:50 AM
on bench, i am stuck on 225 for 9 reps. been 3 workouts now, and i am NOT close to getting a 10th...the 9th is a struggle and a half.

any suggestions how i might break this barrier.

my warmup is
bar x 10 or so
135 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 1
then i hit the 225.

i believe i am getting a workout sufficient to have a positive training effect...after that 225 set, i pyramid down for 4 sets. and i think my recovery is adequate...4 or 5 days between...but obviously something is off.

i'm determined to get to 15 reps. don't ask me why, but i am.

ironwill2008
04-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Try doing a few weeks of heavy triples (3-rep maxes), then go back to your current routine. By then, you should be able to blow right past your plateau.

T.C.
04-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Perhaps a little too much warming up.. ?
Try 135 for 10 as warm up and go straight to 225 for as many reps
as possible...

Also if you are already able to get 225 for nine, I would think your 1 rep max is a little over 265...

boathead
04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Try doing a few weeks of heavy triples (3-rep maxes), then go back to your current routine. By then, you should be able to blow right past your plateau.

hmmm...i was trying to stay in a hypertrophy range, but i like the idea. anything wrong with doing that, and then finishing with a set or two of a lower weight for higher reps?

Perhaps a little too much warming up.. ?
Try 135 for 10 as warm up and go straight to 225 for as many reps
as possible...

Also if you are already able to get 225 for nine, I would think your 1 rep max is a little over 265...

i was thinking maybe my warmup was too little...what i've been doing is not fatigueing for me in the least, and it contains a few weight acclimation reps. but clearly i am doing something wrong, so maybe you are right.

and yeah, i think i should be over 265 also....i haven't tested my 1 rm in a while, and maybe it is time.

Arlecchino
04-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Where do you stick? What does the rest of your routine look like? Do you have any injuries? Do you stretch properly? What tempo are you moving the bar at? What is your bent over row in comparison to your bench?

boathead
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Where do you stick? What does the rest of your routine look like? Do you have any injuries? Do you stretch properly? What tempo are you moving the bar at? What is your bent over row in comparison to your bench?

i stick on the last rep maybe 5 inches off my chest going up on the last rep...i've been able to push through it so i can rack it, but no way i'm getting another rep....normally there is noone around to spot me.

my routine today was this:
warmup as listed above
225 x 9
205 x 10
185 x 10
155 to failure
that is all i do for chest.

no injuries (torn bicep tendon at the shoulder, had surgery 14 months ago), and little stretching going on for my upper body.

temp...hmmm...never paid much attention, but i suppose i'm about 1.5 secs down, and 1.5 up.

row: definately behind my bench....i presently do tbar rows with 135lbs plus the weight of the contraption for 3 sets of 12.

Arlecchino
04-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Work on your lat strength, as well as your shoulder and tricep strength. Lats will help with the initial blast out of the bottom, and shoulders and triceps are far more responsible for benching power than the pecs.

For specific work you can bench in the power rack from pins set just below your sticking point.

bodyhard
04-15-2009, 10:38 AM
I used to be stuck at 225lbs for a looong time. I was warming up (or should I say killing my strength) too much. Until I chnage my routine and then I shot up to 315 and eventually 365.

This is what I was doing

135lbs 15x
185lbs 8x
205lbs 6x
225lbs 4x

Man that was always tough getting 225lbs for 4.

Then I switch (thanks to the help of a pro-BB)

I started doing this.

Warm up 95lbs 20x
Warm up 135lbs 15x

Rest 3-5 minutes
225lbs 10x
275lbs for 4-6

I kept that up till I got to 365 for 1 rep max.

boathead
04-15-2009, 10:53 AM
excellent stuff guys. THANK YOU.

i am going to try the different warmup.

and work on my lat strength...been meaning to tackle them with prioritized effort anyway.

but shoulder strength...what can i do? i do standing overhead press, but cannot/will not do raises....i perhaps shouldn't have said no injuries, as i am riddled with arthritis, and the raises really kill em. and no dips.

what else? imo, i think my shoulder strength is adequate...i'm at a bw oh press...handle 60lb db's on seated press with little difficulty.

triceps are a work in progress, but i am hitting them....every other workout i do some close grip bench work...but i've been doing light weight/high reps..maybe i should raise the weight a bit.

jellodirt
04-15-2009, 11:31 AM
That's a lot more warming up than I do. I do about 20 reps with the bar, 10 reps with 130, and 5 reps with 180 (and 15 reps @ 10lb L-Flys). You'll pass it I just think the higher the weight the slower the gains will come.

Arlecchino
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
excellent stuff guys. THANK YOU.

i am going to try the different warmup.

and work on my lat strength...been meaning to tackle them with prioritized effort anyway.

but shoulder strength...what can i do? i do standing overhead press, but cannot/will not do raises....i perhaps shouldn't have said no injuries, as i am riddled with arthritis, and the raises really kill em. and no dips.

what else? imo, i think my shoulder strength is adequate...i'm at a bw oh press...handle 60lb db's on seated press with little difficulty.

triceps are a work in progress, but i am hitting them....every other workout i do some close grip bench work...but i've been doing light weight/high reps..maybe i should raise the weight a bit.

Well, yeah, you said no injuries other than your surgery and arthritis.

:)

What do you do for your posterior delts and upper back? Can you do bent laterals, facepulls, etc?

CGBP is an exceptional tricep builder as well as being very specific to the bench. Extensions, both DB and BB are very good.

aneas
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Lots of good suggestions here. How is your bodyweight? If that starts going up bench press numbers sure to follow.

afterguard
04-15-2009, 11:43 AM
on bench, i am stuck on 225 for 9 reps. been 3 workouts now, and i am NOT close to getting a 10th...the 9th is a struggle and a half.

any suggestions how i might break this barrier.

my warmup is
bar x 10 or so
135 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 1
then i hit the 225.

i believe i am getting a workout sufficient to have a positive training effect...after that 225 set, i pyramid down for 4 sets. and i think my recovery is adequate...4 or 5 days between...but obviously something is off.

i'm determined to get to 15 reps. don't ask me why, but i am.

Just my 2 cents, but if you can do 9 reps at 225, you can obviosly bench more. I would move up to 235 or 245 for a few reps. Get used to the heavier weight, then see if you can get those 15 reps @225.

Good job by the way.

groink
04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
First off, three workouts isn't exactly an eternity.....give yourself a little time dude.

second the guy who said work on your sticking point in the cage is on the money

bustasinclair
04-15-2009, 11:47 AM
If you're stalled out, maybe focus on incline for a while and see what numbers you can get over there.

I always use the old standard 10-8-6-4-2 (70%-75%-80%-85%-90%)progression from the high school days, but lately, I have strayed. Not sure what that is called, but I always made good gains with it.

boathead
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I just think the higher the weight the slower the gains will come.

i think you are right. tough for this ocd idiot to accept.:)

What do you do for your posterior delts and upper back? Can you do bent laterals, facepulls, etc?

bent laterals i can do with only light weight. facepulls impinge on something and so i'm wary.

Lots of good suggestions here. How is your bodyweight? If that starts going up bench press numbers sure to follow.
easier said than done! i'm getting there though.

Just my 2 cents, but if you can do 9 reps at 225, you can obviosly bench more. I would move up to 235 or 245 for a few reps. Get used to the heavier weight, then see if you can get those 15 reps @225.

Good job by the way.
i hear you...but i just got off madcow and was doing 250 for 5. don't think that is my issue.

First off, three workouts isn't exactly an eternity.....give yourself a little time dude.

second the guy who said work on your sticking point in the cage is on the money
ugggh. don't have access to a power rack. trying to find one on craigslist for my foyer. :)

I always use the old standard 10-8-6-4-2 (70%-75%-80%-85%-90%)progression from the high school days, but lately, I have strayed. Not sure what that is called, but I always made good gains with it.

hmmm. maybe i need to stay with sets across at 225, instead of pyramiding down. good advice.

ironwill2008
04-15-2009, 12:16 PM
hmmm...i was trying to stay in a hypertrophy range, but i like the idea. anything wrong with doing that, and then finishing with a set or two of a lower weight for higher reps?

I wouldn't do that. I'd go with several sets of 3's, and then allow my body to adjust to that heavier weight.

You've received a lot of good, and varied, info in this thread. It's up to you to decide a course of action for yourself.

BuffetKing
04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
No lifting for 5 days.

Then do this, it worked like a charm for me, and a few other I know.

Day 1- bench 2x5, squat 2x8, row 2x5, bb curl 2x10

Day 2- inc bench 2x5, dead 2x8, pulldown 2x8, hammer curl 2x5

Perform each routine every 5th day until you have done day 1 and day 2 5 times each.

No lifting for 5 full days then start your old routine, you will have mad gains, as long as you are not a cardio bunny.

Oh yeh, 15 x bw for calories will suffice. I did it all on CKD and still had super gains.

afterguard
04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
No lifting for 5 days.

Then do this, it worked like a charm for me, and a few other I know.

Day 1- bench 2x5, squat 2x8, row 2x5, bb curl 2x10

Day 2- inc bench 2x5, dead 2x8, pulldown 2x8, hammer curl 2x5

Perform each routine every 5th day until you have done day 1 and day 2 5 times each.

No lifting for 5 full days then start your old routine, you will have mad gains, as long as you are not a cardio bunny.

Oh yeh, 15 x bw for calories will suffice. I did it all on CKD and still had super gains.

Dude, that post needs to be in the beginners forum.....