PDA

View Full Version : Starting Strength or Madcow?? Anyone want to help?

Thunderman
04-15-2009, 07:26 AM
I am not a beginner by any means, I am a very rigid weight lifter that considers myself strong and fit. But not "Buff". I want to give one of these workouts a try but don't know which one to try. I have been on a floating routine for years, which means I do whatever LOL. I am leaning towards the madcow one but need some advice from the studs on the board.

Thanx!

Old-Time-Lifter
04-15-2009, 07:29 AM
You've already got a thread going on this.......... what's up?

boathead
04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
ss or madcow...has nothing to do with experience...it has to do with the ability to recover workout to workout (ss) or week to week (madcow).

i have never tried ss, simply because i had ZERO confidence in these bones recovering in 2 days for the next workout. i was more comfortable doing a heavy/light/medium split, all with the goal of effecting a positive training effect for the next heavy day.

JonnyStead
04-15-2009, 11:31 AM
I havent done SS either - but I've had great results with madcow's 5x5

Fifty+
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I am not a beginner by any means, I am a very rigid weight lifter that considers myself strong and fit. But not "Buff". I want to give one of these workouts a try but don't know which one to try. I have been on a floating routine for years, which means I do whatever LOL. I am leaning towards the madcow one but need some advice from the studs on the board.

Thanx!

Regardless of which routine you follow (SS or Madcow) they offer you something besides strength training. They offer a disciplined program to follow which is completely the opposite of a "floating" routine. I've used the Madcow system and liked it. IMO, a system that uses a higher rep sequence to failure worked better for adding mass then the 5x5 system. HST, FST-7, Abbreviated Training or even Heavy Duty. Actually, any routine you develop that is planned out on paper with weight and/or rep increases over time offer more then what you described as your normal floating schedule. It isn't the routine that makes things happen, it's the intensity you put into every rep and the consistancy you put into every week.

egoatdoor
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanx!

Some of us have already responded to your other thread on a very similar question. Why did you start this one?

egoatdoor
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Thanx!

Some of us have already responded to your other thread on a very similar question. Is this the same thing or has something changed? I'm not flaming on you, just wondering....:confused:

Thunderman
04-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Whoops! My bad on that. I thought I asked it in another thread in the middle of the thread. I put it as a title to grab more responses. I am just trying to figure out how I want to go about my new routine, I don't know a lot of routines but the one I ahve been doing for a long time. 3 sets of 10, rinse repeat LOL

egoatdoor
04-16-2009, 01:18 AM
I think you said in the other thread you've been lifting for awhile and was an athlete?

If so, Madcow Beginner may be the way to go. You may be past the need to do Starting Strength.

Your thoughts?

Thunderman
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks egoatdoor! I am in excellent shape, very fit and pretty muscular for a guy who weighed 125 15 years ago. I am 6'2" and 185lbs now..... right around 12-13% bf.I am not sure what workout I am going to try, My only concern is that there is not arms in the workout. How do I compensate for this?

BrotherWolf
04-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks egoatdoor! I am in excellent shape, very fit and pretty muscular for a guy who weighed 125 15 years ago. I am 6'2" and 185lbs now..... right around 12-13% bf.I am not sure what workout I am going to try, My only concern is that there is not arms in the workout. How do I compensate for this?

You need to do the program as written, if you change things it won't work as it should.
there is plenty of arm work in those programs, how do you think you perform a overhead press, power clean, rows or chinups ?

Dave76
04-16-2009, 10:22 AM
My only concern is that there is not arms in the workout. How do I compensate for this?

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm#File%20Download

Look at the last line of the Friday workout.

Ano1
04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
I did SS several months back and am in the middle of 5x5 now. I liked SS and it worked well, but squating heavy 3 times a week got to be too much for my joints. I definitely like the light day in the middle of the week with 5x5. I'm also a fan of doing BP 2x per week on 5x5, whereas SS calls for bench press 3 times every 2 weeks.

ironwill2008
04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Starting Strength is a beginner program, written so as to maximize newbie gains. Starr/Madcow is intended for more intermediate lifters. Decide where you're at, and pick the appropriate program.

As BrotherWolf already stated, don't mess with either program. Commit to do it as written; otherwise, you'll short yourself of it's benefits.

egoatdoor
04-16-2009, 08:57 PM

Its one of the hard to die bodybuilding myths that you need to work arms directly to make them grow.

If you do big muscle compound exercises, the whole body will grow including the arms. Starr/Madcow is heavily based on benching, deadlifting, presses and rows. These are going to work your bis, forearms and tris for sure.

I just finished my second week of Starr's Intermediate 5x5 and the only direct arm exercise I have done is 2 sets of 20 rep close grip bench presses during that time. My bis and tris ( from a ton of bench and military presses) are noticeably bigger, as is the rest of my entire body.

Thunderman
04-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Is that from the elitemadco spreadsheet program I downloaded?
Its one of the hard to die bodybuilding myths that you need to work arms directly to make them grow.

If you do big muscle compound exercises, the whole body will grow including the arms. Starr/Madcow is heavily based on benching, deadlifting, presses and rows. These are going to work your bis, forearms and tris for sure.

I just finished my second week of Starr's Intermediate 5x5 and the only direct arm exercise I have done is 2 sets of 20 rep close grip bench presses during that time. My bis and tris ( from a ton of bench and military presses) are noticeably bigger, as is the rest of my entire body.

egoatdoor
04-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Is that from the elitemadco spreadsheet program I downloaded?

Not exactly, but its close. Starr wrote an article in Muscle Mag a couple of years ago about using 5x5 for advanced bodybuilders. It had a more varied number of assistance movements which you can rotate week to week. This is where the close grip bench presses come in which are not in the template.