PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Math

bustasinclair
04-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok, so I'm a follower of Tom Venuto's theories on fat/weight loss as I assume many of you are as well.

From time to time, I catch some glimpses of the reality series, "The Biggest Loser", and it boggles my mind how these people lose so much weight. Kneejerk reaction would be to say, "Oh, it's mainly water weight", but how can it be water weight when they consistently lose the weight week in and week out.

I was just doing the math on 8 lbs of weight loss which is not the most you'll see on that show, but assuming that was 80% fat loss and 20% water/other, that would be 22,400 calories burned beyond food intake or 3,200 calorie deficit per day.......I guess it's possible. When I was in Boot Camp, I can remember some full day humps in full battle gear that probably burned 10,000 calories.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think there is some type of 'drama intervention' in the results?

Old-Time-Lifter
04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
It's all lipo............. ;)

Apollo.1
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Ok, so I'm a follower of Tom Venuto's theories on fat/weight loss as I assume many of you are as well.

From time to time, I catch some glimpses of the reality series, "The Biggest Loser", and it boggles my mind how these people lose so much weight. Kneejerk reaction would be to say, "Oh, it's mainly water weight", but how can it be water weight when they consistently lose the weight week in and week out.

I was just doing the math on 8 lbs of weight loss which is not the most you'll see on that show, but assuming that was 80% fat loss and 20% water/other, that would be 22,400 calories burned beyond food intake or 3,200 calorie deficit per day.......I guess it's possible. When I was in Boot Camp, I can remember some full day humps in full battle gear that probably burned 10,000 calories.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think there is some type of 'drama intervention' in the results?

I'm torn with this show, because I enjoy watching it (for the most part), but I also don't agree with the unreal expectations they are putting on people watching the show that if they "only" lose 4 lbs in a week, the world is coming to a close. It cracks me up when somebody loses 4 or 5 lbs on the show, and they stand up there all defeated and sad.

Honestly, I think the reason they are able to lose that much weight in such a short period of time is because they have nothing better to do. Think about it. They leave their jobs, families, and other responsibilities behind and then they have personal trainers and nutritionists riding their butts the whole time. They do TONS of cardio every day, mixed with multiple weight lifting sessions, along with whatever exercise they get from their challenges. Try that while working full time with all your other responsibilities. Also, keep in mind that a 5'8" 380 lb lard is going to lose more weight than someone that has 25-50 lbs to lose before they are at their ideal weight.

Also, very rarely have I seen a male physique on the show that I would want to emulate. Most of them are just fat thin people after they're done. They're basically smaller versions of their fat self. No biceps, no traps, no pecs. Just thinner than they were. Some break the mold and come to the finale looking pretty good, but I bet you the months they were at home losing the last 25-50 were hard as hell.

I've never seen such horrible form lifting weights in my life. These folks have a trainer standing right by them, and yet they are allowed to do curls with chicken wing bent arms where they just hurl the weight up without any form or control whatsoever. It also bugs me that they push so much "healthy" junk food on the show (I know, they're sponsors...). I'm sorry, but Subway, Jello, and most of the other crap they push that is filled with chemicals and empty calories just isn't that great for you. Better than some other choices? Yes, but still not that great on a regular basis.

dbx
04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Well.........there's an old joke that goes something like this;

Q.) What's the difference between Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune?

A.) Watching Jeopardy, you might feel stupid because you don't know the answers. But with Wheel of Fortune....you feel stupid for just watching it.

Reality shows = Wheel of Fortune

Just sayin'........... :)

bustasinclair
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Honestly, I think the reason they are able to lose that much weight in such a short period of time is because they have nothing better to do. Think about it. They leave their jobs, families, and other responsibilities behind and then they have personal trainers and nutritionists riding their butts the whole time. They do TONS of cardio every day, mixed with multiple weight lifting sessions, along with whatever exercise they get from their challenges. Try that while working full time with all your other responsibilities. Also, keep in mind that a 5'8" 380 lb lard is going to lose more weight than someone that has 25-50 lbs to lose before they are at their ideal weight.

I agree 100%.....give me 6 weeks with no responsibilities and let's see what what I can do :D

bustasinclair
04-14-2009, 02:46 PM

A.) Watching Jeopardy, you might feel stupid because you don't know the answers. But with Wheel of Fortune....you feel stupid for just watching it.

I'm with ya....the worst one has to be Rock of Love. Hasn't the dude figured out that groupies do not make a wife? But I guess he's made an insane amout of money from all of it.

Derek.c
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM

ROFL That sums it up ^^^^

bebeklein
04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, whatever the numbers are, I applaud them all for making lifestyle changes and although they have a team working to help them, if you're 300 lbs + you're going to need that kind of an intervention. And I think in no way does that take away from the credit they deserve. It's not easy shedding 100+ pounds, mentally or physically.

They may not have the physiques you strive for, but I don't think it's realistic to expect muscle gains in the amount of time the show covers. I'm always amazed by what they have accomplished in such a small time frame (under a year) - to me it's an incredible feat.

MT_Pawkits
04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
I gave up watching it.

It's great that they want to loose the weight but listening to their whiny asses go on and on about a little pain or sweat is pathetic.

Besides I think the personal trainers are smart like stump!

T.C.
04-14-2009, 04:44 PM
assuming that was 80% fat loss and 20% water/other, that would be 22,400 calories burned beyond food intake or 3,200 calorie deficit per day.......I guess it's possible.

I believe here is where you are wrong, Not exact numbers obviously,
But in losing 8+ pounds weekly it would be more like 60% muscle & the other 40% between fat/water...

dbx
04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I believe here is where you are wrong, Not exact numbers obviously,
But in losing 8+ pounds weekly it would be more like 60% muscle & the other 40% between fat/water...

Wow, thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

egoatdoor
04-14-2009, 07:43 PM

YES!!!!

And when the cameras go off and they return to their normal lives, they gain the fat back again.

egoatdoor
04-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Who was it that said " Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public"?

wild_wild_wes
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't watch the show...how long do they go? You would think that rate of weight loss would be unsustainable over the long term.

But I agree with your Boot Camp experience. In Marine boot we must have burned 10k calories per day...but we also stuffed our faces three times a day in the chow hall. Still, I lost over 60 lbs in my 3 month stay in sunny San Diego...

crupiea
04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
You have to figure that this is their full time job. They dont have to go to work or care for kids or anything.

I believe they eat like 1000 calories per day or something like that and they arent really conceren with how much muscle that they lose. You never see them carrying a notebook around and tracking their weights to ensure they are lifting more at the gym.

They work out 2 sessions per day which are mainly cardio. I think each workout is like 2 hrs long. Dont quote me on this but I saw tgis on another site and it made sense.

Also is you are starting at 400 lbs its going to be fairly easy to see some big numbers on the scale when working this hard. I also honestly think that they fatten up before the show once they know that they have been picked so they will appear to lose more the first week.

I alsways find it odd that these people go through this intense interview process that has to include multiple sessions with business people and doctors. Then they step on the scale the first day and they are shocked that they weigh as much as they do. Do you mean to tell me that you had no idea how much you weighed after months of waiting for shooting to start? It doesnt seem to make much sense to me.

I like the show in that it shows that it can be done but I think it could emphasize diet a bit more. They normally only touch on it when they are pushing a product. They rarely get into the nuts and bolts of it.

Then they make it look like the only way tp lose weight is to kill yourself in the gym, of course that part is sponsored by 24 hr fitness so they want you to think that.

Then people start a diet, try hard in the gym and dont eat right and wonder why they didnt lose 14 lbs in 1 week.

They they are on a huge calorie defict and starving and thats it, diets dont work, I guess i am just made this way, which way to the hostess aisle?

Of course the show wouldnt be as good if they just showed some guy measuring his food and working out everyday and losing 2 lbs per week.

Skidmarx
04-15-2009, 03:08 AM
I almost made it through 1 episode.

I'll never understand how people let themselves go that far in the 1st place. Don't they have mirrors in their homes?

To me that show is a celebration of mediocrity, taking an obese person and getting them close to normal. That's nothing special to me. Now taking a normal looking person and getting them shredded, or bulked up with muscle, or turning them into a world classes runner or something...that's notable. There wouldn't be any interest at all in the show if the American public weren't such lard asses.

Speaking of lard...

I went to a water park in Orlando last week. I've never seen so much fat in one place, it was disgusting. I felt like shredded wheat among all the beer bellies, triple chins, and moobs....and I'm not even shredded. :D

thomasale
04-15-2009, 04:34 AM
Can't watch it...too much fun stuff to do. :)

Deborah_Lyn
04-15-2009, 05:18 AM
I've been watching it this past year. It helps sometimes with motivation.

The women consume 1200 calories, guys 1800 calories. So, there's a huge deficet. But, they never learn how to eat at maintenance weight, which I think is why they balloon up afterwards.

Cardio averages about 4 hours. I did not realize their gym session was 2 hours. I would have expected to see a lot more muscle on the contestants like Tara. I have more muscle pump than her, lol. But, I could not run a half marathon like she did a few weeks ago. Wow, that was amazing.