PDA

View Full Version : to cheat or not

mab311
04-11-2009, 04:36 PM
well im not one to cheat because i honestly enjoy my broccoli, nat pb, cottage cheese, oatmeal, and other clean foods too much..so its rare for me to raelly go off how i eat. the problem is with easter being tommorrow, its a family function so bringing my own food to a relatives can be kinda tough as only my immediate family is aware of my goals, but i honestly dont want to eat the holiday food anyway..i also dont know if its really neccessary for me to have a cheat, the only thing close to cheat i get is having an extra bowl of oatmeal about once a week to give myself a little fill up on carbs. my diet is 40-45c/30p/25-30f.

justanotherchik
04-11-2009, 04:49 PM
if you really don't want to cheat why don't you just eat normally tomarrow for every meal except dinner. for that meal just have some ham, turkey, potatoes, stuffing, whatever it is you guys eat and eat that in moderate portions. you don't have to eat tons of chocolate or anything tomarrow but it will probably save you alot of fighting if you eat at least some of the family dinner.

JurassicMass
04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I would just enjoy the holiday food and eat until you are satisfied. Unless you are in contest prep, I wouldn't bring your own food to Easter dinner. Don't consider Easter as a cheat, think of it as a day to enjoy with your family and enjoy a variety of foods that you usually don't eat. The day after Easter, get back to your normal diet and enjoy.

Enjoy yourself, don't worry about macros tomorrow.

Elmy
04-11-2009, 04:52 PM
To live or not :confused:

Seriously though, it's Easter, just enjoy being with family and friends and eat however you'd like whether it's food you eat on diet or not, just enjoy the occasion. :)

ElvisC
04-11-2009, 04:53 PM
well cheating is very opinionative (sp?)

For example one person may scarf down an entire XL Pizza, while another person may just have another serving of Natural PB and call that their cheat.

Personally If you can do without then great but if you wanna keep your mental sanity without over doing it then grab something.

If I cheat i usually eat one of the following

1 - Chicken wings
2 - Pizza
3 - Ben and Jerrys Light Ice Cream (Yogurt)
4 - big ass sammich

remember when you cheat you'll pack on some water but don't get all frustrated, it'll come right off.

PoweredByCoffee
04-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Stop thinking about it as a major cheat day. My suggestion would be to eat healthy before you go to your relatives (and eat ENOUGH so that you don't arrive hungry), at your relatives try to make the healthiest choices you can and eat light if there are not enough many decent selections, and then eat healthy at home when you get hungry. (That's my plan anyway).

You sound just like me when I used to have this all-or-nothing mentality--like it was either eat completely strict or have this all-out cheating...but it doesn't need to be that way. (Of course, if you feel like throwing away the diet for a day to just indulge then go for it--My point is that it doesn't HAVE to be one or the other though. You can still go out and eat there without having a "lost day.")

Also, from my experiences (also as a 17-year-old female), eating my own packed food instead of anything served at family occassions isn't a good idea---especially for someone like you who is under 120 lbs. The same goes for showing that you're measuring/counting your food...Relatives will often jump to "EATING DISORDER" conclusions, or they'll just tempt you with the "Oooooh just live a little and have a slice of cake" kind of mentality.

Don't stress about it :)

dentonate
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
cheat.

i started my bulk after being obsessive abot my weight.

i just ate my easter dinner and didnt stress over it. first time i enjoyed a family meal in a long time.

mab311
04-11-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks for the advice, im just gonna eat my normal day but switch out a meal for my easter dinner which will satisfy both me and my family..i just gotta relax and enjoy the day, there aint nothin wrong with that..it wont be a major cheat cause i cant even take those, i normally will feel horribly sick for a few days if i cheat big so im just gonna go with a small portion of whatever is served..but thanks for all the input, definitely helpful!

and yeah being 17 and just losing about 20 lbs a couple months ago, some of my family still thinks im dieting and trying to get too skinny or to the point of having an eating disorder cause i still measure my food, which is not the intention..im basically just eating my matienence to slowly gain LBM and lose fat..i just care about what i eat which is hard for the typical italian mostly overweight family to understand, they dont have any regards to what they eat where i have to make my own meals and buy my own food. and if i didnt, veggies would be no where to be found!

PoweredByCoffee
04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
thanks for the advice, im just gonna eat my normal day but switch out a meal for my easter dinner which will satisfy both me and my family..i just gotta relax and enjoy the day, there aint nothin wrong with that..it wont be a major cheat cause i cant even take those, i normally will feel horribly sick for a few days if i cheat big so im just gonna go with a small portion of whatever is served..but thanks for all the input, definitely helpful!

and yeah being 17 and just losing about 20 lbs a couple months ago, some of my family still thinks im dieting and trying to get too skinny or to the point of having an eating disorder cause i still measure my food, which is not the intention..im basically just eating my matienence to slowly gain LBM and lose fat..i just care about what i eat which is hard for the typical italian mostly overweight family to understand, they dont have any regards to what they eat where i have to make my own meals and buy my own food. and if i didnt, veggies would be no where to be found!

Haha, sounds way too familiar... I know that tomorrow the only kind of veggies I will find at our Italian feast will be things like asparagus [fried in batter] and sweet potatoes [drowned in butter] :p

But yeah, I think your approach to just eat normal/healthy except to just enjoy your Easter meal with your family sounds good. :)

dentonate
04-11-2009, 05:51 PM
my family never understands when i lose weight they freak out because they love their fried foods and ice cream haha. family is definitely one of the hardest parts to losing weight

Marion_Cobretti
04-11-2009, 05:52 PM
to the OP: dont worry dude.. i cheatmealled all day today.. beer pasta nachos, snkacks.. probably 7k calories

xl Achilles lx
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
How often do you celebrate Easter? Once a year. Seriously, loosen up and enjoy yourself a bit. There's no reason whatsoever to be strict 365 days/year.

Theenforcer1
04-11-2009, 06:03 PM
cheat.

i started my bulk after being obsessive abot my weight.

i just ate my easter dinner and didnt stress over it. first time i enjoyed a family meal in a long time.
yet you just made a topic asking if you should do some situps and pushups to help burn off said dinner...

dentonate
04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
yet you just made a topic asking if you should do some situps and pushups to help burn off said dinner...

no. i just didnt know for sure if when on a bulk, you rest 100% on your rest days.

ARGBLARG
04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
How often do you celebrate Easter? Once a year. Seriously, loosen up and enjoy yourself a bit. There's no reason whatsoever to be strict 365 days/year.
Pft, who wants advice from someone with all that flab.

/sarcasm

dontjudgeme
04-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Cheat on that one main meal, eat a bit less on your other meals, but don't go overboard either way. Personally I'm eating lamb, mashed potatoes with gravy, and some casserole, plus one roll.

I have a game plan though already on how much I plan to eat, and personally plan to weigh out my food as I always do. For a huge azz plate that will stuff me, it will be about 1500 calories. I figure to go over for the day by 600-700, which is not to bad.

So see, you can eat your meal and really enjoy it, but not do much damage if you just use your head. Also, I don't think it's bad form to bring your own food to someone's dinner if their family, as long as you explain why you felt you must. I've both done it, and had it done to me. It's not a big deal.

Better yet though, just bring a digital scale and some knowlege on many calories are in the food. If they get upset that you weighed your food out, then F them, their a just a jerk anyway.

Enjoy and Happy Easter!

PS. If you lift before you eat, then you can also put that protein to good use.

Greater Deity
04-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Don't think of it as a cheat. Think of it.. as a very hefty meal. But a good one. :) Just eat, and enjoy yourself while doing it. Don't calculate every g/mol of everything you put in your mouth.

After all, this meal is just on occasion right?!

- Deity

Theenforcer1
04-12-2009, 04:59 AM
if you seriously weigh your food at a celebratory family dinner I feel bad for you. Unless your competing within the next week there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for you to do **** like that. Just have a good time with your family, there are only finitely many moments you have to spend with them.

Simmo0508
04-12-2009, 05:07 AM
well im not one to cheat because i honestly enjoy my broccoli, nat pb, cottage cheese, oatmeal, and other clean foods too much..so its rare for me to raelly go off how i eat. the problem is with easter being tommorrow, its a family function so bringing my own food to a relatives can be kinda tough as only my immediate family is aware of my goals, but i honestly dont want to eat the holiday food anyway..i also dont know if its really neccessary for me to have a cheat, the only thing close to cheat i get is having an extra bowl of oatmeal about once a week to give myself a little fill up on carbs. my diet is 40-45c/30p/25-30f.

Not just for Easter in this case, but if you ever have to go see your family etc. just take your meals with you in containers. If you don't feel like or can't eat what they have or is being served, then you can always have your own thing.

It's not an excuse or outlet to flat out cheat on your nutrition imo. Again, depends what's being served. Some families have really good food on offering, so you won't see things as a "cheat" anyway. Can never beat meat and salad, any time of the year.