PDA

View Full Version : Protein bars?

Jmar21
04-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks about protein bars?

Own3r
04-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Most of them are loaded with crap quality ingredients and lots of sugar alcohols that to me taste like ass. There are some good bars that are a bit pricier but never the less very good.
My favorite is Zero Impact by VPX, great bar, no sugar alcohols and tastes super.

Jmar21
04-11-2009, 04:32 AM
i have the pure protein bars and they taste good to me just put them in the micro for about 30 seconds.

But are bars good for a inbetween meal if you dont want to have shakes every day i actually look forward to the bars. i eat 2 pure protein bars witch equal out to 390cal

\J/
04-11-2009, 04:34 AM
why dont you make your own

Simmo0508
04-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Don't like them, they're pretty crap imo.

The ones i see usually have a ton of sugar, a ton of fat, and very little protein for the retail price. It's often soy protein and WPC and all these other cheapo combos when it comes to the protein.

For the same price you can buy a few cans of tuna and be way better off imo.

maori-rap
04-11-2009, 04:42 AM
I've only ever had 3 protein bars ever, put off by

A the price for what you get
B The ingredients

It may boast 30% protein on packaging, but at the same time your taking in alot of sugar, additives and other ****. Not a good source of nutrients IMO.

Jmar21
04-11-2009, 04:47 AM
The pure protein bars are low carb with 17g crb, 6 gram of alcohol suger and 2g of sure, 20 gram of protein.

Does this make it a good bar

Sixpack
04-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Glorified candy bars, a waste IMO

dentonate
04-11-2009, 06:18 AM
like everyone says. crappy ingredients and expensive. however, i love them for a snack inbetween classes (being in highschool) so i eat one everyday. by favorites are the big 100 colossal. taste great and not horrible quality. i ate a mass xxx yesterday as a meal replacement cause i wasnt home. 510 cals 76g carbs 40g protein. not horrible. but if you can stick with whole foods like tuna youd be way better off.

xxx_hockey
04-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't eat them to replace food ever, but if you're a student or very busy throughout the day I'd say it's better downing a protein bar than not eating at all. I bought a box of Optimum Lift bars and eat one when I'm at school all day and can't afford to go make a meal

xxx_hockey
04-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Glorified candy bars, a waste IMO

Sixpack, wondering what you thought of the ON lift bars, noticed you were affiliated with ON. If you can't say I understand haha

Guai
04-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Way too expensive for what you get.

WheyAddict
04-11-2009, 08:17 AM
The pure protein bars are low carb with 17g crb, 6 gram of alcohol suger and 2g of sure, 20 gram of protein.

Hydrolyzed Gelatin as a protein source... no thanks.

Sixpack
04-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Honestly I don't eat them either, not a fan of bars in general, Too many added ingredients to make them taste somewhat good

Sixpack, wondering what you thought of the ON lift bars, noticed you were affiliated with ON. If you can't say I understand haha

Analyst
04-11-2009, 08:28 AM

They also contain maltitol (a sugar alcohol) as a lo-cal sweetener and softener, which is indigestible and for me, and a lot of people, basically a laxative.

I sometimes wonder, when new bodybuilders trying to get a lot of protein complain about digestion, if it's not because they're using store-bought protein bars with sugar alcohols in them. I know it messed me up for a while until I figured out what was going on.

Skim milk has about as high a concentration of protein per calorie as the pure protein bars.

7ABSOLUT7
04-11-2009, 08:31 AM

c3KREjvUTzM
This is all you need.. The blueberries give it an extra tastegasm