PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drinks, going to kill us in the long run?

MikessekiM
04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
When I was 15 I did serious keto and lost about 65lbs. Went from 230 to 160lbs. Anyone who has done keto will know the fatigue that sets in. Since then I have been drinking energy drinks, low-carb of course. Back in the day it used to be bad for me, I would drink atleast 2 sometimes 3 a day! Once I took a reality check on that I cut it down to 1 or maybe 1 every few days. Now being 19 and in college I have started drinking them again, maybe 1 a day sometimes 2. Still drinking the sugar free ones though. I just feel like they are to good to be true, I mean they taste awesome (to me atleast), they wake me up, and to be honest they sort of put me in a good mood (probably not so good). I am just wondering if these drinks have long term effects on possibly your blood pressure or what?

Also, I read once that its not the caffeine or the guarana or anything like that, its the acidity of them...any truth in that? Thanks guys, I'll rep for solid answers

Amoral
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
When I was 15 I did serious keto and lost about 65lbs. Went from 230 to 160lbs. Anyone who has done keto will know the fatigue that sets in. Since then I have been drinking energy drinks, low-carb of course. Back in the day it used to be bad for me, I would drink atleast 2 sometimes 3 a day! Once I took a reality check on that I cut it down to 1 or maybe 1 every few days. Now being 19 and in college I have started drinking them again, maybe 1 a day sometimes 2. Still drinking the sugar free ones though. I just feel like they are to good to be true, I mean they taste awesome (to me atleast), they wake me up, and to be honest they sort of put me in a good mood (probably not so good). I am just wondering if these drinks have long term effects on possibly your blood pressure or what?

Also, I read once that its not the caffeine or the guarana or anything like that, its the acidity of them...any truth in that? Thanks guys, I'll rep for solid answers

Nothing that doesnt have sugar is too good to be true. People have been drinking pop since the 50s? don't worry about it.

Dolfan_714
04-09-2009, 01:16 PM

read through the diet pop thread on the same page. Sugar free Energy drinks are = to diet soda's

MikessekiM
04-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Is it in a sticky? or a recent thread?

dontjudgeme
04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
First of all I feel these energy drinks are nothing more then legal liquid crack. I see twelve year olds constantly at the store buying armfuls of these with their money, and riding off on their bikes. It's really sick when you think about. I think their should be a law that bans their sale to kids under 18. No twelve year old should be addicted to that sh*t. These drinks at 7-11 aren't even cheap, yet their parents wont' buy them by the case at the store. It forces them to sneak around and buy them when they jones for caffeine. It's F'd up.

I personally don't do caffeine at all any more and here's my very true cautionary tale.

I don't drink caffeine at all now. I'm not morman, I have acid reflux and caffeine hurts me real bad. When I was in my mid twentys I was drinking about the equavalint of like 50 to 100 cups a day if you add in the high caffeine drinks from star bucks, 5-10 a day for free, long story, on top of the actual coffee, on top of the soft drinks, on top of the red bull.

*It wasn't allways that way, it just started small and got out of hand. Just like with any drug*

I'm pretty sure that's why my valve at the bottom of my throat is now permanently damaged and can't keep the acid out. I"ll pay for it for life.

Plus all that caffeine made me stay awake sometimes for 50 hours at a time. The acid in my throat would jolt me awake over and over so that I couldn't sleep execept if I passed out from sheer exhaustion. Almost went out of my freaking mind as I couldn't give up the java juice that only made it worse. Had to go on zoloft. I'm being totally serious here.

Then it took three years to find the right med to control my reflux so that I didn't think I was having a heart attack all the time. Keep in mind I was still drinking coffee still. I end up with PTSD. I always thought I was going to die of a heart attack, couldn't drive, lost my job, which led me to lose my apartment, move in with my mom, and so on. I'm totally serious now, all that happened because of the PTSD brought on by the acid reflux, brought on my the caffeine.

I finally ended up at the county hospital as it's free and I was broke and finally some doctor who looked twelve got me on nexium for free. That helped a ton. Saved my life, really as I wished I was dead all the time. It would take almost two years to fully over come the PTSD and all it's fun effects. I was unemployed for years during my late twentys.

Finally after years of hell I kicked that nasty habit. I'm now caffeine free and feel great. I have tons of energy and sleep very well. I still have acid reflux, allways will I suppose, but I guess it could be worse.

Keep drinking that sh*t though. Go for it. See what happens. :(

Oh yea, one more thing, the acid reflux is rotting my teeth out of my skull. I'm now half broke from my dentist, and now have to get my teeth fixed at the dental college by students. I'm looking at two teeth exractions, and fourteen crowns at the moment. All brought on my the acid reflux, brought on my the caffeine addiction. I used to have perfect teeth and am a major brusher. :) It's all good for the student though as each tooth is so F'd up, that she is learning a ton. My mouth is always sore from the shots and stuff they use around the gums to take molds. Lot's of caffeine is great though. Keep drinking those loaded caffeine drinks.

Peace

Opies
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
energy drinks rule. Get off that sugar free crap and start drinking the sugar loaded ones. So much better

Dolfan_714
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Is it in a sticky? or a recent thread?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115447321

it's recent but if u do a search I'm sure there is plenty of topics. Bottom line is moderation is the key. JMO

MikessekiM
04-09-2009, 01:37 PM
First of all I feel these energy drinks are nothing more then legal liquid crack. I see twelve year olds constantly at the store buying armfuls of these with their money, and riding off on their bikes. It's really sick when you think about. I think their should be a law that bans their sale to kids under 18. No twelve year old should be addicted to that sh*t. These drinks at 7-11 aren't even cheap, yet their parents wont' buy them by the case at the store. It forces them to sneak around and buy them when they jones for caffeine. It's F'd up.

I personally don't do caffeine at all any more and here's my very true cautionary tale.

I don't drink caffeine at all now. I'm not morman, I have acid reflux and caffeine hurts me real bad. When I was in my mid twentys I was drinking about the equavalint of like 50 to 100 cups a day if you add in the high caffeine drinks from star bucks, 5-10 a day for free, long story, on top of the actual coffee, on top of the soft drinks, on top of the red bull.

*It wasn't allways that way, it just started small and got out of hand. Just like with any drug*

I'm pretty sure that's why my valve at the bottom of my throat is now permanently damaged and can't keep the acid out. I"ll pay for it for life.

Plus all that caffeine made me stay awake sometimes for 50 hours at a time. The acid in my throat would jolt me awake over and over so that I couldn't sleep execept if I passed out from sheer exhaustion. Almost went out of my freaking mind as I couldn't give up the java juice that only made it worse. Had to go on zoloft. I'm being totally serious here.

Then it took three years to find the right med to control my reflux so that I didn't think I was having a heart attack all the time. Keep in mind I was still drinking coffee still. I end up with PTSD. I always thought I was going to die of a heart attack, couldn't drive, lost my job, which led me to lose my apartment, move in with my mom, and so on. I'm totally serious now, all that happened because of the PTSD brought on by the acid reflux, brought on my the caffeine.

I finally ended up at the county hospital as it's free and I was broke and finally some doctor who looked twelve got me on nexium for free. That helped a ton. Saved my life, really as I wished I was dead all the time. It would take almost two years to fully over come the PTSD and all it's fun effects. I was unemployed for years during my late twentys.

Finally after years of hell I kicked that nasty habit. I'm now caffeine free and feel great. I have tons of energy and sleep very well. I still have acid reflux, allways will I suppose, but I guess it could be worse.

Keep drinking that sh*t though. Go for it. See what happens. :(

Oh yea, one more thing, the acid reflux is rotting my teeth out of my skull. I'm now half broke from my dentist, and now have to get my teeth fixed at the dental college by students. I'm looking at two teeth exractions, and fourteen crowns at the moment. All brought on my the acid reflux, brought on my the caffeine addiction. I used to have perfect teeth and am a major brusher. :) It's all good for the student though as each tooth is so F'd up, that she is learning a ton. My mouth is always sore from the shots and stuff they use around the gums to take molds. Lot's of caffeine is great though. Keep drinking those loaded caffeine drinks.

Peace

Wow I feel this is a extreme extreme version of what I am talking about. But I am sorry to hear about that, good job getting over it

dontjudgeme
04-09-2009, 04:48 PM
WTF! Opies gave me negative rep points, and now I'm negative 500 and looking like a douche? I don't know what his problem is with what I wrote, but why did I drop so much? That's crap.

Oh well. :(

belairdfence99
04-09-2009, 06:04 PM

Caffiene and Taurine have shown to numerous benefits before exercise for energy and after exercise for recovery. However, both have diuretic and addicting effects. If you find that you RELY on these energy drinks and just don't use them to wake up, then cut them out and try eating more food and carbs. Of course they are pretty acidic so make sure to keep your teeth clean and drink extra water, to help your kidneys and to reverse the diuretic effects.

Opies
04-09-2009, 06:54 PM
WTF! Opies gave me negative rep points, and now I'm negative 500 and looking like a douche? I don't know what his problem is with what I wrote, but why did I drop so much? That's crap.

Oh well. :(

I negged you because you are blaming energy drinks and coffee for your own failures

JH34PG
04-09-2009, 06:57 PM
damn 2 or 3 a day?!? i have a full case of monster i got for free... i limit myself to about one a week...there not good for you but i dont drink coffee

titdoctor
04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
They make my heart pound out of my chest. I don't need pre-workout supplements to feel good, I'm always jacked and ready to make myself stronger.

dontjudgeme
04-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I negged you because you are blaming energy drinks and coffee for your own failures

It's not if that's what happened, it's a fact. My caffeine addiction took me down for a while. You acting like a narcissist who cheap shots people doesn't change that. I guess your just a superior being. Me, I'm involved in a little thing called life, and in life bad things happen. I don't see what had happend to me as being failures, I see them as being part of my life. I guess if I had given up then maybe, but I fought back and here I am moving on.

Of course just like a former coke addict has responsiblitly to tell his tale, so do I. If that bothers you, then flake off and go pester someone else. I'm not going to let people like you disprupt my good time on this forum.

BTW, my mom got cancer the last two years in a row and it really took a toll on her life. I guess she's a failure, right?

Man theirs something really wrong with you.

butters2009
04-09-2009, 11:02 PM
i am da coon

MarkVI
04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
energy drinks are amazing, i love them. I have about 3 a week, maybe 4 (and I somehow score them for free ;) ).

Greater Deity
04-09-2009, 11:09 PM
i am da coon

What the **** is this?!

Opies
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
It's not if that's what happened, it's a fact. My caffeine addiction took me down for a while. You acting like a narcissist who cheap shots people doesn't change that. I guess your just a superior being. Me, I'm involved in a little thing called life, and in life bad things happen. I don't see what had happend to me as being failures, I see them as being part of my life. I guess if I had given up then maybe, but I fought back and here I am moving on.

Of course just like a former coke addict has responsiblitly to tell his tale, so do I. If that bothers you, then flake off and go pester someone else. I'm not going to let people like you disprupt my good time on this forum.

BTW, my mom got cancer the last two years in a row and it really took a toll on her life. I guess she's a failure, right?

Man theirs something really wrong with you.

lulz

"When I was in my mid twentys I was drinking about the equavalint of like 50 to 100 cups a day"

Caffeine isn't a hard drug dude. It's not like you were helpless and couldn't change if you wanted. You just made a dumb decision to use that much caffeine and then didn't do anything to fix it and let your "addiction" (lol) get out of control. Yea sounds like failure to me.

Yea man bad **** happens to everyone, but this is your own responsibility and it's like you're blaming the world, blaming star bucks and 7-11, blaming energy drinks, coffee and soda, and blaming the government for having caffeine readily available for you.

MarkVI
04-09-2009, 11:14 PM
lulz

"When I was in my mid twentys I was drinking about the equavalint of like 50 to 100 cups a day"

Caffeine isn't a hard drug dude. It's not like you were helpless and couldn't change if you wanted. You just made a dumb decision to use that much caffeine and then didn't do anything to fix it and let your "addiction" (lol) get out of control. Yea sounds like failure to me.

Yea man bad **** happens to everyone, but this is your own responsibility and it's like you're blaming the world, blaming star bucks and 7-11, blaming energy drinks, coffee and soda, and blaming the government for having caffeine readily available for you.

Ah....to be 19 and not have experienced real life. Addictions are real so STFU and GTFO.

Opies
04-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Ah....to be 19 and not have experienced real life. Addictions are real so STFU and GTFO.

U MAD BRAH?

lol. You think I'm saying addictions are not real? Dude I probably have more experience with addiction than you do.

What I'm saying is caffeine addiction is BS. Caffeine is not addicting like other drugs are. Yea you get withdrawal symptoms for a few days like irritability nausea and headaches when you abruptly stop after heavy use, but that's about it. Hundreds of millions of people drink caffeine yet you don't see too many caffeine rehab clinics out there, and for good reason. Sorry but I have no sympathy for people who make dumb decisions then try and act like it was anything other than their own stupidity.

MarkVI
04-09-2009, 11:23 PM
U MAD BRAH?

lol. You think I'm saying addictions are not real? Dude I probably have more experience with addiction than you do.

What I'm saying is caffeine addiction is BS. Caffeine is not addicting like other drugs are. Yea you get withdrawal symptoms for a few days like irritability nausea and headaches when you abruptly stop after heavy use, but that's about it. Hundreds of millions of people drink caffeine yet you don't see too many caffeine rehab clinics out there, and for good reason. Sorry but I have no sympathy for people who make dumb decisions then try and act like it was anything other than their own stupidity.

lol, ok I take it back bro. i'm sure you've taken your licks in life, hell by 19 I had gone through more crap then most people twice the age...

What I'm getting at is that addictions don't need something that causes a physical or chemical dependence. Caffeine could have been purely mental for him.

GoogleFreak
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
In the four reports of adverse reactions involving "energy drinks," symptoms included:

* Electrolyte disturbances;
* Nausea and vomiting; and
* Heart irregularities.

These four incidents involved improper use of "energy drinks," such as drinking them with alcohol or in greater quantities than recommended.

Because of the nature of the adverse reaction reports, it is not possible to tell if the symptoms reported were due to the effect of combining the "energy drink" with alcohol, or due to alcohol itself.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/energy-energie-eng.php

Amoral
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
lulz

I agree and he cant be certain that his acid reflux is from that, just something to blame I guess.

Who are you to say something like that you have no idea what this person has experienced...at only 19 he may have less life experience as you but it looks as tho he has more common sense than you.

Opies
04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
lol, ok I take it back bro. i'm sure you've taken your licks in life, hell by 19 I had gone through more crap then most people twice the age...

What I'm getting at is that addictions don't need something that causes a physical or chemical dependence. Caffeine could have been purely mental for him.

Yea not saying caffeine can't be addicting in it's own way, but nobody is 'helpless' to caffeine like they are to crack, coke, meth, heroine, etc. It's a bad habit that takes some will power to break, that's all. Like you could be persuaded into taking a hit of crack and have your life ruined and not have any way to get out of it, but acting like caffeine can do the same thing is BS. Get some will power.

Anyway I'm done here, didn't really mean to start trouble, but as I said I've seen what real addiction does, so this caffeine **** is a bit silly to me and bothers me a little. caffeine didn't ruin you, you ruined yourself using caffeine.

Opies
04-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree and he cant be certain that his acid reflux is from that, just something to blame I guess.

Who are you to say something like that you have no idea what this person has experienced...at only 19 he may have less life experience as you but it looks as tho he has more common sense than you.

thanks dude.

Caffeine does increases stomach acid production though, and if you are taking insanely high amounts, you could mess up your **** with it, get ulcers and everything

MarkVI
04-09-2009, 11:33 PM

wha wha wha, I shouldn't have opened my mouth -- happy?

Yea not saying caffeine can't be addicting in it's own way, but nobody is 'helpless' to caffeine like they are to crack, coke, meth, heroine, etc. It's a bad habit that takes some will power to break, that's all. Like you could be persuaded into taking a hit of crack and have your life ruined and not have any way to get out of it, but acting like caffeine can do the same thing is BS. Get some will power.

Anyway I'm done here, didn't really mean to start trouble, but as I said I've seen what real addiction does, so this caffeine **** is a bit silly to me and bothers me a little. caffeine didn't ruin you, you ruined yourself using caffeine.

Agreed 100%

Amoral
04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
thanks dude.

Caffeine does increases stomach acid production though, and if you are taking insanely high amounts, you could mess up your **** with it, get ulcers and everything

Agreed but he could have a family history and its not like it happened all of a sudden.

wha wha wha, I shouldn't have opened my mouth -- happy?

Eh, at least you know when you are wrong its not a very common trait.

MarkVI
04-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Agreed but he could have a family history and its not like it happened all of a sudden.

Eh, at least you know when you are wrong its not a very common trait.

Yes, I was wrong and thus by admitting it, I am right....er...uh, that's my story :cool:

Nice post in the whiny college kids thread lmao.

dontjudgeme
04-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Of course caffeine isn't the same as hard drugs, but addiction is addiction. You can get addicted to anything. Some people get addicted to porn, or shopping or video games. When this happens it can cause a chain reaction that can either simply be a hinderance in life, or tear it down. I can't count the number of marragies I watched breakup in the late 90's because one was a chat room whore and couldn't stop. I had to send home one of my mangers once because he stoped eating, sleeping, and bathing. All he wanted to do was chat. His new young bride left him within a year, and this dude wasn't good looking enough to find two good women in a lifetime.

For me, caffeine was the catalyst to my life getting out of wack for a while. It cause my acid reflux which cased me to get no sleep, which caused me to get overly stressed which made me lose my job, house, and so on. And I'm not crying about it, as it's a part of my life that's in the past and I was simply sharing.(excuse the sh*t out of me) As far as stoping it though, the thing is sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Had a put two and two together at the time.......well if only I had done lots of things different in the past. LOL Know what I mean. :)

Caffeine though is definitly a drug though. It's a stimulant regulated by the goverment. Not all drugs are sold in back alleys. Some are sold on shelves.

Do I care if any one abuses the hell out of caffeine though? Not even for a second. Live you life. What do I care. I only got mad when Opies started getting personal for no reason.