PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Trainer but Newbie on Nutrition

kennyken55
04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi Guys/Gals

First of all, I would like to say that the over 35 section is one of the best sections in this forum and my favourite and it has given me loads of great info.

I am 43 years young and I have been training on and off for more than 20 years and have built up an impressive physique in my opinion, at least my wife says she likes It :) After a couple of years of lackadaisical training once I hit 40 (only once or twice a week), I decided to turn it up a notch again last year in May when I hit 43. In the last 11 months I have got back to serious training and cut out all alcohol and almost all junk foods except for the odd cheat snack/meal, once every few weeks.

Although I have been eating clean for almost 1 year solid, I have never really counted calories, grams of protein, carbs, fats etc. and I am not really 100% sure if I am doing everything correctly. From reading other posts in this forum, I have a gotten a good idea of the grams to carbs to fats ratio that I should be consuming and surprisingly, when I added it all up, I was taking in around what is recommended.

Here is my current diet below; I have narrowed my diet down to these foods and supplements. I feel 100% almost everyday on this diet, I have the right amount of strength in the gym, I am gaining the desired amount of muscle and I am dropping body fat. Whenever I mess with it, I feel that I am either over or under eating, I am tired and I am gaining either too much weight or losing too much depending on my calorie intake.

What I would like is some comments on whether this is a sound bodybuilding diet, I know my body is telling me it is and I would be very reluctant to make any major changes to it. As well as the positive affect it is having on my body, all of the foods on this diet are ones that I enjoy to eat and it provides me with no desire to eat any other unhealthy food.

(Note ? As you can probably see there are no eggs in this diet, this is because I am allergic to eggs, hence the larger intake of Whey Protein)

1st Meal - 2 Packet Quaker Oats Instant Porridge (70g), 2 Scoops Whey Protein Shake
2nd Meal - 1 Large Tuna Salad (Including; lettuce, corn, kidney beans, peas)
3rd Meal - 1 Scoop Whey Protien Shake
4th Meal - Large Chicken Breast or Lean Steak, Small Baked Potato with Cottage Cheese and Broc****
Pre Workout - 1 Scoop 2.5g Creatine in Fruit Juice
Post Workout - 1 Scoop 5g Creatine in Fruit Juice, 1 Scoop Whey Protien Shake, 1 Small Banana
5th Meal - 150 gms of Smoked Salmon with cup of Broc****, Low Fat Yogurt with Strawberries, 50 Raisins
6th Meal - 2 Scoops Whey Protien Shake with 1 Large Table Spoon of Cottage Cheese

This works out to approximately 295 Grams of Protein, 235 Grams of Carbs, 70 Grams of Fats and 2700 Calories per day.

Along with Whey Protein and Creatine, I also take Glutamine, Multi Vitamins, Flaxseed Oil and drink around 1.5 Gallons of water throughout the day.

My stats are:

Height: 5? 8 1/2?, Weight: 195lbs (Desired weight ? No more than 200lbs), so I am happy with my weight and would not want to gain too much more, unless it is more solid muscle :) I am not sure what my Body Fat percentage is, probably between 10% and 12%, could be lower, but definitely not above 12%.

I train 6 days a week, 45 minutes to 1 hour maximum each session. 16 Sets for Big Body Parts and 12 for Small. Abs 3 times a week. Cardio, very rarely as my training sessions are pretty intense and I burn off the desired amount of calories.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if you are of the same structure as me, maybe you may want to try a similar diet. It is amazing that I have spent so much time over the years learning the basics of training, but I am only scratching the surface with regards to diet and nutrition.

Holmstrom
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree on the info, this site has really helped me improve my diet and program in the short time I have been on it.

Nothing to add on the eating plan but others will chime in with good info. Wish I could eat that many carbs!