PDA

View Full Version : Bow Flex ...

JolietKev
04-07-2009, 04:29 AM
works for me and I guess I question all the hate that I see regarding this machine. It is much easier on the joints and I have seen increases in strength since I began using it approx five years ago. I am currently on my secod model. My brother in law gave me the one I currently have since he moved into a smaller place. I began using free weights for military presses, shoulder presses, BO rows, squats and calf raises and since that time (2 months ago)have noticed a lot of joint soreness, esp elbow pain. I never had any problems with the Bow flex in that regard. I have been lifting heavier weights and using pre, ad post supplements since I started working out. I have also increased food consumption. I have found thatI have been feeling worse since doing so. As a result I may go back to the high reps and a lot of cardio that seemed to be working better for me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this. I may be doing something wrong.

jugglingfreak
04-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Hey, if it works for you and your goals, go for it.

A lot of the hate for Bowflex comes from the fact that it is ridiculously overpriced and some rather questionable marketing claims.

But I remember something from a consumer reports type magazine reviewing various piece of exercise equipment that had the best comment. "The best piece of exercise equipment is the one you will actually use."

It really doesn't matter if you have a home gym to rival the best commercial gyms if you never use it..

raz1875
04-07-2009, 05:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with using a Bowflex.

1. I do not like their price.

2. I tried one and it didn't feel natural to me.

LyingSac
04-07-2009, 05:29 AM
it provide resistance hence "it works"...

Nikonguy
04-07-2009, 05:42 AM
JolietKev, I had many of those same symptoms a few years back......right about the time I hit your age. :( Funny thing is I don't notice them now.

aneas
04-07-2009, 06:03 AM
What does your increased food consumption look like?

It may be the heavier weight then the bow flex. I always have aches and pains to be honest with you. It goes with the territory.

BillyBatts
04-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Brilliant insight in its simplicity. LOL

Machines work for a lot of us lifters. Kudos to the lifters who use heavy dumb bells, do dead lifts and heavy squats. However, you don't need to do them to pursue a hobby of weight lifting and body building. Machines, including Bow Flex, work for most of us if you are dedicated and use the correct principles. I primarily choose machines (Life Fitness and Hammer Strength) because I tend to injure myself with free weights. I make gains using these machines.

Bow Flex works. Lying Sac is quite correct in his analysis of why it works: "resistance".

Crush505
04-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I admit it, we own a Bowflex. We mainly got it as an accessory to our other gym equipment. We found that on a lot of exercises it performed very well. Others like the leg press were kind of awkward. However " Lying Sac " said it well, short and sweet, " it provides resistance." Ours has the lat tower and the squat atttacment. We like the feel of the lat pull down but the squats again feel awkward. Bottom line if it's all you've got use it! With enough focus you can get results. As far as twenty minutes, three times a week, eh not so sure about that. The machine is designed pretty good. But originally the only competition Bowflex had to begin with was Soloflex, no there's a piece of work! (crap) Now you have the Total Gym. The cheap model wouldn't hold up very long with our workouts. Also very awkward. There is another thread on another section about Bowflex. I admit it I got in a kick or two but in all seriousness you can get a decent workout on one, especially if that's all you've got! Throw in some slow motion push-ups and add some chins and pull ups, some kind of bench dips, should be able to get a decent workout. Best wishes!

JolietKev
04-07-2009, 07:13 AM
I normally wake up at approx 4 pm, immediately take either NO shotgun or NO xplode, have a cup of coffee while surfing the net for 45 min. I then work out + 1/2 hour on stationary bike. I then have a gaterade and creatine mix along with a prot. drnk. Sometimes I have some eggs or yogurt. Other supps include multi, CO Enz Q, flax seed and fish oil. I was eating a well balanced lunch with another prot shake. After a much needed nap ( I am a stay at home father) I have a small snack of nuts/fruit and then pretty much anythig goes for dinner. Sometimes good sometimes not so good. I have stayed right around 160 since I increased the weight and food, However I just do not feel as good when I was doing lighter and eating less. The powders and presupp may be having some negative effects. I am not sure. What does everyone think.

chodan9
04-07-2009, 07:24 AM
I had a cross bow trainer which is very much like a bow flex.

I used it at one point for about 6 months and made some progress.
My problem is not with the machine but with me, I cant seem top muster the discipline I need at home.
There always seems to be something "better" to do. I do enjoy going to a commercial gym much more, there is only one thing really to do there, work out. So my focus is better there. been hitting the gym for over 3 years now.

JolietKev
04-07-2009, 07:41 AM
I have tried going to the gym, however, I find it much more convienent to work out at home. I am a vet so the Military gave me great disciplie so I have ot problem keeping to my workouts. Plus I do not like hanging out with a bunch of testosterone driven youths who believe that the world revolves around their biceps. I guess we are all different and that is not a bad thing.

Wildtim
04-07-2009, 07:44 AM
One reason you will seee for the bowflex fromm so many home gym users is because for the price you can have one hell of a nice free weight set-up.

Another reason is the almost constant recalls on the various bowflex models that speak to poor quality control or engeniering faults.

Thirdly and this goes for most home gyms, the resistance is limited. At some point you will outgrow the machine.

If bowflex was sold at a price point that refeclected its quality and utility I think a lot of the hate would go away, but hey they gotta pay for all thos commercials somehow.

If you already own one great, get all you can out of it, and enjoy using it.

If you are getting joint pain that you did not get before you might be using to much weight, and most especially incorrect form. The biggest drawback to free weight workouts is the level of skill involved. You need to really learn each lift and pay attention to what you are doing or bad things can happen.

I would expect the elbow pain is a result of the presses and possibley the rows as well. All these lifts have a common mistake a lot of people make. They don't keep their elbows in. When you let you elbows move out away from you you can move more weight, but you stress the joint unnecessarily. Keeping them straight and in front of you throughout the set is harder and allows less weight to be used but doesn't stress the joint as much. THis is what I mean by needing more skill.

JolietKev
04-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the tip TIM.

Wildtim
04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
LOL, the only reason the tip is mine to give is because the pain sounds familiar. Been there made that mistake.

StressMonkey
04-07-2009, 08:24 AM
With enough focus you can get results. As far as twenty minutes, three times a week, eh not so sure about that.
That's the part that makes me roll my eyes. The guys they have in the commercials are ripped. There's no way in hell they got to look like that by working out for a total of one hour a week.

JolietKev
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
You can get a good workout on it, however I am sure that they have a good diet and also do cardio. Just like anything else, they use actors to sell their product.

thomasale
04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
That's the part that makes me roll my eyes. The guys they have in the commercials are ripped. There's no way in hell they got to look like that by working out for a total of one hour a week.

Ditto!

aneas
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM

You mean 20 minutes 3 times a day isnt enough? Dang back to the drawing board.

StressMonkey
04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
You mean 20 minutes 3 times a day isnt enough? Dang back to the drawing board.

Got to do 21 minutes brah.

Capt_Lou
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM

With the Muscletek's ;)

Dw33z1L
04-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't think I would ever buy one simply based on the awful commercials. That a55hat who says he's going to give all of his fat clothes to his fat friends should be taken "out back" and beaten with an angry midget (by all of his fat ex-friends).

tst313
04-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Should also point out that the models used in the commercials did not get that way from using a bowflex. Nor from a 20 minute, 3 times a week work out.

aneas
04-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Nah thats crazy. Only guys who weigh under 160 can get away with that kind of workload. 20 minutes and 30 seconds. I dont want to overtrain.

tst313
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't think I would ever buy one simply based on the awful commercials. That a55hat who says he's going to give all of his fat clothes to his fat friends should be taken "out back" and beaten with an angry midget (by all of his fat ex-friends).

Although that guy is the most annoying thing on TV right now, I had to laugh the first time I heard it. What arrogance! Haha!

BrotherWolf
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
What does your increased food consumption look like?

It may be the heavier weight then the bow flex. I always have aches and pains to be honest with you. It goes with the territory.

x2....indeed

BrotherWolf
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't know much about the bowflex except what you see in the infomercial and that it cost too much.. I mean resistance is resistance
be it rubber or steel..
What I am wondering is do we need a thread on bowflex??

can I start a thread on barbell??

"Barbells.. I don't know what's all the hate... It works for me, in the 7-8 months I have being using it I gained 20lbs, all my lifts increased and I feel better ..

Yes all my gym going friends and the expert warned me about squatting too low and lifting too heavy would hurt me and leave me on a wheel chair, yet I am still standing and a tad bit stronger than 8 months ago

I paid roughly $200 for all the equipment, some new some from craigslist"
:)

pilate balls and 3lb dumbell works too, it all depends on your goals and expectation..

bodyhard
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
If it works for you then use it. When I stood in my brothers house in VA that he had one in his basement I used it and it sucked, for me it didn't feel natural at all.

V-Robb
04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi, I'm Robert and I am a former Bowflex user. I had it for almost 10 years -got the lat tower and leg extension add-ons. It was useful at first, but then became a horizontal storage surface and got buried under lots of stuff as workout equipment is apt to do at home.
So years later I'm finally getting sick and tired of being out of optimal shape and started to workout in earnest again starting last Thanksgiving. After a couple months of going full-bore I maxed out the "weight" setting so it was time to move on. Having found this website and all the info from the staff and members I decided to go back to freeweight training.
I now have a nice power rack with upper and lower pulleys, a superbench (too bitchin' that!) and have made some decent progress.
But it all started out with the 'flex. It's sitting in my next door neighbors garage now - I'm letting him use it gratis for now. Perhaps I can make another convert?

DeathtoToasters
04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Plus I do not like hanging out with a bunch of testosterone driven youths who believe that the world revolves around their biceps. I guess we are all different and that is not a bad thing.

Well if this is what you are getting at your local gym...find another one. Of course if you are offended by a few bad apples....then how did you get by in the military?

Just asking....

JolietKev
04-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Since you asked, when I joined the Army, I had just turned 18 so I was one of those young guys that thought they were tough. There were many of us in our basic training platoon. That lasted for about two minutes. Our platoon was the first to arrive on the "hill" so we had all of the Drill Seargents converge on our formation. Needless to say back, in 89 (before stress free training), there was a lot of yelling, spitting, pushing, running, and yes crying (not me) for about two hours. Any inclination of being tough was ended at that tiime for myself and the rest of the platoon. I the served in Desert Storm as a combat medic (1st Infantry Dvsn). It is amazing how people re evaluate their mortality when told that 75% of your combat force would be dead in the first few hours of the ground war. Fortunately we changed course and did not go that route.

Zingaritano
04-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for your service to this country.

If you are not used to resistance training, any type will do. You may want to augment the Bowflex with some dumbells after awhile.

With that said, I do believe you will reach a plateau with the Bowflex, as it does not allow you enough variety to hit muscles from a different angle/plain once you get to a certain level.

Also, the variety of equipment in a typical gym will help break up the monotony by allowing you to change your excercises regularly.

Even though I have jumped around a lot in this post, I would stick with the Bowflex until the joint pain goes away, then try free weights again.

JolietKev
04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Zingaritino, thanks for the advice ad I probably will stick to the bow flex for a little while. I do not want to give up free weights entirely, however I was merely mentioning some good points about the Bow Flex and other machies like it. I also had a Total Gym for a few years, however I had to duct tape weight to it to get any kind of a workout. Have a great day!

rubenramos2
04-11-2009, 06:39 AM

I hate that guy!!!!

Should also point out that the models used in the commercials did not get that way from using a bowflex. Nor from a 20 minute, 3 times a week work out.

I can honestly say that 95% of my resistance training has been on the Bowflex Ultimate. I have had good results, no, excellent results. I am in a transformation contest and have not set foot in a gym the entire time. I started Jan 15 and have been at it for 12 weeks.

chodan9
04-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I hate that guy!!!!

I can honestly say that 95% of my resistance training has been on the Bowflex Ultimate. I have had good results, no, excellent results. I am in a transformation contest and have not set foot in a gym the entire time. I started Jan 15 and have been at it for 12 weeks.

how often do you use it?

rubenramos2
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
how often do you use it?

I use it on average about 5 hrs per week.

yitmy
04-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I also have a bowflex and a pair of power blocks. I have the max resistance for the Bow and I feel I need much more for my power blocks. I do get a great home work-out.

I did go to the gym this weekend(free pass). The one I used to go to 3-4x week for about 1 hour each day for approximately 5-7 years. It cost about $600 a year. The people I ran into were nice but I found my home gym being better mostly because of my routine ease(and much cheaper BowFlex $1600, power blocks $300). Weighing the cost of freeweights which I do have a set in the basement($150)-have not used for 20+ years, my current system or the gym(total $2K) or a gym membership($600/yr) I do not see why the BowFlex has such a bad rep.

I can do just about all the exercises at home with complete safety. Squats well I really have not found safe yet either in the gym or at home.

The one good thing I did found was that the gym had a stationary bike that had a computer program that made it seem like you were racing in a park, up mountainous hills, or chasing dragons. It was cool and a great aerobic work out ta boot!!!

Wildtim
04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Want me to show you what kind of freeweight set-up you could have gotten for $2000? I can guarantee that it would allow more exercises and have more resistance available than your bowflex. I for instance have less than your annual gym spent on my home gym and I can do anything a bowflex can plus a whole lot more with up to 600 pounds of resistance, and for pennies a pound I can add more resistance any time I need to. This is half the reason bowflex gets little love.

chodan9
04-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I use it on average about 5 hrs per week.

I didn't think you used it only 3 20 minute sessions per week.
you look great!

of course the commercial actually says "you can get result in as little as 3 20 minute workouts per week" It doesnt say what kind of results.
its like everything you get out of it what you put in it.
60 minutes a week eh probably not so much, but your living proof that people can get great results with the machine.
great work!

StressMonkey
04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
you look great!

of course the commercial actually says "you can get result in as little as 3 20 minute workouts per week" It doesnt say what kind of results.
60 minutes a week eh probably not so much, but your living proof that people can get great results with the machine.
great work!

Exactly what he said. The "20 minutes 3 times a week" claim from the commercials is a joke. You've put in the time and it shows. Good job.

JolietKev
04-13-2009, 02:44 AM
It is just marketing. Look at any BB magazine these days and they are full of adds sayig take this and you will get as huge as this guy. No difference. They forget to tell you that the guy is also on steroids.

MT_Pawkits
04-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Want me to show you what kind of freeweight set-up you could have gotten for $2000? I can guarantee that it would allow more exercises and have more resistance available than your bowflex. I for instance have less than your annual gym spent on my home gym and I can do anything a bowflex can plus a whole lot more with up to 600 pounds of resistance, and for pennies a pound I can add more resistance any time I need to. This is half the reason bowflex gets little love.

YUP!

$2000 is an expensive clothes rack IMO

JolietKev
04-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Yes it would be an expensive clothes hanger. If you used it as such. I guess you are missing the simple point that for thise of us that "use" it, do get good fitness and strength results from it. I have been usig it nearly every day for the past nine years and love mine.

rubenramos2
04-13-2009, 06:11 AM
you look great!

great work!

That's just it, it doesn't say what kind of results. The best thing I like about it, is that my wife can use it with ease.

Exactly what he said. The "20 minutes 3 times a week" claim from the commercials is a joke. You've put in the time and it shows. Good job.

Thanks guys, You get out of it what you put into it. I am not going to knock any piece of equipment. If you're getting results using rocks, Hey, more power to you!

jellodirt
04-13-2009, 06:26 AM
There's nothing wrong with using a bowflex if it meets your needs. IMO you were sore from using free weights because machines will not work your stabalizer muscles, poor form, or you were using more weight than you could safely handle.

yitmy
04-13-2009, 09:04 AM

Well I am certain you(or I) could get something with more resistance but I work out alone and safety is a big issue and the floors may not be able to take high # loads. Especially since I work out on the third floor, that will be one big shlep moving equipment around. I enjoy my solitude and it(BowFlex) is very quiet, except for my grunting that is.

20 mins 3x a day, thats marketing hype. But there is other equipment out there that make similar claims. Buyer beware, check before you purchase and be a life long user of whatever you use!

BrotherWolf
04-13-2009, 09:10 AM

Not to mention that a bowflex is a cold piece of equipment.. comparing a bowflex to a nice barbel set is like comparing taco bell to authentic mexican food.. they both sustain you but only one is the real thing and much much tastier

Wildtim
04-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Not to mention that a bowflex is a cold piece of equipment.. comparing a bowflex to a nice barbel set is like comparing taco bell to authentic mexican food.. they both sustain you but only one is the real thing and much much tastier

Now as a Taco Bell fan I don't know about that comparison:). We have one Mexican restaurant here in town that is authentic.....right down to the flies all over the place, it reminds my of Nuevo Laredo and not the touristy parts ;).

BrotherWolf
04-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Now as a Taco Bell fan I don't know about that comparison:). We have one Mexican restaurant here in town that is authentic.....right down to the flies all over the place, it reminds my of Nuevo Laredo and not the touristy parts ;).

Feel free to substitute your favorite fast food for fine restaurant... :)
there is never authentic food in the touristy parts of town
and some people prefer fast food to real food same as some people prefer a
bowflex than a barbell set

EDIT:
mhh.. I just realized you're in Michigan I think taco bell is as authentic as any other mexican restaurant up there ;)

rubenramos2
04-13-2009, 11:55 AM

You're comparing apples and oranges. The Bowflex is a self contained piece of equipment like the Crossbow or other equipment like that. I like to hear the sound of Iron, but sometimes it just isn't practical for a home gym. Not everyone has the space for them. I have my Bowflex in an upstairs bedroom. Anyway, as long as it gets you where you want to be, who cares what you use.

BrotherWolf
04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
You're comparing apples and oranges. The Bowflex is a self contained piece of equipment like the Crossbow or other equipment like that. I like to hear the sound of Iron, but sometimes it just isn't practical for a home gym. Not everyone has the space for them. I have my Bowflex in an upstairs bedroom. Anyway, as long as it gets you where you want to be, who cares what you use.

Hey don't tell me about small spaces I have my rack and BB in a closet ...
a large one but still a closet ;)
still I don't care what people use , I was joking around

ZBlacktt
04-13-2009, 01:45 PM

I'd like to see a picture of your set up that cover's every thing a blowflex can do in the same amount of space one could do it in. Since you asked. What about ease of set up for each exercise too. Safety, spotters? Back work out from all the switching of weights? Ever done a home move and had 600+ lbs of free weights to pack up and move? I have and I said never again, lol. So I just stick with the gym.

I don't use the blowflex myself. My wife went to high school with the guy that started that company. It's just down the street from me here still to this day. I've used one sure. But, I just prefer free over machines for personal choice. Yet, for convenience, space and on the go. We can see just how simple it would be to jump on one and get the heart and blood going.

rubenramos2
04-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey don't tell me about small spaces I have my rack and BB in a closet ...
a large one but still a closet ;)
still I don't care what people use , I was joking around

My bad! So you got good Mexican food in NY?

BrotherWolf
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
My bad! So you got good Mexican food in NY?

Yeah there's some great mexican restaurants in NYC ..which reminds me I haven't been in any of them in quite a while, time for a visit...

But I researched Michigan and found probably the best Mexican place in the whole state..
La Fiesta Mexicana Ypsilanti, MI

kahboom
04-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I guess its time to admit having been sucked in by the Bowflex commercials. I was up late one night and saw this Bowflex commercial and was wanting to get back in to some real shape. I applied for credit online and ordered a Extreme SE2 model for about $1800 (yup ,I can hear the gasps!) I was 6'4 280lbs. and played college basketball and had lifted seriously about ten years earlier,. Anyway, I get the machine and I am ampted. I quickly learned that if you are a big guy with average strength you are going to quickly be able reach max on the bench, even with the 400 pound resistance. This is not to say I could do this on every exercise, far from it. The best exercise I felt was in the lex extensions. Also, the machine is very good for cable exercises that you would do in the gym. If you are under 170lbs. and not freakishly strong like some guys on this site, I believe the Bowflex is a convenient, versitile piece of equipment for a new weightlifter. I must say that there is NOTHING like the feel of free weights. I didn't realize how much I missed the feel of free weights until about 3-4 months after buying my Bowflex. After coming the BB.com and reading all the posts, I knew I had to make a change. I got my buddy who is recovering from back surgery to buy it for $1100 taking a $700 hit. I purchased a Powerline rack (i like it and have had no issues but wish i got the Powertec), curl bar and 600 pounds of free weights and now very happy and looking for more equipment. I have taken over my garage and happy as a beaver. I am down to 258lbs. and can see results that I NEVER would have or did see using a Bowflex. I could have purchased a complete very good free-weight setup for what I paid for the Bowflex (space permitting). So I don't bash the Bowflex but it is WAY OVERPRICED, not nearly as effective as free-weights, but acknowlege that one can get a "workout" and tone using it.

rubenramos2
04-15-2009, 06:49 AM
I guess its time to admit having been sucked in by the Bowflex commercials. I was up late one night and saw this Bowflex commercial and was wanting to get back in to some real shape. I applied for credit online and ordered a Extreme SE2 model for about $1800 (yup ,I can hear the gasps!) I was 6'4 280lbs. and played college basketball and had lifted seriously about ten years earlier,. Anyway, I get the machine and I am ampted. I quickly learned that if you are a big guy with average strength you are going to quickly be able reach max on the bench, even with the 400 pound resistance. This is not to say I could do this on every exercise, far from it. The best exercise I felt was in the lex extensions. Also, the machine is very good for cable exercises that you would do in the gym. If you are under 170lbs. and not freakishly strong like some guys on this site, I believe the Bowflex is a convenient, versitile piece of equipment for a new weightlifter. I must say that there is NOTHING like the feel of free weights. I didn't realize how much I missed the feel of free weights until about 3-4 months after buying my Bowflex. After coming the BB.com and reading all the posts, I knew I had to make a change. I got my buddy who is recovering from back surgery to buy it for $1100 taking a $700 hit. I purchased a Powerline rack (i like it and have had no issues but wish i got the Powertec), curl bar and 600 pounds of free weights and now very happy and looking for more equipment. I have taken over my garage and happy as a beaver. I am down to 258lbs. and can see results that I NEVER would have or did see using a Bowflex. I could have purchased a complete very good free-weight setup for what I paid for the Bowflex (space permitting). So I don't bash the Bowflex but it is WAY OVERPRICED, not nearly as effective as free-weights, but acknowlege that one can get a "workout" and tone using it.

I agree with you that someone could max out on the Bowflex fairly quickly. You just have to adjust to get what you can out of it. If I do traditional squats, I need more weight. One way I overcome it is by training smarter. For instance, when I do squats, I either slow down or do single leg squats. On bench press, about all you could do is slow down and get a good stretch. Every other movement, I would be surprised if you did not have enough resistance. As far as being overpriced, that is a different subject. You're getting into economics and personal preference. Something, anything is worth what someone will pay for it. But yeah, there is nothing like the sound of clanking iron.

rubenramos2
05-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Here are my starting and ending pics for the MuscleTech Transformation Contest. I did it using only the Bowflex Ultimate for strength training. Total time of 14 weeks.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/05/03/278694/profilepic/1weECoHyFgM5I5xpjj4MdTcDI1cD052.jpeghttp://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/05/04/278694/profilepic/1m1FIYLLXziuVX8SMqCDMqs12Wmwa033.jpeg

StressMonkey
05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I agree with you that someone could max out on the Bowflex fairly quickly. You just have to adjust to get what you can out of it. If I do traditional squats, I need more weight. One way I overcome it is by training smarter. For instance, when I do squats, I either slow down or do single leg squats. On bench press, about all you could do is slow down and get a good stretch. Every other movement, I would be surprised if you did not have enough resistance. As far as being overpriced, that is a different subject. You're getting into economics and personal preference. Something, anything is worth what someone will pay for it. But yeah, there is nothing like the sound of clanking iron.

You did a really great job with it. Good work!

IronCharles
05-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Great job, Ruben!

I've recently dusted off the Weider Cross-Bow, and started adding some progressive resistance training to my workout mix. Trying to always hit my body with something new, to keep the muscles guessing and to add freshness to my routine. These machines are great for that!

Keep up the good work!

rubenramos2
05-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys. Iron I didn't get a chance to tell you and your wife what a good job you both did tell her for me. I am going to start seeing about packing on some lean muscle. I have heard that you should not expect to add more than 1 lb per year. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

Keltron
05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't like it because it's been 3 months and my wife still has yet to give me "that little wink"

dkemano42
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Hey,

I agree here. Any resistance training is beter than none, and like they all said if it works for you go for it. I would actually like to try one for a couple weeks just to experience what its like..a friend of mine is getting one given to him soon, so I may get my chance.

DK

BigSlick-------
05-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I used a Bowflex quite a bit last summer while recovering from a shoulder injury. I liked it because it was much easier on my shoulder. Now I'm back to free weights, but I wouldn't mind having one at the house. I would use it from time to time, but not exclusively.

JolietKev
05-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Great job. I use my bow flex every day and love it. The rowing option is really great. I also throw in some free weights for squats (light weight/high reps) calf work, shoulder presses, rows and shrugs. I also use kettle bells. With the use of the stationary bike, I have everything I need at home. I dont think I will ever go to a gym.

daltrey
05-12-2009, 05:48 AM
works for me and I guess I question all the hate that I see regarding this machine. It is much easier on the joints and I have seen increases in strength since I began using it approx five years ago. I am currently on my secod model. My brother in law gave me the one I currently have since he moved into a smaller place. I began using free weights for military presses, shoulder presses, BO rows, squats and calf raises and since that time (2 months ago)have noticed a lot of joint soreness, esp elbow pain. I never had any problems with the Bow flex in that regard. I have been lifting heavier weights and using pre, ad post supplements since I started working out. I have also increased food consumption. I have found thatI have been feeling worse since doing so. As a result I may go back to the high reps and a lot of cardio that seemed to be working better for me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this. I may be doing something wrong.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I'm not reading all 3 pages. Have you tried taking fish oil? They really help get rid of the joint soreness.

As far as bowflex. Why not just take up archery? Same thing. I really hope you don't think any of those bowflex models got their body from using a bowflex. Repeat after me Rack, Bench, Weights, Rack, Bench, Weights, Rack, Bench, Weights

rubenramos2
05-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Great job. I use my bow flex every day and love it. The rowing option is really great. I also throw in some free weights for squats (light weight/high reps) calf work, shoulder presses, rows and shrugs. I also use kettle bells. With the use of the stationary bike, I have everything I need at home. I dont think I will ever go to a gym.

Do you ever use the Bowflex for squats or do you have that option?

rubenramos2
05-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned but I'm not reading all 3 pages. Have you tried taking fish oil? They really help get rid of the joint soreness.

As far as bowflex. Why not just take up archery? Same thing. I really hope you don't think any of those bowflex models got their body from using a bowflex. Repeat after me Rack, Bench, Weights, Rack, Bench, Weights, Rack, Bench, Weights

Archery? I have never gotten these results shooting arrows. It's ok to be skeptical, I used to be too. Go back at least one page and look at my before and after pics.

JolietKev
05-12-2009, 09:02 AM

I have stopped usig the dumbells and bar curling and believe that I am feeling much better. I take fish oil and flax seed meal every day. I am probably built better than the models that are on TV, not as cut or finished because I am ot a model, but I am def bigger than. I am currently 5'4 at 165 and am not fat so that would suggest that I am fairly big for my size.Like anything else, if you do not use what you have , you will not see reuslts. Have you seen the models pushing the weider kettlebells? I am sure that most people are smart eough to know that companies hire good looking people to peddle their wares. Dumb argument and an old one. At our age ad up, For those of us that want to look good, feel good, you do not need to loook much farther than making the Bow flex your primary piece of exercise equipment. I am not adverse to using other tools, as I previously mentioned. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "macho men" on these boards that have no idea. I appreciate your comment but I will stick with the Bow flex because it is much easier ad better on the joints. Plus I have years of using with results.

JolietKev
05-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Do you ever use the Bowflex for squats or do you have that option?

I have that option but I choose to use an olympic size bar w/ approx 100 ibs and high reps. Actually the place that I keep my bow flex in, in the basement is not big enough to support all of the attachments. The squat attachement yes, however I do not use it. I hope you and I ca stick together agaist this legion of bow flex haters:) Your results are great.

rubenramos2
05-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I have that option but I choose to use an olympic size bar w/ approx 100 ibs and high reps. Actually the place that I keep my bow flex in, in the basement is not big enough to support all of the attachments. The squat attachement yes, however I do not use it. I hope you and I ca stick together agaist this legion of bow flex haters:) Your results are great.

I will stand and defend Bowflex. I do not understand all the hate against a piece of equipment. Resistance is resistance. If you don't want one, don't get one. I will put my pics up against anyones and compare results for the same amount of time, 14 weeks.

blastertech70
05-16-2009, 05:10 PM
The last week I have been using a bowflex. It is different, gives a little diffent feel and is "light" for a few of the bigger muscle exercises.

I thought at first when I seen all the attachments and the arm adjustments that it would be a huge pain in the ass. But really no diff than a gym loading bars and putting the plates away when finished and between exercises.

Personaly.. At my own place I have 1000 lbs of Olympic weights and 4 bars and an EZ-bar. A incline bench, decline bench, flat bench, power rack. lat pulldown, preacher bench and upright row machine. All equipment that I fabricated fom 2x2 tubing and had the benchs upolstered. My total cost in material/harware and free weights and bars was about $1200-1500 total

The biggest difference I see is " SPACE" my Olympic weights/machines litrually takes up "half" of my 30'x30' garage in order to mak it comfortable and excessable.

As a "home gym" I think the bowflex deff has a place regaurdless of the cost it is space efficient and seems to be well built and engineered.

It would be stupid to by a "mecedes" if you couldn't afford a garage to put it in. LOL

chodan9
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
As far as bowflex. Why not just take up archery? Same thing.

I'm not following you on that one.
how is using a resistance machine like archery?
Archery has one movement, a machine like bowflex has several dozen exercises that you can do on it.

daltrey
05-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm not following you on that one.
how is using a resistance machine like archery?
Archery has one movement, a machine like bowflex has several dozen exercises that you can do on it.

I was being sarcastic. I've never used a bowflex so I'll stay outta the discussion. As long as it gives you that bowflex body you always wanted then great. :) I can see it being an option for those limited on space. Fortunately for me I have a 400 sq ft gym. Unfortunately for alot of people that's not an option.

chodan9
05-17-2009, 05:50 AM
I was being sarcastic. I've never used a bowflex so I'll stay outta the discussion. As long as it gives you that bowflex body you always wanted then great. :) I can see it being an option for those limited on space. Fortunately for me I have a 400 sq ft gym. Unfortunately for alot of people that's not an option.

oh heh heh
I had a machine very similar to the bowflex a few years ago, called the crossbow.
Was the same except it cost about 1/3 of what the bowflex coast.
My problem was I didn't use it very much after a few months.
I can be more consistent with a gym membership. I was always getting a few minutes in and having to do something around the house that interrupted my workout, or I would get home tired and just not do it.
Getting up in the morning and hitting the gym keeps me more consistent.

I would up selling it for 100 bucks to a friend who now has it in storage LOL

daltrey
05-17-2009, 07:22 AM
^^ It seems like everytime I get on craigslist looking for a deal I come across someone selling one of those crossbows. They must have had some good advertising back in the day, lol.

tammy_girl
05-17-2009, 07:41 AM
^^ It seems like everytime I get on craigslist looking for a deal I come across someone selling one of those crossbows. They must have had some good advertising back in the day, lol.

Had our bowflex ultimate2 for about 6 months with no complaints. I am not a bodybuilder, but trying to get back to fitness levels of the past. I am seeing great results. That is obviously helped by changing my diet. I actually use a mens fitness book of my hubbies for diet and exercise routines. The fitness routine changes every two weeks. I have to suppliment the bowflex with dumbbells because I cant change the machine fast enough now that I am required to do giant sets with no rest.

I can understand the complaints of price. Ours was 2400, but if you tell them you cant afford it, by the time you give in and buy, it will be down to around 1500. You just have to use the "poor me" lines when buying. Their prices are not set in stone by any means. 1500 still high? Probably. But four of us use it, and that is by far cheaper than a gym membership for the whole family, over time.

I have no doubts my results are contributed to the bowflex and the only setbacks I have is with my diet. Still struggle from time to time. But again, I can understand how it wouldnt be for everyone, as squatting with a bar and plates is not for me......yet.

For several months I just used the bowflex. No pains other than just muscle soreness. I knew it was working. Started using dumbbells/bowflex about half and half to keep in pace with giant sets/no rest in between. Now my left knee hurts, but not to a point of not being able to exercise. Is it the dumbbells, change of routine, or just part of it? I dont know, but its not to a point where it slows me down, other than playing sports, where it is hard to plant and cut on left side.

I just wanted to put my two cents in, as I can see the arguement from both sides. No one is right, no one is wrong. The bowflex is good for some, not for others. Why is that a problem? Its not for me.

new2lifting
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM

listen to these guys

rack, bench, weights, adjustable dumbells

if you think those bowflex models actually use the bowflex, then you are seriously being misled. Those models are experienced freeweight lifters.

I have about 2 grand in my setup, bought new, and you could get it alot cheaper used on craigslist. As for space restrictions, I have this in the corner of my living room in my one bedroom apartment.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/medium/DSC04040.JPG

blastertech70
05-17-2009, 11:06 AM
listen to these guys

if you think those bowflex models actually use the bowflex, then you are seriously being misled. Those models are experienced freeweight lifters.

Have some proof to back that statement or just your educated assumption ?

new2lifting
05-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Have some proof to back that statement or just your educated assumption ?

read this
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113098691

I'm done with this thread
we can try to help, but the Bowflex force is too great for some due to the agressive advertisting and good looking models.

blastertech70
05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
read this
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113098691

I'm done with this thread
we can try to help, but the Bowflex force is too great for some due to the agressive advertisting and good looking models.

Thats what I thought, another bowflex thread but no "hard" eveidence what the models on the commercials train with. Just saying that was a blanket statement with no real facts.

I personaly prefer free weights/machines but I have a dear friend who served in Iraq for 4 yrs and spent every off moment training on a bowflex the Military provided at his base camp. He lookes as good or better than any of the models I have seen on the bowflex commercials. He enlisted at 155 lbs and came out 210 with 19" arms and six pack abs.

chodan9
05-17-2009, 12:52 PM

they did
IMO they were superior to the bow flex for a fraction of the cost.

StressMonkey
05-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Thats what I thought, another bowflex thread but no "hard" eveidence what the models on the commercials train with. Just saying that was a blanket statement with no real facts.

This dude is in some of the Bowflex ads.

00X-A2qzsdM

JolietKev
05-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Had our bowflex ultimate2 for about 6 months with no complaints. I am not a bodybuilder, but trying to get back to fitness levels of the past. I am seeing great results. That is obviously helped by changing my diet. I actually use a mens fitness book of my hubbies for diet and exercise routines. The fitness routine changes every two weeks. I have to suppliment the bowflex with dumbbells because I cant change the machine fast enough now that I am required to do giant sets with no rest.

I can understand the complaints of price. Ours was 2400, but if you tell them you cant afford it, by the time you give in and buy, it will be down to around 1500. You just have to use the "poor me" lines when buying. Their prices are not set in stone by any means. 1500 still high? Probably. But four of us use it, and that is by far cheaper than a gym membership for the whole family, over time.

I have no doubts my results are contributed to the bowflex and the only setbacks I have is with my diet. Still struggle from time to time. But again, I can understand how it wouldnt be for everyone, as squatting with a bar and plates is not for me......yet.

For several months I just used the bowflex. No pains other than just muscle soreness. I knew it was working. Started using dumbbells/bowflex about half and half to keep in pace with giant sets/no rest in between. Now my left knee hurts, but not to a point of not being able to exercise. Is it the dumbbells, change of routine, or just part of it? I dont know, but its not to a point where it slows me down, other than playing sports, where it is hard to plant and cut on left side.

I just wanted to put my two cents in, as I can see the arguement from both sides. No one is right, no one is wrong. The bowflex is good for some, not for others. Why is that a problem? Its not for me.

I started having joint pai when I started using free weights as well. I NEVER had any problems when just using the bow flex alone. There are some that do not believe that they would be a ma if they were not using metal. For those of us that want overall fitness and also want to look good, the bowflex is all you really need. Of course adding cardio is a good idea as well. The posters that always point out the bowflex models have no problem buying supplements from steroid pitch men.

rubenramos2
05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
listen to these guys

I have about 2 grand in my setup, bought new, and you could get it alot cheaper used on craigslist. As for space restrictions, I have this in the corner of my living room in my one bedroom apartment.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/medium/DSC04040.JPG

You're single aren't you? Just wondering. If free weight is what you choose than so be it. But you argue over which one is better, what's the point? How do you do leg presses, hamstring curls or leg extensions. What about cable press downs, calf presses or seated rows. It seems to me like you don't have enough equipment for all these excercises. Cable crossovers, pulldowns...? Just wondering.

rubenramos2
05-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Today, May 21, 2009 is the first official day of mass building. People seem to think that it is not possible to gain mass using the Bowflex. I say it is possible but never have done it. Time will tell. Today I did chest and tri's, heavy weight, low reps and 40 mins of cardio. I have not done much of anything since May 1, 2007. Weight=155 lbs, BF%=9

Starting Pic.
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/05/21/278694/profilepic/13NyenwbfK0NAKfml5NXQ4Imhr8W6R1963.jpeg

new2lifting
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
You're single aren't you? Just wondering. If free weight is what you choose than so be it. But you argue over which one is better, what's the point? How do you do leg presses, hamstring curls or leg extensions. What about cable press downs, calf presses or seated rows. It seems to me like you don't have enough equipment for all these excercises. Cable crossovers, pulldowns...? Just wondering.

it seems to me you have no clue how to use free weights and are ignorant of the basic concepts of lifting

rubenramos2
05-21-2009, 07:01 PM
it seems to me you have no clue how to use free weights and are ignorant of the basic concepts of lifting

Now what could have possibly drawn you to that conclusion? Well why don't you enlighten me? I noticed you didn't answer any of my questions.

blastertech70
05-21-2009, 07:41 PM

I know that if all I had was a EZ-bar, a rack and a couble of dbells, after working on the Bowflex for a couple weeks. I would choose the Bowflex in a Newyork min.

But the Bowflex is temp for me and this week I'm back to free weights/machines.

rubenramos2
05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I know that if all I had was a EZ-bar, a rack and a couble of dbells, after working on the Bowflex for a couple weeks. I would choose the Bowflex in a Newyork min.

But the Bowflex is temp for me and this week I'm back to free weights/machines.

Did you have any success using the bowflex? What is your opinion, do you think it's possible to gain mass using just the Bow?

blastertech70
05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Did you have any success using the bowflex? What is your opinion, do you think it's possible to gain mass using just the Bow?

I only used it for a couple weeks, but it hit areas/angles that I typicaly didn't hit with free weights. To be honest I got the same burn and with less soreness. I noticed then when you got to the end of the movement it was good to "hold" before relaesing and it made a diff for me.

I thought all the "attachments" would be a pain in the ass, but it wasn't that bad no diff then racking free weights I got my work-outs in the same ammount of time basically.

The only problem that I really seen was the standard pak is a little to lite for me when it came to the bigger muscle groups legs, squats, back.

I think if I was short on space, and wanted to workout exclusivley and home and be as self contained as I could I would choose it over some of the other home machine centers.

Like I stated early I have a friend back from Iraq, that used it exclusivley and his stacked at 210 plus lbs and 18" Arms. Didn't seem to be a problem putting on the mass for him, he went in at 155 and came back an animal.

rubenramos2
05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I only used it for a couple weeks, but it hit areas/angles that I typicaly didn't hit with free weights. To be honest I got the same burn and with less soreness. I noticed then when you got to the end of the movement it was good to "hold" before relaesing and it made a diff for me.

I thought all the "attachments" would be a pain in the ass, but it wasn't that bad no diff then racking free weights I got my work-outs in the same ammount of time basically.

The only problem that I really seen was the standard pak is a little to lite for me when it came to the bigger muscle groups legs, squats, back.

I think if I was short on space, and wanted to workout exclusivley and home and be as self contained as I could I would choose it over some of the other home machine centers.

Like I stated early I have a friend back from Iraq, that used it exclusivley and his stacked at 210 plus lbs and 18" Arms. Didn't seem to be a problem putting on the mass for him, he went in at 155 and came back an animal.
It is a different kind of workout. You can change angles by just raising or lowering your arms. I have 410 lbs of resistance, I realize that is not "real weight", and max out doing certain excersises. I do single leg or I slow down to get the burn.

rubenramos2
05-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Weight-156.8 it sure has been quiet in here lately. I wonder if I got my point across?

bradedwards
05-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't have a Bowflex, but I have my alternatives...

I workout at home. I know myself... and I know that if I had to go to a gym to workout that I would talk myself out of it more than I should! Others here say they can't motivate themselves to workout at home because of distractions, well, I can't motivate myself to LEAVE the house! Different personality types, I guess. My reasons for not going to the gym usually have to do with other people. If I go out, I like to look my best. I don't like having to worry about good looking girls and whether or not I look good! I don't like the pressure to "keep up" with all of the big studs working out around me. I don't like having to color coordinate my clothes or make sure my hair looks good! LOL! I know, I sound like I'm more than a little self conscious! On some days I wouldn't care, but I KNOW that there are plenty of days that I would care.

When I started watching my diet and working out a couple of years ago, one thing I think I did right, was this: I didn't reach too far beyond my comfort level. I didn't commit myself to overly restrictive diets and I didn't commit myself to working out at a gym for 2 hours at a time, 5 days a week!

I made small adjustments to my lifestyle (diet and exercise). What I've found is that one small adjustment will eventually lead to another... and another... and so on. Just do enough in the beginning so that you will see results that will inspire you to make even more adjustments. It's a snowball. I have tried it the other way, several times in my life, and always failed. I really doubted I could stick to ANYTHING! It's enough to make you give up... so, don't set yourself up to fail by setting goals and regimens that are too unrealistic and too daunting.

Regarding Bowflex and their claim regarding 20 minute workouts... I will say that I don't find it completely unfounded to promote such a thing. TRUE: 20 minutes, 3 or 4 days a week will not make you look like the model promoting the machine, BUT you WILL likely see improvements to your physique if you give yourself enough time. And, like I said, one adjustment leads to another. I'd rather tell a guy: "Hey, just commit to 20 minutes per workout." Because, chances are, if he achieves that goal for a while, he will CHOOSE to ratchet it up to 30 minutes, etc. on his own -- as time goes by. They key for most people is getting started and sticking with it. Once that is done, everything else falls into place. YOU WILL START LOOKING AND FEELING BETTER! ... A couple years ago, January 2007, I started doing nothing more than push-ups and set-ups every day. After six months I had a flat stomach with definition, as well as more definition in my arms and chest. Granted, I didn't (and don't) look like a bodybuilder, but I definitely increased my sex appeal! :)

Regarding the equipment itself, this is what I've graduated to -- and I'd recommend the following:

1) For cardio, you don't need an expensive treadmill. I do the following: jump rope (which is killer and only takes a few minutes to exhaust you, if you haven't done it since childhood); jumping WITHOUT a jump rope (just jump till you can't jump no more!); jumping jacks; jogging; etc. (you get the picture!)

2) Bayou Fitness has a great, well built machine (much better than the Chuck Norris version) that I believe is on par with Bowflex... I own this and love it!. Do a search for: Bayou Total Trainer 4000 XL Home Gym

3) A few sets of dumbbells and a simple bench (preferably one with incline and decline adjustments). I got a really nice bench at Costco for $100. I bought my dumbbells at a second-hand sporting goods store for 80 cents per pound.

4) Get a book of dumbbell exercises, like the one published by Men's Health.

5) Get a $30 pull-up bar, like the ones you see advertised on TV.

If you don't have the money for all of that, just get the pull up bar and do push-ups, crunches and jog/jump. You will be fine!

rubenramos2
05-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Hey man cograts on finding what works for YOU! You said it all Bro. Keep on flexin'.

rubenramos2
05-31-2009, 07:21 AM
I have started a "Bowflex Users" thread for those interested in sharing ideas. Here is the address: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336237031#post336237031