PDA

View Full Version : shoulder pain

ewolr
04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Week 9 of my training. I have been dealing with shoulder pain in my right shoulder for several weeks. I am a lefty btw. It is getting to the point where it is limiting me in the gym. I talked to the trainer about it and she gave me some rotator cuff exercises. I tried them out today on the cable machine. The movement that got me was pulling from inside out away from my body.

So, what to do? Just stay away from those exercises that hurt it for a while? Problem is, its bench, and that is the one I really need. I found that if I keep the arms from going below parallel to the ground, it minimizes the pain. I have long arms so that probably is how I injured it.

Seems to be nothing major as it is not killing me, but some exercises really remind me that it is hurt. Hammer curls kill it.

Any advise is welcome. i am really pissed since I am really starting to see gains. I was really week, and it seems the past couple of weeks, my strength is really improving and I am stating to see visual improvement in my physique.

ironwill2008
04-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Don't do any exercise that causes discomfort in the shoulder. After 2-3 weeks, test it with light weight. If all's well, add some weight the next week. If you experience pain, stop.

It's likely barbell bench is the culprit. After your shoulder heals, you might want to move to dumbbells, the Smith, HammerStrength, or any other method of chest work that won't aggravate that shoulder.

If all this fails to help, it will be time to see the doc.

thomasale
04-07-2009, 02:10 AM
I had a shoulder problem on the bench also. I found if I took the bar all the way down to touch my chest I would have alot of pain. I then would do "shallow" bench and keep my upper arms parallel to the body ( like half a bench press) I was getting half results. Someone suggested bicep tendonitis and I went for deep tissue massage. I can now take the bar all the way down. BTW i had to lighten up on my bench but I am building it back up to where it was. I am also only working in the 5 to 8 rep area instead of the 10 to 12 rep. Slowwwww on the neg and then explode on the up movement. My $.02

Trooper59
04-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Week 9 of my training. I have been dealing with shoulder pain in my right shoulder for several weeks. I am a lefty btw. It is getting to the point where it is limiting me in the gym. I talked to the trainer about it and she gave me some rotator cuff exercises. I tried them out today on the cable machine. The movement that got me was pulling from inside out away from my body.

So, what to do? Just stay away from those exercises that hurt it for a while? Problem is, its bench, and that is the one I really need. I found that if I keep the arms from going below parallel to the ground, it minimizes the pain. I have long arms so that probably is how I injured it.

Seems to be nothing major as it is not killing me, but some exercises really remind me that it is hurt. Hammer curls kill it.

Any advise is welcome. i am really pissed since I am really starting to see gains. I was really week, and it seems the past couple of weeks, my strength is really improving and I am stating to see visual improvement in my physique.

I have been battling very similar discomfort in my left shoulder for about a month now. Mine is getting better and actually feels better when I work it. I go 5 on 2 off and I have more discomfort on my off days. Seems to get stiff. I have found if I do rotator cuff exercises on these days it feels much better. I have lightened my weight on bench and practice strict form. This has eliminated my pain in this lift. I found that if I take the bar down at the edge of my rib cage, arch my lower back off the bench and concentrate on clinching but scapulas together it puts the work more in my pecs and takes it out of my shoulders.

LyingSac
04-07-2009, 05:27 AM
injuries are going to happen....you're gonna have to back off some...i believe in full range of motion so i say lighten the weight for a month and let it heal.Since you're a lefty it's probably strugglin to keep up...

sybaris
04-07-2009, 05:34 AM
I've been dealing with this for years. Same thing on the bench, painful past parallel. Ibuprofin and stretching help tremendously. There's a sticky somewhere that talks about shoulder rehab and different stretching exercises.

QuadR
04-07-2009, 05:50 AM

I have an AC Separation in my left shoulder and had Rotator surgery on the right about 3-4 years a go. The best advice I was given was to stay parallel with the floor when benching and never drop your shoulders below that to avoid undo stress on your shoulders, cuff as well as upper pecs. I have dropped the weight on occasions, but found that a break in activity had been the subsiding factor to continued success. I don't recommend a complete stoppage, but rather an adjustment in the weight and routine.

aneas
04-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Don't do any exercise that causes discomfort in the shoulder.

This X2.

JonnyStead
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Rest rest rest! IMO

I switched to incline presses and its helped a lot. I'm only going back to flat bench during this cut because the weights are low.

It took months for mine to go away - I think your trainer needs some guidance though :(

dmtc73
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Same Issue here..

I did mine with the Shoulder Dumbell Press with bad form. I have heard this is common as not everyone has the same range of motion there. I am sure I read somewhere that it is better to have palms facing forward when you do Shoulder Dumbell presses as it minimises the chance of injury, but don't quote me. I have not got back into it yet..

Go to the Doctor...

It could be tendonitus, or something worse. Personally, I would avoid all exercise where you even feel your shoulder at least for 4 weeks from when it was last painful/or you were very weak, and then build up slowly. You want this to go away, and I am sure there are other areas you can build up.

There are a lot of different muscles in that area, that all have different ranges of motions, so only you would know which exercises you will be able to perform.

If in doubt, go crazy on the legs!

Google Rotator Cuff Exercises as well. You should find something..

Cheers

bodyhard
04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Rest rest rest. Unless it is something more serious than just a strain then go see a sports doctor.