PDA

View Full Version : Did a new exercise today....was actually alot of fun!!

DeathtoToasters
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Well I am one of those 'chin up/ pull up' challenged. I tried the negative pull ups (where you jump up and try to lower yourself down slowly) and was only able to hold myself for downward for about 2 seconds :(

Not very confidence building.

So I also planned on doing those pull ups where I am laying on the ground and the bar is a bit more then arms lengths away and I pull myself up to the bar with a straight back and legs. Kind of like a reverse gravity push up. I am not sure what they are called.

I found these more possible and did:

set of 10, set of 10, then set of 8.

Was very satisfying and felt great for the last exercise of a back day!

Hopefully it will help me build the lats up to do regular pull ups!

Just thought I would share!

raz1875
04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
So I also planned on doing those pull ups where I am laying on the ground and the bar is a bit more then arms lengths away and I pull myself up to the bar with a straight back and legs. Kind of like a reverse gravity push up. I am not sure what they are called.

I found these more possible and did:

set of 10, set of 10, then set of 8.

Is this the perfect pull-up? I saw something like this on
their add. It's a pull-up with less resistance.

Just started pull-ups not long ago myself. I am not going
to lie...it's been an up-hill battle but I'm getting stronger :D

Good work! Keep at it

DeathtoToasters
04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Here is a link that shows the exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba7q14s5-2w

Look at time stamp 1:59 min.

that is what I am talking about.

raz1875
04-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah those are a great way to work up to full pull-ups.

Keltron
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I love Australian Pull Ups.

However, you still need a vertical pulling exercise... why don't you set the bar at about chin height and then pull yourself up w/one or two feet on the ground to spot you?

LyingSac
04-06-2009, 08:01 PM
i think it's called rowing

StressMonkey
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Australian pullups are a lot of fun. I would keep them in the mix even after you can do your pullups.

DeathtoToasters
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Wise ass....... lol

JonnyStead
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM

/\ this

I dont see the value of these - the bent over row is the way to go surely?

WTF??
04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
It's funny you mention this, I just started doing this myself. I can't do enough pullups (5-6 in good form) to benefit that much.

OT, but are you the same deathtotoasters on azine?

namtrag
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
who else would randomly name themselves deathtotoasters?

LyingSac
04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
who else would randomly name themselves deathtotoasters?

somebody who got their peep stuck in one?

eomrat
04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I have been wondering this for a while. I have a shiny black two slice toaster and since seeing your user name I have been a little suspicious of it. It has never shown any violent tendencies, but I have to wonder if you know something I don't

Screw it, I am taking a hammer to that little bastard just to be sure.

tonester
04-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Just by way of a little tip on the inverted rows. Aim to touch your chest to the bar. The last couple of inches to the bar is where the scapular strength lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkIaarnf0g

cadaha
04-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Wouldn't working up to the equivalent of your bodyweight on Lat Pulldowns be a good way to get you to a stage where you can do pull ups?

I'm pull up challenged as well and keep increasing the weight on lat pulldowns, problem is that my bodyweight is increasing so I am chasing an elusive target LOL

wulf88
04-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Just by way of a little tip on the inverted rows. Aim to touch your chest to the bar. The last couple of inches to the bar is where the scapular strength lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkIaarnf0g

and also squeeze your back......

as for rows and other exercises, they all have their place. Some people have a harder time with pullups than others.