PDA

View Full Version : What if I do NOT consume Protein Supplements??

spn_gymfreak
03-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Hello ppl.....great place... my 1st post.

I am 20 yr old,started gymming 2 months back, and work out moderately at the gym, 4 times a week..i.e weight training.

I am a vegetarian, though I eat eggs..... I havent consumed any protein supplement so far....
My daily diet consists of lots of salads, pulses, lentils, milk and 4-5 eggs......not to mention the regular bread and etc....
I drink 4-5 spoons of B-protein with water...... ( B-Protein is a health drink, and has 40 gm protein per 100 gm powder )
My goal is to be fit, with a lean but defined physique.....

My question is:
What will be the effect on my body if I do not go for supplements? Are they an absolute neccecity??
Please explain.....

BrendanJ
03-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Hello ppl.....great place... my 1st post.

I am 20 yr old,started gymming 2 months back, and work out moderately at the gym, 4 times a week..i.e weight training.

I am a vegetarian, though I eat eggs..... I havent consumed any protein supplement so far....
My daily diet consists of lots of salads, pulses, lentils, milk and 4-5 eggs......not to mention the regular bread and etc....
I drink 4-5 spoons of B-protein with water...... ( B-Protein is a health drink, and has 40 gm protein per 100 gm powder )
My goal is to be fit, with a lean but defined physique.....

My question is:
What will be the effect on my body if I do not go for supplements? Are they an absolute neccecity??
Please explain.....

Protein shakes are not an absolutely necessary supplement if you are getting enough protein in from food alone (at least 1g per lb of bodyweight) If not they will probably come in handy to reach the 1g goal.

BG_1
03-28-2009, 05:07 AM
they are not necessity, and are not needed. There just a easy way of getting quick protien.

people take it because it absorbs faster then meat proteins , for example whey protien is very fast.

What ever you bodyweight is in lbs, if your reaching much grams in protien each day your fine, even a little under is okay too

backherms
03-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Nope, you can get your needed protein from whole foods.

Although, there is vegetarian protein powders out there.

Holyspokes
03-28-2009, 06:54 AM
1) You are already using a protein supplement...

2) No you do not need one, you can easily get adequate protein from your diet even without meat

Dr. Horse
03-28-2009, 08:32 AM
I havent consumed any protein supplement so far....

http://facepalm.org/images/13.jpg

B_Nelley35
03-28-2009, 08:49 AM
So you asked if protein supplement is necessary yet you are already using one?

Protein shakes help you get the adequate protein if you can't get it from regular foods. It's not some kind of special secret super powder.

lateralus87
03-28-2009, 08:54 AM
If you are okay with consuming milk and eggs you shouldn't have much of a problem. Vegan is where the real protein issues arise (though it can be done).

psaljoug
03-28-2009, 09:36 AM
you shouldnt have a problem getting protein if u are a vegetarian.. vegan maybe, but veg.. cottage cheese is pure protein.. some greek yogurts have tons of protein (***e), eggs (experiment with different kinds of eggs too.. not just chicken, but quail and ostrich eggs), you can add egg whites to pretty much any smoothie, chia seeds suprisinglyhave alof protein, there are peanut butters out there that are fortified with protein, and many grains like quinoa, or sprouted cereals have good amount of proteins.. not to mention legumes