PDA

View Full Version : Soda

trashkan
03-28-2009, 04:15 AM
I lift extremely early in the morning (4:40am) because of work and school restraints. I usually pop a 200mg caffeine pill about 20 minutes before my workout.

It's moderately effective though I wouldn't say I'm jittery at all. I'm just awake. My question is whether any of you drink soda for caffeine intake before a workout? Should I try slamming a Diet Mountain Dew before my extremely early morning workout?

IndefatigableL
03-28-2009, 04:27 AM
I know everyone's body reacts differently, but shouldn't the exercise alone wake you up? I wouldn't take anything unless you feel like it is absolutely neccessary.

As for the effectiveness of soda versus caffeine pills-- I don't know.

adam564
03-28-2009, 04:33 AM
I'm no expert on morning workouts but I guess this would depend on what time you're going to bed the previous night? and how many hours sleep you're getting in on average.

I had a quick look at your BodySpace and it is important to note that if you are doing an early bird workout your body will be burning more fat. It will also elevate your metabolism thus burning more calories throughout the day. Inturn this means if you're bulking up it's real important your not working out on an empty stomach first thing.

Getting stimulated with caffeine and soda is all well and good but to be honest I'd just take a long shower have a hearty breakfast and you'll go feeling ready for your workout as opposed to turning up half cut full of caffeine but empty (not suggesting you do this).

My advice would be get yourself some porridge with some sugar on it, a banana and a pint or two of water when you get up and you'll be setup for your workout.

trashkan
03-28-2009, 04:46 AM
thanks for the replies. I usually go to bed around 7:15pm or 7:30pm, but I'm a midnite snacker. It's not unusual for me to get up around 12am and have some oats. I just need something to shake off the grogginess.

It's difficult for me to eat at such an early hour. I've been extremely mindful of my macros ~2500cals, but just do not feel hungry AT ALL @ 4:15am. I tend to eat my first meal @ 6am.

7ABSOLUT7
03-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Lay off the caffeine... the first few days will feel weird but afterwards you won't miss it..

Take a cold shower

adam564
03-28-2009, 04:57 AM
Right I see what you're saying in that case what about atleast having a breakfast bar, it's understandable that you won't be hungry if you're snacked at 12. My suggestion would be just grab a piece of fruit or bowl or cereal to give you a bit of an edge.

I'm exactly the same first thing, you feel like crap and groggy as **** right? All I could suggest from what I know and my own personal experience would be make sure you're properly hydrated (seriously the importance of water can make all the difference). Down a pint or two come round get a shower and get something in you, sounds simple but honestly works for me.

Not sure about what supplements you're taking and I've never taken creatine so early but why not invest in come capsules may be just the thing to take 15 mins before your workout to pick you up. :)