PDA

View Full Version : I'm cutting and I'm pooped.

fashionista87
03-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm 4 days in to a depletion and I barely have energy to do anything, let alone get my workouts in. I am hungry constantly and very weak. Is this the norm when you're just starting to cut calories? I'm going for fat loss. Here's been my diet so far today:

1 C. Oatmeal w/fruit & soy milk
Coffee w/Silk soy creamer
1 scoop whey protein
--
1 pouch tuna
1/2 Kashi pumpkin granola bar
--
1 pouch tuna
broccoli & carrots
--
chicken
1 ww pita
hummus

And OF COURSE, tons of water throughout the day.

Tips are greatly appreciated.

MWheatley
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Lack of energy and strength comes hand in hand with cutting. But that looks like a good balanced diet for it. My only advice would be to give yourself a cheat day randomly in the week. One day to throw in some extra fat and carbs will do you good and help with energy for at least a day or two. Hope this helps.

Dr. Horse
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Maybe this is your problem?

fashionista87
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Lack of energy and strength comes hand in hand with cutting. But that looks like a good balanced diet for it. My only advice would be to give yourself a cheat day randomly in the week. One day to throw in some extra fat and carbs will do you good and help with energy for at least a day or two. Hope this helps.

OK. Well, does the feeling ever... "go away" per say?

MWheatley
03-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Maybe this is your problem?

No. water is needed no matter what your goals are. someone ranging 100-150 lbs that is active i would say 6-8 cups would suffice.

The feeling of dragging ass and constant hunger with the mixed in anger does pass over time lol. That is how i felt during my first week or two of cutting. Over time your body adjusts and you can tweak your timing of meals which greatly helped me out (mentaly)

Also, once you start seeing results it will be much easier to be strict and your body will have adjusted by that time.

Dr. Horse
03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
No. water is needed no matter what your goals are.

Did I say it wasn't needed?

justanotherchik
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm 4 days in to a depletion and I barely have energy to do anything, let alone get my workouts in. I am hungry constantly and very weak. Is this the norm when you're just starting to cut calories? I'm going for fat loss. Here's been my diet so far today:

1 C. Oatmeal w/fruit & soy milk
Coffee w/Silk soy creamer
1 scoop whey protein
--
1 pouch tuna
--
1 pouch tuna
broccoli & carrots
--
chicken
1 ww pita
hummus

Tips are greatly appreciated.

strong lack of fats. other than that and that it doesn't sem like much food looks good. its pretty normal to feel bad when first starting a cut. your body should adjust soon.

noise
03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
You should take this: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Synergy-3000-Multi-Vitamin-Version-11

BlueFenix13S
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
strong lack of fats. other than that and that it doesn't sem like much food looks good. its pretty normal to feel bad when first starting a cut. your body should adjust soon.

Strong lack of calories too, even for a female. That's what, maybe 1000 calories? OP needs to eat more. IMO you shouldn't go below 1,500 on a cut as a female.

FLEX_09
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Did I say it wasn't needed?

Where are you going with this......

Dr. Horse
03-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Where are you going with this......

OP said she's drinking "tons" of water. Depending on what "tons" means to her, she could be drinking too much water.

fashionista87
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM

OP said she's drinking "tons" of water. Depending on what "tons" means to her, she could be drinking too much water.

Haha. I don't think I'm drinking TOO MUCH water. That's difficult to do.
And about the calories? I'm totaling it to be somewhere around 1500, plus Ima eat a bit more still. So actually, it always seems that my cals are still too high for fat loss.

Dr. Horse
03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Haha. I don't think I'm drinking TOO MUCH water. That's difficult to do.

Not as hard as you might think.

So.... what is "tons" of water?

justanotherchik
03-26-2009, 09:44 PM

not doubting you but what are the potential problems of drinking too much water? i've never heard of this before.

Guai
03-26-2009, 09:47 PM
not doubting you but what are the potential problems of drinking too much water? i've never heard of this before.

Flushing nutrients out, making your kidneys work over time for no good reason...

What's the point of drinking 6L of water a day if you'll just be pissing every 30 minutes?

Of course Mr. Horse is the knowledgeable one here but I still find it pointless to drink that much water considering the amount of water you already get from not only other liquids but pretty much everything you eat.

justanotherchik
03-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Flushing nutrients out, making your kidneys work over time for no good reason...

What's the point of drinking 6L of water a day if you'll just be pissing every 30 minutes?

Of course Mr. Horse is the knowledgeable one here but I still find it pointless to drink that much water considering the amount of water you already get from not only other liquids but pretty much everything you eat.

Whomper107
03-26-2009, 09:51 PM

Although it's possible, it seems much more likely that it is the reduced calorie diet causing her dragging feelings. It is pretty normal to feel that way, and it will not permanently become easier, nor will the feelings go away forever. There will be some weeks where you have no problem at all, and others where you are at your breaking point - hungry, irritable, and tired. In my experience it swings back and forth.

If you are taking in 1500 calories, then that leaves relatively few options.

Just work to make sure you are getting the most out of every calorie. Use the lowest calorie condiments/seasonings/etc. that you can, to allow larger portions of real food. Eat the most fiber and nutrient dense carbs you can - it won't have any effect on your actual fat loss if the calories are the same, but they will keep you full longer, making it easier to tolerate the diet.

Try adding in some (calorie free/low calorie) stimulants as well, such as caffeine, preworkout supplements, coffee, etc. Diet soda is great when cutting - kills your sweet tooth, helps suppress your appetite a bit, and the caffeine will you give you a pick-me-up.

Make sure you enjoy all the foods you are eating as well - there is no reason to eat things you don't like. If you haven't already, try looking into Walden Farms products. They make a decent line of calorie free condiments. I personally recommend their BBQ sauce and maple syrup.

If you are not currently, considering incorporating a refeed day into your diet. Around once every week or two, bump your calories up to maintenance, keep protein below 1g/lb of bodyweight, fats as low as possible, and all the rest of your calories from carbs. It will have positive effects on your body's fat loss hormones, and replenish the glycogen in your muscles.

Dr. Horse
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Although it's possible, it seems much more likely that it is the reduced calorie diet causing her dragging feelings.

I agree, feeling beat on a severe calorie deficit is not uncommon. I was just suggesting an alternate explanation given the OP's description.

FatAzz
03-26-2009, 10:54 PM

you can die. Comes in the news all the time. Of course, before you die, your salt proportions will be whacked out.

Guai
03-26-2009, 11:04 PM
you can die. Comes in the news all the time. Of course, before you die, your salt proportions will be whacked out.

Well you have to have sweated a LOT and have had a LOT of water very very fast for that to happen... Not to say it's impossible but the situation would have to be very specific, like a marathon runner just finishing his 42km run then chuggin a gallon of water sort of thing.

Amoral
03-26-2009, 11:36 PM
It seems a lot of people made this a lot more complicated than it really is. Op cut her calories too low and isnt eating enough carbs.

followme
03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Feeling weak while also hungry may also be a sign of blood sugar levels being out of whack. If it's continual and it concerns you, tell your doctor and have him check your blood sugar level.

Nick1971
03-27-2009, 01:58 AM
1) Don't eat too little - no less than 500 calories lower than your maintenance level. It seems like you might be eating much less than you should.

2) Eat more frequently, with smaller meals, so that you don't experience quite the large contrasts you might if you only eat 3 times daily.

3) If you are not currently doing weight training, you should consider doing a fullbody weight training routine maybe twice a week.

Lastly, I just want to say that, at 5'3", 118 lbs - you really don't have to lose much weight (if any) for a woman of your age. :)

xpose
03-27-2009, 02:02 AM

since when? im stuffed all the time and losing weight.

fashionista87
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Update: Still feeling very hungry and weak on the cut, but less lethargic... Check the diet today:

oatmeal w/1 sm. banana, raisins, dash of soy milk
tea w/soy creamer
1 sc. whey
pre-w:
1 can tuna
mini ww bagel

workout: no weights today, just 45 min. ss on recumbent bike & 10 min. abs

post-w:
1/2 mini ww bagel
1 sc. whey

celery & carrots
1 can tuna

mixed nuts
raisins

salad w/grilled chicken
spray balsalmic

How does this look? I have it around 1750 calories. Too many?

Amoral
04-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Update: Still feeling very hungry and weak on the cut, but less lethargic... Check the diet today:

oatmeal w/1 sm. banana, raisins, dash of soy milk
tea w/soy creamer
1 sc. whey
pre-w:
1 can tuna
mini ww bagel

workout: no weights today, just 45 min. ss on recumbent bike & 10 min. abs

post-w:
1/2 mini ww bagel
1 sc. whey

celery & carrots
1 can tuna

mixed nuts
raisins

salad w/grilled chicken
spray balsalmic

How does this look? I have it around 1750 calories. Too many?

What did your meal plan look like before? How many calories? Is your training any different? Are you more active? More stress? There are so many things.

cyde
04-07-2009, 09:07 PM
What do you mean you are 4 days into depletion? Are you doing a depletion week for a show, ...or you recently switched to a low carb diet?

The_Animal11
04-07-2009, 09:47 PM
i think you need more healthy fats, but other than that looks pretty good today.

feeling a lack of energy is pretty normal on a cut. you can get used to it and learn to live with it a little bit, and eventually it doesnt effect you as much.

I felt like that all the way through prep for my last show, but i dont feel like that anymore. The only thing that I have changed is I changed one supplement. I was taking a generic acetyl-l-carnitine, but i switched to Beverly's Lean Out. I have noticed a HUGE increase in energy while using this supplement. ive had alot of other people report this as well. might wanna give it a shot!

JDkeystone
04-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Although it's possible, it seems much more likely that it is the reduced calorie diet causing her dragging feelings. It is pretty normal to feel that way, and it will not permanently become easier, nor will the feelings go away forever. There will be some weeks where you have no problem at all, and others where you are at your breaking point - hungry, irritable, and tired. In my experience it swings back and forth.

This.

Having been on my own cutting diet for over 8 months, I can honestly say it has not gotten "easier"; if anything, it's gotten progressively worse (and is almost to the point where I'm ready to just accept that I'm fighting a losing battle and am just not MEANT to be as skinny as I'd like to be, and just call the whole thing off).

Sorry, not trying to discourage you (more just me venting over my own frustration:(), but depending on how much you want to lose, I don't think it's fair to let you believe what you're feeling right now is going to eventually subside or truly "go away"...cuz it won't (not til you raise your cals back up to maintenance). That's just the hard, cold, bitter truth about dieting for fat loss:mad:

justanotherchik
04-07-2009, 10:04 PM
This.

Having been on my own cutting diet for over 8 months, I can honestly say it has not gotten "easier"; if anything, it's gotten progressively worse (and is almost to the point where I'm ready to just accept that I'm fighting a losing battle and am just not MEANT to be as skinny as I'd like to be, and just call the whole thing off).

Sorry, not trying to discourage you (more just me venting over my own frustration:(), but depending on how much you want to lose, I don't think it's fair to let you believe what you're feeling right now is going to eventually subside or truly "go away"...cuz it won't (not til you raise your cals back up to maintenance). That's just the hard, cold, bitter truth about dieting for fat loss:mad:

wow 8 months straight cutting! thats rough :( great job sticking to it. maybe you should go back up to maintanence for just a week or two though to give yourself a break. i know i'd be shot by now.

The_Animal11
04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
This.

i agree with givin yourself a break for a couple weeks. it could help ya revamp your metabolism a little bit too!

i also have to disagree with you about fighting a losing battle. your pics show alot of really nice progress.

JDkeystone
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
wow 8 months straight cutting! thats rough :( great job sticking to it. maybe you should go back up to maintanence for just a week or two though to give yourself a break. i know i'd be shot by now.

Heh yeah, that's what my trainer is telling me to do as well. But I dunno if it's psychological or what, but anytime I try to increase my cals to maintenance to give myself a "break", I totally end up overdoing it and just end up having a "cheat" meal/day (which I already try to allow myself regularly once a week or once every 2 weeks). And these extra "cheats" are really starting to add up, so I gotta nip it in the bud asap.

So I'm just playing around with my macros for now (upping protein and fats and lowering carbs without actually switching to keto) and doing everything I can to try to kill the hunger pangs without going over my cals and just not think about it.

But yeah, to the OP- just wanted to let you know I totally know where you're coming from. It ****ing sucks, but just keep with it (knowing that your future results will be your "reward");)

JDkeystone
04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
i agree with givin yourself a break for a couple weeks. it could help ya revamp your metabolism a little bit too!

i also have to disagree with you about fighting a losing battle. your pics show alot of really nice progress.

Lol Thanks. Don't get me wrong; I am happy with my results, but I'm just not where I'd like to be yet (and as it is, getting to where I've already gotten has been nothing short of hell).

But yeah, taking a break is prolly in order. It's just keeping myself sane and controlled when I do try to increase my cals a bit that I gotta work on haha.