PDA

View Full Version : How did we lose in baseball?

Hardcore_D00d
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
We have the tallest, biggest, strongest, and probably fastest guys......

94beast
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM

How hard are the people making 20 million a year playing?

ChefPhalBignuts
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
They have the most skilled

Hardcore_D00d
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
They have the most skilled

i guess u could say that...

baseball is america's past time too.

johnny87
03-23-2009, 03:34 PM
american starting pitching sucks now. 10 years ago American starting pitchers were all dominant. Maddux, Clemens, Smoltz, Glavine, etc.

now we got ****ty ass i suck away from Petco Jake Peavy. Oswalt is pretty good.

94beast
03-23-2009, 03:34 PM
american starting pitching sucks now. 10 years ago American starting pitchers were all dominant. Maddux, Clemens, Smoltz, Glavine, etc.

They should've thrown in Lester.

yankeekd25
03-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Lincecum, Hamels, Sabathia, Halladay? Where were they?????????

johnny87
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM

i can understand Sabathia not playing. overpitched last season, needs to worry about living up to a massive deal.

yankeekd25
03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
i can understand Sabathia not playing. overpitched last season, needs to worry about living up to a massive deal.

Yeah I know. Just listing some of USA's best pitchers. Lincecum would have been soooooooooooo nasty to face. Halladay has a bionic arm.

johnny87
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
speaking of lincecum. that commercial of him for the videogame looks pretty sweet. the videogame him looks pretty damn good.

Jyeatbvg
03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Just like how did Canada lose in the Hockey World Juniors or Olympics...

oh wait

TheStack
03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.udel.edu/chem/theopold/chem465/copland.udel.edu/~jwhite/steroids.jpg

magicmatt
03-23-2009, 07:39 PM

correct but most of them use this as their spring training and dont give 100%

KingCanuck
03-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Halladay is pretty much Canadian....

Ya mad?

TheStack
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM

Ya mad?

BOOM headshot

bbacn123
03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
That's great, unfortunately this isn't football. You have to have skill to win, not just be physically superior.

ApatoJay
03-23-2009, 09:44 PM
lol at you guys saying the americans didnt give 100%

how hard is it to give 100%? you either attempt to hit the ball or you dont. You dont kind of try to hit it.

JIGSAW
03-23-2009, 10:10 PM

no we don't.....no we don't.......no we don't...........and no.....we don't

Other countries have their BEST OF THE BEST on their teams....USA doesn't.

BeanieWells
03-23-2009, 10:14 PM
much like how the dream team were getting owned before last years olympics

StanDarsh
03-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Many MLB stars value their health and contracts more than playing in the WBC.

Docta J
03-23-2009, 10:55 PM

cuz baseball is barely athletic. It's not about being big strong fast and stuff..its about technique and a little bit of strength i guess. More of a game than a sport, but then again they consider golf a sport.

NoS_oUtLaSt
03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
That's great, unfortunately this isn't football. You have to have skill to win, not just be physically superior.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/0424_large.jpg

WerenotScared
03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Because Japan plays better baseball than us.

Ichiro is the perfect example of why they beat us. Not flashy, doesn't have mega-power, just goes up to the plate and slaps the ball around, steals a couple of bases, and drives a few runs in here and there, and plays solid defense. He's probably the most fundamentally sound player in all of baseball.

magicmatt
03-24-2009, 04:08 AM

how hard is it to give 100%? you either attempt to hit the ball or you dont. You dont kind of try to hit it.

this could be the dumbest thing ive ever read. hitting is only one aspect of the game.

JRRBadBoy4Life
03-24-2009, 04:16 AM

Actually our tallest, biggest, strongest, and fastest guys are divided among other pro sports. The Japs, Koreans, Ricans, and Dominicans have baseball and only baseball, basically. How many persons from one of the above mentioned countries do you see playing in the NFL? How about the NHL? Maybe a few in the NBA, but not many at all.

ApatoJay
03-24-2009, 04:39 AM
this could be the dumbest thing ive ever read. hitting is only one aspect of the game.
whats the other aspect? standing in place? doing nothing? catching a ball? throwing a ball? lightly jogging back to the bench to wait for your turn to go up and hit the ball?

all im saying is i dont see how someone can give less then 100% in baseball. maybe a pitcher can not have his best stuff, but other then that everybody is trying as hard as they ever do, i promise.

bill257
03-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Aren't a lot of MLB not from America so they play for their home country? So we don't even really have the best players from our league playing.

jkeithc82
03-24-2009, 06:17 AM

You keep saying this but where are you getting these ideas?

Since PETCO opened in 2004, Peavy's stats on the road...

W - 34

L - 21

ERA - 3.31

WHIP - 1.22

Opp. BA - .237

Those are actually pretty solid numbers for a pitcher. I just don't know where you've gotten this idea that Peavy is trash away from PETCO. Its simply not true.

ASWEDE
03-24-2009, 06:43 AM
A lot of the most talented americans chose not to play or their team discouraged them. Throw in the injuries and the level of talent on the other teams, the american team did pretty good. The commissioner said last night he ran into roadblocks getting teams to commit their high priced, star players. And in all fairness, the Japanese team was damn good.

yankeekd25
03-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Ya mad?

Roy Halladay was born in Denver, Colorado. He's a natural born citizen of the USA.

stevxyz
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM

this

jkeithc82
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM

whats the other aspect? standing in place? doing nothing? catching a ball? throwing a ball? lightly jogging back to the bench to wait for your turn to go up and hit the ball?

all im saying is i dont see how someone can give less then 100% in baseball. maybe a pitcher can not have his best stuff, but other then that everybody is trying as hard as they ever do, i promise.

Examples of not giving 100% would be not running hard on ground balls, not hustling in the field (perhaps diving and making a catch rather than just letting the ball drop), being more patient at the plate, taking an extra base if possible on a ball hit to the gap, stretching plays, not being complacent on fundamentals, etc.

Baseball isn't about just hitting a ball. ;)

stevxyz
03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Examples of not giving 100% would be not running hard on ground balls, not hustling in the field (perhaps diving and making a catch rather than just letting the ball drop), being more patient at the plate, taking an extra base if possible on a ball hit to the gap, stretching plays, not being complacent on fundamentals, etc.

Baseball isn't about just hitting a ball. ;)

other teams didnt give 100% either. just sayin

jkeithc82
03-24-2009, 09:33 AM

I never said they did or agreed that the US didn't.

I'm saying that giving 100% in baseball isn't simply attempting to hit a ball or not.

ASWEDE
03-24-2009, 09:38 AM

The two teams playing last night sure as hell were.

CardsFan
03-24-2009, 09:50 AM
We lost because we were the least prepared team in the tournament and not because Japan, Korea, and Cuba have better players or because our players didn't try or even because many of our greatest players didn't participate.

Even without Sizemore, Howard, Teixeira, Utley, Halladay, Lincecum, Hamels, Nathan, etc. The list could go on. Even without all those players we still had the best talent on our roster from top to bottom of any team out there. Jeter, Rollins, Braun, and Wright are among the best in MLB. Peavy and Oswalt are top flight pitchers. You'd be hard pressed to objectively name a dozen MLB pitchers better than either of them. Korea has one player on an MLB roster. He's an Indians OF and he's probably not even among their top 5 players. After Ichiro Japan doesn't have a single top flight MLB position player. Fukudome? He's an avg MLB starter at best.

They were simply better prepared then our players. They started preparing for this tournament as a team back in December. Our team started preparations back in February and probably got in less work than they had if they were playing in spring training games. It's an embarrassment for USA baseball to prepare like this. Take for instance the game against Japan two nights ago. Jeter, DeRosa, Roberts, and Dunn made big errors affecting the outcome. If it were April 23rd and not March 23rd do you really think Jeter doesn't make that throw over to first in time and on target playing for the Yankees? That shot at Roberts was a hot one but the hop was clean. If it were April 23rd Roberts makes that play look routine. Even Dunn as a lousy OF gets a better jump on that ball in RF and doesn't lolligag after it. Our guys weren't ready for game one of this tournament they way they'd have been ready for game one of the MLB season.

And don't get me started on how our team was managed during all of this. Rollins or Jeter batting third? Should have been Wright or Braun. Rollins and Jeter splitting time at SS and DH? Pick one or the other. Putting Adam Dunn in the field when you can play a DH? Terrible idea. You just got the game within two runs in the top of the 8th inning and you leave Shields, your best and most experienced middle reliever, on the bench to start the bottom half of the inning? This was an elimination game right? Well Johnson managed it like a spring training game and you can't win like that.

We were the least prepared team in the tourney. Plain and simple. Japan and Korea were better in this tourney because they were better prepared not because they have better players and better teams.