PDA

View Full Version : My boyfriend Argues...

msgogodancer
03-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Is this following statement true ?

If you have bodyfat over your abs...and you do ab exercises everyday, you will get a 6 pack ?

True or false ?

My answer was - No, you will build up the muscle underneath the fat But, if you want to see any ab definement...it is al about the diet.

right or wrong ?

Thank you ?

adwilk
03-19-2009, 07:01 AM
You are correct, he is not... dump him ;)

th3pwn3r
03-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Is this following statement true ?

If you have bodyfat over your abs...and you do ab exercises everyday, you will get a 6 pack ?

True or false ?

My answer was - No, you will build up the muscle underneath the fat But, if you want to see any ab definement...it is al about the diet.

right or wrong ?

Thank you ?

You're both right. If you had very large ab muscles they would still be visible depending on how thick the fat is. So in a sense you're both right. But...trying to do ab work outs to the point your abs push all the fat out and stretch the fat is silly if you ask me. Very few people with fat on their abs display them as they could if they had lower body fat levels.

FloridaGator
03-19-2009, 07:03 AM
You are correct. I have been told that everyone has great looking abs because they are muscles that are worked all the time regardless of what you are doing. That same person that told me the above also told me that you don't really have to do a lot of ab workouts to get a six pack. You just need to remove the fat from the belly to see it. Not sure if that is true or not ... but it makes sense.

wilkie2
03-19-2009, 07:05 AM
yes your boyfriend is correct! If you do exercises for abs your stomach muscles will grow into a 'sixpack'.........................................

but if they are covered in a layer of fat nobody will be able to see them

adwilk
03-19-2009, 07:06 AM
You are correct. I have been told that everyone has great looking abs because they are muscles that are worked all the time regardless of what you are doing. That same person that told me the above also told me that you don't really have to do a lot of ab workouts to get a six pack. You just need to remove the fat from the belly to see it. Not sure if that is true or not ... but it makes sense.

Very true... Although, working the abs is good for you too. We constantly walk around be we workout our legs.. having a strong core will help other exercises as well. The added work certainly wont hurt the look of the 6 or 8 pack...

adwilk
03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
yes your boyfriend is correct! If you do exercises for abs your stomach muscles will grow into a 'sixpack'.........................................

but if they are covered in a layer of fat nobody will be able to see them

Show me somebody with sub 8 percent body fat that doesnt have a six pack...(considering they are healthy) even if they've never done an ab workout in their life...

Sure, nobody is gonna argue that working abs doesnt hurt, but its 99 percent about body fat...

wilkie2
03-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Show me somebody with sub 8 percent body fat that doesnt have a six pack...(considering they are healthy) even if they've never done an ab workout in their life...

Sure, nobody is gonna argue that working abs doesnt hurt, but its 99 percent about body fat...

but if those sub 8 percent body fat people added some ab work into their day/training then the definition in those abs would increase .Agree thats its virtually all diet though

FloridaGator
03-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Very true... Although, working the abs is good for you too. We constantly walk around be we workout our legs.. having a strong core will help other exercises as well. The added work certainly wont hurt the look of the 6 or 8 pack...

Right ... wasn't implying not to work the abs out ... but just that the abs are used no matter what you are doing. Even when walking not all of the leg muscles are being used ... but you are using the abs while walking. I kinda laugh inside though when I see that same person at the gym doing like 30min worth of ab exercises everyday after a routine but you never see them do any cardio.

FloridaGator
03-19-2009, 07:15 AM
but if those sub 8 percent body fat people added some ab work into their day/training then the definition in those abs would increase .Agree thats its virtually all diet though

I would argue otherwise. A lot of the exercises used to get down to 8%bf work the abs out as well.

latverian
03-19-2009, 07:16 AM
you are 100% correct.

I know lots of really skinny people who do not have any visable abbs. Everyone has abdominal muscles but that does not mean they show in the impressive 6 pack form when the shirt comes off. it takes yrs of hard work.

I was doing 300 sit ups a night when i was 13 yrs old. My abbs are there but if anyone think it comes over night or already there then theya re gretly mistaken.

educate your boyfriend dear. If he is not intimidated by your knowledge and the fact you know more then him he will thank you for educating him on it if he takes offense and argues then hes insecure and you need to dump him on his head.

snorkelman
03-19-2009, 07:18 AM
you can always just use make-up/airbrush like mariah did...

http://pics.hollywoodrag.com/uploads2/mariaweh1.jpg

th3pwn3r
03-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Right ... wasn't implying not to work the abs out ... but just that the abs are used no matter what you are doing. Even when walking not all of the leg muscles are being used ... but you are using the abs while walking. I kinda laugh inside though when I see that same person at the gym doing like 30min worth of ab exercises everyday after a routine but you never see them do any cardio.

I would argue otherwise. A lot of the exercises used to get down to 8%bf work the abs out as well.

This guy knows what he's talking about. I've said this many times, there are lots of PROFESSIONAL BODY BUILDERS who don't even train abs directly, no sit ups, no crunches, no knee raises, nothing. The abs get used through most exercise and are used without most people even knowing it.

REPPED!

Vietgoboi
03-19-2009, 07:21 AM
False

Super Man
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
You're right. Now will you be my girlfriend?

msgogodancer
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Why thank you for the info. I am going to school to be a dietitian and he still thinks I don't know what I am talking bout when it comes to any fitness,he just makes fun.

but, you proved him wrong thanks

Kyle.Lgk
03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Working abs directly will firm them (increasing the cut between each ab)... but a clean diet and/or cardio routine is necessary to get them visible...

Genetics also play a role... so for some people it can be harder to reveal em...
and at 5'11, 165 lbs id imagine he's already pretty lean

Lean Xtreme is a great non-stim fat burner (cortisol blocker) that is known for yielding results specifically in the midsection... may want to look into it