PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to lift weights???

remyred09
03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Hello...i was wondering if it is okay to lift weights and do cardio everyday.. and if not how often should i, weight 156Lbs. want if off asap.

dkemano42
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello...i was wondering if it is okay to lift weights and do cardio everyday.. and if not how often should i, weight 156Lbs. want if off asap.

Hey,

Dont lift weights every day. Lift every other day for 3 to 4 days a week, work different muscle groups. Cardio is ok as long as you don't cut your calories too much.

DK

th3pwn3r
03-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Well, it's alright to lift but you don't need to do it everyday. Make sure you allow a couple days a week for recovery and take it slow. I know you want it off ASAP but be patient about it and it will happen. Being in a hurry to cut the weight can be very stressful.

snorkelman
03-19-2009, 01:56 AM
you don't need a couple days off between lifting...but you do need a couple days off before hitting the same bodyparts. So, if you do a full body workout, then you would not lift every day. However, if you do some kind of split, like back and bi one day, chest and tri another day, you can workout on back to back days. Cardio is fine every day, but the more you do all this stuff, the more you risk burnout. Just google overtraining and watch out for the signs. Many people lift and actually perform cardio immediately after their weight training.

LawryB
03-19-2009, 02:21 AM
well after your workout its good to do cardio because ur carbohydrates are low and so it goes straight for the fat, but it burns a little muscle aswell.Just drink 1 whey protein after cardio then the catabolism stops and the fat has been burnt too . As for lifting weights every day u should use low weight and high reps that and little rest time thatll help u kick up your burn rate too.Just dont overdo it, if you feel sleepy in gym then take some days off.

aneas
03-19-2009, 02:35 AM
I do weights 5 times a week. I see no issue doing cardio daily if you want to.

Fat loss is more about diet than anything else. Fast is desired but not always best.

man0war
03-19-2009, 02:36 AM
As long as you don't want huge muscle gains [that's really long term speaking of course] , you can do cardio every day , whenever you feel comfy. I like doing cardio right after my workout for many reasons.

It's not about it being a problem to lift daily. Just leave at least 2 days and generally speaking 3 days is probably best for most people between the same muscle group. I don't have my gym membership up at this time, but I usually lift daily : day 1 [back+biceps] day 2 [chest+triceps] day 3 [shoulders+legs] and abs usually more often, only 2 days rest between ab workouts. Day 4 is back+biceps again so I keep 3 days between muscle groups but I lift daily. I'd take a day off whenever I feel like I want one, maybe once every 6 or 9 days. This has worked to great effect for me and as long as you don't pass on any meals and keep a decent diet, there's no reason why you shouldn't be this active, it'll change your body faster and pretty safely.

UltraDuke
03-19-2009, 02:44 AM
i lift 5 days a week in the morning. diff muscle group each day. in the afternoon I do 45min run at medium pace. ends up being 4.25 miles.

as long as you keep at it and get your diet in check you will have no time dropping weight SAFELY. remember there are no miracle short cuts, just hard work.

Uber_Dad
03-19-2009, 08:48 AM
I've been lifting three days a week and been losing more weight than ever, and gaining muscle.

MY GF is doing much the same and her dresses are falling off of her.

You can lift and loose a LOT of FAT, but it is mostly about diet, can't eat crap.

th3pwn3r
03-19-2009, 09:01 AM
you don't need a couple days off between lifting...but you do need a couple days off before hitting the same bodyparts. So, if you do a full body workout, then you would not lift every day. However, if you do some kind of split, like back and bi one day, chest and tri another day, you can workout on back to back days. Cardio is fine every day, but the more you do all this stuff, the more you risk burnout. Just google overtraining and watch out for the signs. Many people lift and actually perform cardio immediately after their weight training.

Remember, you're damaging your muscles when you do cardio as well. By doing cardio every single day you're not allowing those muscles used in the cardio to recover too much. I learned this the hard way when my quads were in really bad shape from too much activity and not enough recovery time. You mentioned over training which is very important as well to stay away from. I believe it's best for your body and joints to allow some days off in between cardio but if you're only doing small sessions I guess it's alright. It all depends on intensity and duration of the work out in my opinion. Also, some people recover much better and faster than others.

remyred09
04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
thsnks guys for the info...

rockdawg21
04-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Resting your muscles is more important. Each time you lift, you create micro tears in your muscle fibers. Consider it like a cut, don't keep picking at it or it will take longer to heal. Also, the ONLY time your muscles actually grow is when you're sleeping.