PDA

View Full Version : excesive intake of proteins in one day?

fullmetal20
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Hello. Mi question is the following:

My calorie needs on my workout days according to my weight and fat (my weight 160lbs and my fat 13.5) are 3600 calories. I workout for 60 minutes.

I read articles in this pages 8bodybuilding.com) about the percentage i have to divide this calories (fats, carbohydrates and protein). From what i read i found that 35% of protein, 50% of carbs and 15% of fat was OK.

My big big doubt is the following: if i do the math, my daily intake of protein is about 320 grams a day . I have read everywhere that a "normal" protein intake for bodybuilding is , maximum, 2 grams per pound of bodyweight. This means that this 320 grams for me are very very far from this recomendation

?Did I do something wrong? are 320 grams of protein too much?

thanks a lot

K_J
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes that's a bit excessive. Try to get 1g/lb-1.5g/lb everyday.

terracotta
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't think your caloric needs are 3600 per day though. You are only 160 lbs.

Try this calculator here - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#
add 300-500 to maintenance for bulking.

eddiebo
03-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Some may tell you otherwise, though my understanding is 320 is too much.
Though I personally can go a bit high (if I don't keep track) especially with a protein shake pre and post workout.

You can only put so much muscle on your body within a given time. Progress will take a little time. I keep increasing the weight resistance in my workouts keep the protein and fat high and the carbs much higher and am seeing some gains.

eddiebo
03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't think your caloric needs are 3600 per day though. You are only 150 lbs.

Try this calculator here - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#
add 300-500 to maintenance for bulking.

I think he may be going by his goal weight. OP correct me if i am wrong.

fullmetal20
03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I have been eating about 3600 cals for about three months and i have had a constant weight of 160 pounds. I also thought 320 grams were too excesive.

Besides the protein quantity that you recommended me (1g/lb-1.5g/lb), how much fat and carbs should i eat (percentage %)???? any "normal" or "common" values?

thanks

FLEX_09
03-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Thats way too much P, I would recommend around 200-250g

Edit: If i was you i wouldnt look so deep into it all, just eat like a horse and train hard.

determined4000
03-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Unless you are purposely excluding something, chances are you will get adequate amounts of all macros with that calorie intake

terracotta
03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
I have been eating about 3600 cals for about three months and i have had a constant weight of 160 pounds. I also thought 320 grams were too excesive.

Besides the protein quantity that you recommended me (1g/lb-1.5g/lb), how much fat and carbs should i eat (percentage %)???? any "normal" or "common" values?

thanks

I'd do the 1-1.5g/lb for protein, 20-30% of calories from fats, and the rest from carbohydrates. If your weight has been constant then you will have to eat more. I don't think it is a matter of macronutrients so much.

Also, you might have to look at your workouts and see if they are effective.

sunngodd
03-18-2009, 06:53 AM
this is why designing a diet from macro percentages is retarded

markXY128
03-18-2009, 07:04 AM
It looks like proteins speed up the ageing process.

I dont like to spend money just to get older faster...

http://intensedf.com/Content/Health/Book/Longevity.aspx

grapemaster
03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Kind of excessive... I eat a bit lower protein than most people (.8g/lbm) and focus on QUALITY... lots of fish and eggs. No processed meats and only powder in a pinch PWO. As my body has become more trained I actually find getting enough quality carbs to be a better catalyst on performance and doing much more difficult workouts. But when I was fattier and untrained, a higher protein lower carb diet worked better and was on the lower carb bandwagon. I think my body just partitions things better now as my body chemistry muscle/fat ratio, endurance etc. has obviously changed.This works for me, but I'm an easy gainer. You might not get the same results.
Note though I've been lifting casually and consistently since I was 16 and now I'm 28 and run a lot also and play casual sports (basketball, baseball, football, racquetball, shorter distance runs (10K, 15K, maybe a half marathon sometimes), a newb will have different results on a different diet, different gains, ... where are you? So will a bodybuilder only focused on physique, or a power lifter focused on strength gains.

I'm more focused on well rounded athletic performance and health, and try to keep a pretty good physique with constant decent abs, but never trying to cut down to a show level and lose the performance or strength or endurance that comes with cutting and bulking. You really have to ask yourself where you want to be, and where you currently are. That will dictate your diet more.

Negativecreep0
03-18-2009, 07:39 AM
since you're 32'11" tall and only about a 140 i say eat up the excess of calories can only help to increase your weight........

1 -1.5 g per lb is fine though brahhhh......... studys show 1 g is actually plenty for building muscle.......... when cutting I shoot for 1.5 g when i drop carbs a lil