PDA

View Full Version : Fitnessman-Carb spike after cardio

Edutk
01-29-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm a triathlete experimenting with the keto diet to a few pounds. I know this will hurt my endurance work quite a bit, but the diet is temporary for me. I was wondering if I could keep a consistent running, swimming, cycling schedule while on the diet and should I carb load after I do my endurance work? I also lift weights 3 or 4 times a week. I'm not sure when to take my carbs.

fitnessman
01-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Being a Tri-athelet That is a good question.

Post weights, always have 30g carbs and 30g protien.

As far as the cardio, 10g glutamine prior and 1/2 serving whey after, low carbs. IF(note the capital letters) weight training is done that day also(2 a days)

If cardio only for the day, I am assuming that being a tri-athlete you go at it pretty hard, Have the shake with the carbs. I dont recommend that often, but we dont want any muscle being burned.

Two carb spikes for the day are not good and throw the metabolism off.

You will be surprised once your metabolism shifts to a fat for fuel one. The energy levels are amazing.

Remember, Ketogenic diets are just fancy ways of saying high fat diets. Without the fat it dont work!

Edutk
01-29-2002, 04:57 PM
Fitnessman,

Thanks a ton. This helps a lot. I do train extremely hard when cycling, running and swimming. I am guessing my calorie levels should be pretty high? I"m 5'9" 165lbs by the way.

fitnessman
01-30-2002, 04:17 AM
Are you trying to lose a few or gain a few? The post was not clear on that.

Do have have a fast metabolism?

Explain your goal.

Edutk
01-30-2002, 04:33 AM
I have a fairly slow metabolism although I do burn a lot of calories with my triathlon work. IF possible I would like to add a few pounds of quality muscle, but my main goal is to reduce my bodyfat percentage a few points. I'm currently at 9% (a lot of the highly competitive athletes in my field are 5-7%) and would like to get it down to about 6%. I have an few extra pounds of fat holding me back I believe. I really appreciate your help, it is hard to find resources on ketogenic diet and endurance athletes.

fitnessman
01-30-2002, 05:08 AM
6% is pretty darn low. You will run into some immune problems if you stay that low for a long period. I know some people who compete in these type things, but most of them use illegal stuff to cut down, which is a big mistake.

I would go no lower than 12 calories per pound of bodyweight in your shoes. Lose no more than 1-1.5 pound per week of bodyfat. The scale may not be a good indicator due to the fact you may gain some lean(very dense) mass on the diet.

You are looking at 1980 calories. 165g protien= 660 calories. 50g carbs(not counting post shakes)=200. 124g fat=1116 cals.

If recovery is slow bump up protien.

If energy is low bump up fat.

These are pretty good estimates...You may need to adjust to suit your metabolism.

Without the fat, the diet will not work.

stroudpr
01-30-2002, 05:51 AM
fitnessman, i have always heard that you need 1.5 to 1 ratio of fat to protein on keto,

why have you given the suggestion of this ratio?

fitnessman
01-30-2002, 06:32 AM
This fella is a tri-athelet. I feel this is a good starting point.

My formula is simple. Take your min. protien intake and max dietary carb and total them up. The balance of the calories are made up with fat calories.

10 calories for cutting in most. I think he needs 12 for the activity level.

So if you get to hung up on ratio's you will find that you just cannot apply it to everyone.

This works for 90% of people I train.

Keep in mind I always state the ratio's may need to be adjusted to suit the individual.

Edutk
01-30-2002, 07:28 AM
Thanks fitnessman, you've been more than helpful. I understand 6% is hard to maintain, but if I can cut to 6% for competition and still have high energy levels I will be happy. This is my 4th day on the keto diet. I've been cycling in the mornings and I'm pretty sluggish and my endurance is down from what it normally is. I'm eating a lot of fat also. Should my energy levels boost up once my body gets used to the diet?

fitnessman
01-30-2002, 07:34 AM
Your metabolism should shift any second now. If energy levels do not improve, we will need to make adjustments.

You will know because you will kind of be bouncing off the walls for a few days. I see this in most cases but not all.

Make sure you get the post workout shake!

Edutk
01-30-2002, 03:45 PM
Fitnessman,
I went for a short 4 mile run this afternoon and was totally exhausted, I could barely finish. This is usually VERY easy for me. Maybe you can look at my schedule today and see what the deal is.

6:30 Cycling first thing in the morning
7:00 Ate a hotdog (this may be my problem) not enough protein after cycling maybe???
10:00 Ate sunflower seeds 200 calories worth
12:20 Lunch I ate A LOT around 1200 calories of red meat
1:00 - 3:00 nap
3:30 went for a run and I was spent after a couple of miles!!!!
5:00 Ate 12oz of pork steak
etc. etc.

fitnessman
01-31-2002, 03:56 AM
Did you have 10G glutamine before running?

Post workout should be liquid.

1200 cals at one meal is too much.

The thing about a keto is you need to have veggies in there also. Low Gi type....Spinach, califlower and so on. Have large salads also.

So like the pork steak is good but add a veg. Balance the meals a little better.

Edutk
02-01-2002, 05:30 AM
Cool, thanks for all the help fitnessman. You're a generous person.