PDA

View Full Version : Going for a clean bulk

Bspa
03-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forums but I've been educating myself via BBing for about a year now. I've also been working out for about 1 year.

I weigh 217, a lot of it is fat but I'm content with working towards a healthier mealplan while I continue to aim for muscle growth. I unknowingly did a terribly dirty bulk and went from 135 to 220 in 2 years, but thankfully it didn't turn out as badly as it could have and I started hitting the gym before I got any worse. My question involves diet. I workout 5 days a week generally, currently with back/bicep, lower body, chest/triceps splits and 15-20 minute HIIT training at the beginning and end of each workout. I found a diet on here I liked and I've been trying it, but it may be too much for me, since the poster (Hola Bola) is about 40 pounds heavier than me and has significantly more muscle than I do.

Here is the post:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=7001168&postcount=6

I followed that exactly and I don't have too much trouble eating that much, but I was wondering what I might need to change about that mealplan to fit my own needs. I definitely want a fruit or vegetable in there, just for health reasons, and I'm sure the protein is too high for me. The carbs might be as well, not sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post, I was trying to give as much background info as possible.

Thanks everyone!

Bspa
03-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry to bump, any feedback would be welcome.

Bspa
03-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Bump.

hooked4life
03-14-2009, 11:30 PM
i think you're over complicating it. get 1 gram protein per pound and eat carbs/fat in sufficient numbers until you gain ~1lb a week.

you will have to find out what the 'magic' number is an adjust accordingly as you gain weight/get used to it. just keep things move at a slow and steady pace.

determined4000
03-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I would ef add a lot more fruit and veggies
Getting rid of the wiegt gainer shake which gen. have sat. fat and added sugar
If you need to densen things up make your own shakes with whey, fresh fruit, PB, eggs, oats, etc

Vagitarian
03-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Two quicks things.

Get rid of the weight gainer shakes. I did it for a while and it worked, but after I switched to just eating cleanly and more (to replace the shakes) I became leaner and made gains at a quicker rate.

Secondly, the flax oil that you're taking is worthless. The funny thing about flax seeds/oil is that the healthy component in it that you're taking it for breaks down at room temperature. So if the company made it didn't cold press it, cold store it, and cold ship it, and if the grocery store didn't cold store it too then it's just a bottle of oil. You're best off buying the flax seeds (not preground) from the store and grinding them yourself in a coffee grinder, and putting it in milk/yogurt. That way you save money and you actually get something healthy from it....Oh and when you get the seeds from the store, make sure you put them in your fridge.

NDame616
03-15-2009, 05:52 AM
You're 217 and you're trying to bulk? To what, 230? I haven't seen any pics, so I have no clue about your body composition, but you may want to cut, depending on your bf%

Bspa
03-15-2009, 08:48 AM
For the flax seed oil I should've specified that I swapped out fish oil tablets, since I had read the same thing. It's good to hear a confirmation on that though, will the fish oil tabs be more beneficial in terms of omega 3 intake?

As for my goals, I'm going for a progressive loss of fat with a clean gain (losing fat over time while consistantly building up). I'm not sure how feasible that is, input on that is great too, but up until about 2 years ago I've had an extremely hard time gaining weight, so I want to maintain or gain while eating clean to prevent gains via fat.

The weight gainer shakes are going to hurt more than help? If so, what would be an ideal meal-replacing equivalent?

Thanks again guys, big help so far!

VTRunner
03-15-2009, 10:47 AM
You definitely should add some fruits and vegetables. And dont rely so much on the weight gain shake. Drop it down to a half serving a day and add some real food instead.

Bspa
03-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Keep the info coming everybody. I'm trying to get quite a few opinions then I'll be able to reasonably alter my meals accordingly.

So far the definitives are:
1. Add veggies/fruit (need to know where to place them if possible).
2. Try to cut the gainer shakes.

I'm not educated on weight gain shakes but here is the current one I'm using, it doesn't look like it would be an exceptionally bad choice as a meal replacement. Granted I'm looking at the fat content and such.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/real.html