View Full Version : Banks steered blacks to bad loans, NAACP says

Pay_Me
03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29678907/

Banks steered blacks to bad loans, NAACP says
Class-action lawsuits target subprime lenders Wells Fargo, HSBC
Most popular

updated 1 hour, 46 minutes ago
The NAACP is accusing Wells Fargo and HSBC of forcing blacks into subprime mortgages while whites with identical qualifications got lower rates.

Class-action lawsuits were to be filed against the banks Friday in federal court in Los Angeles, Austin Tighe, co-lead counsel for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, told The Associated Press.

Black homebuyers have been 3 1/2 times more likely to receive a subprime loan than white borrowers, and six times more likely to get a subprime rate when refinancing, Tighe said. Blacks still were disproportionately steered into subprime loans when their credit scores, income and down payment were equal to those of white homebuyers, he said.

Melissa Murray, vice president of corporate communications for Wells Fargo & Co., called the lawsuit "totally unfounded and reckless." The bank is receiving federal bailout funds.

"We have never tolerated, and will never tolerate, discrimination in any way, shape or form in any of our business practices, products, or services," Murray said.

HSBC said it does not comment on litigation. "HSBC stands by its fair lending and consumer protection practices, and we are confident that we are treating our customers fairly and with integrity," said Neil Brazil, vice president for public affairs.

An NAACP member, Amara Weaver of Milwaukee, said she was one of the victims of predatory lending. She bought her first home in 1984, receiving a 6.25 percent fixed-rate mortgage. She says she had a steady job as a human resources director for a social services agency, never missed a mortgage payment and maintained excellent credit.

In 2004, she wanted to buy the house next door for her son to live in. She said the bank promised her a low fixed rate for a $40,000 loan, but at the closing, when reading the fine print, she noticed that the rate was actually 11 percent.

"I was blown away," said Weaver, an NAACP member. "I didn't have any choice (but to sign). ... It made me feel violated."

Similar NAACP lawsuits are pending against a dozen other subprime lenders.

"This is systematic, institutionalized racism," Tighe said. "Once you take out factors relative to income and credit risk, the only difference between the borrowers is the color of their skin."

Tighe estimated that "tens of thousands" of blacks had been forced into bad loans, but said it was difficult to gauge the scope of the problem because banks keep much of their internal data private. The lawsuits could force banks to divulge closely guarded information, such as how banks can determine the race of a loan applicant and how federal bailout funds are being spent.

The NAACP is seeking reforms from the banks such as increased transparency in the loan process, educational outreach and internal training.

My question is, didn't subprime lenders try to do this to everyone?

Morbid_Mind
03-13-2009, 12:14 PM
They say that blacks were "forced" into signing loans. But I don't see any evidence of how they were forced. Did the bankers put a gun to their head? Did they say they had to sign the loan or they would be prosecuted?

It seems they're making an argument without any evidence to support it.

Though, I am left with one question. Why does the NAACP think blacks are so stupid that they could be easily duped into liar-loans and were not able to figure out that due to their current income they could never afford the house?

JUSA
03-13-2009, 12:17 PM
If the banks had not given the blacks loans, the NAACP would then be crying that they were racist. It's a lose/lose with those clowns. **** them, they're always going to complain no matter what - so why even bother to listen to those pissants?

tts0lid
03-13-2009, 12:18 PM

yeah it's stupid.. not a black/white issue at all....

MyLastSerenade
03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
That was the purpose of these subprime loans, it is so minorities can get houses. It was a version of affirmitive action.

jackamo2887
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Of course they did.

God forbid a black person takes responsibility for their own actions. It would be racist to assume this.

srsly though this is just the NAACP trying to get more attention.

dave.mc
03-13-2009, 12:31 PM
The banks forced everyone into bad loans lol

gjohnson5
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM

Yes , loan originators did try to push hybrid ARM with "teaser" introductory interest rates on everyone because the originators were given bonuses for selling those type loans.

If the person had late payments etc on their credit but still qualified for a home loan, then those folks could get a home loan at a higher interest rate ie "subprime" IMHO the "low doc" and "no doc" loan was the dumbest idea ever. Many originators were not even checking credit

Enso
03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
First PETA jumped off the cliff with the sea kittens, and now the NAACP is following their lead.

Leadership like this will be their undoing hopefully. The head here in NC is one of the biggest morons there is from what I've seen of/heard from him.

It's a shame an organization that could do allot of good has gone down the path it has.

YUL
03-13-2009, 12:42 PM
they're always going to complain no matter what - so why even bother to listen to those pissants?

because

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_discrimination

and that some banks/financial institutions paid a fine for it

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/speeches/jl_fha_testimony.pdf

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9905E4DE1539F93BA35756C0A9609582 60&n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FSubjects%2FF% 2FFines%20(Penalties)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W45-4K23YF9-8&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=8b13ee4413221333d2a9a4701768c659

so their complaints weren't valid?

YUL
03-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Of course they did.

God forbid a black person takes responsibility for their own actions. It would be racist to assume this.

so Jack and Jill have a credit score of 700 and get an interest rate of 6.5% on a loan

Terrel and Lakisha have a credit score of 700 and get an interest rate of 7.5% on a loan

sea what I did there?

Enso
03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
so their complaints weren't valid?

As long as the credit rating and income ratio's were similar....yes.

WilyCoder
03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
The NAACP cannot exist unless racism exists.

Therefore everything is racism to them.

White people took bad loans too.

BJplayer
03-13-2009, 12:56 PM

This^^^Do we need to recall all the scams that they have run? That Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton continue to run? Jena? Duke Lacrosse team? Tawana Brawley? NAACP has no credibility anymore.

Viking22
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm surprised it took so long to turn this into another case of the man keepin the brotha down

TE
03-13-2009, 01:04 PM
so Jack and Jill have a credit score of 700 and get an interest rate of 6.5% on a loan

Terrel and Lakisha have a credit score of 700 and get an interest rate of 7.5% on a loan

sea what I did there?

Terrel & Lakisha should've shopped around/been better informed. Buying a house is a serious investment. It shouldn't be done without researching your options.

When people shop for car insurance they normally call more than one company. This is no different.

And how many of the loan officers who sold these people loans were black?

Stupid stupid stupid.

Irezumi
03-13-2009, 01:15 PM
The banks forced everyone into bad loans lol

Actually, no they didn't. Banks didn't force anyone to take out loans. I used to underwrite for a subprime bank and you should see some of the bogus **** the brokers would send us. Fake pay stubs, fake tax returns, doctored documents, etc. Half the time we had no idea whether or not the actual borrowers knew what they were getting into. The brokers would put them into some BS program just because we were offering them (not he borrower who actually pays the loan) a good rebate. But yeah, I take what the NAACP says with a grain of salt. This doesn't surprise me at all. Of course they're going to turn people's irresponsibility into a race issue. Its always a race issue with the NAACP.

MrGuitar
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM

The NAACP is racist by definition.

2.0Tsunami
03-13-2009, 01:46 PM

sea what I did there?

Credit score is only one variable out of MANY that are considered to determine interest rates.

gjohnson5
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM

sea what I did there?

It's interesting the amount of press these forums give the CRA about putting pressure on banks to give loans... But noone seems to give any credit for the reason the CRA was created and then Amended by Bill Clinton in the first place... Yes housing discrimination exists. It existed before the CRA and existed after it's creation

jackamo2887
03-13-2009, 02:25 PM

sea what I did there?

So Jack has a GPA of 3.8 and a 1500 SAT score.

Tyrone has a 2.8 GPA and a 900 SAT score.

Tyrone gets accepted to a college over Jack thanks to Affirmative Action.

Sea what I did there? Why no outrage over this?

JuanDenver
03-13-2009, 02:28 PM
They were forced to offer them bad loans because of the naacp!

YUL
03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Credit score is only one variable out of MANY that are considered to determine interest rates.

just saying that everything being equal, there were some instances of discriminatory lending practices and those who did should be fined for it when its proven in court

YUL
03-13-2009, 02:32 PM

because society (people like you and me) actually derive a benefit by having more educated Tyrones walking around.

it might be tough to focus on the larger issues when you're focusing your anger on a generally accepted principle in the real world

gjohnson5
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Actaully we kinda agree on this point
If Jack and Tyrone both applied @ Morehouse College. Jack would get accepted AND get a scholarship which were supposedly intended for a minority person.

Yes Affirmative Action at work

affy
03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
first it was redlining

now its reverse redlining

lol

KRANE
03-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Though, I am left with one question. Why does the NAACP think blacks are so stupid that they could be easily duped into liar-loans and were not able to figure out that due to their current income they could never afford the house?People are stupid...especially when you dangle some enticement in front of them. Blacks are no exception.

Skettch
03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
The NAACP(and associated groups) was the organization which forced banks to give bad loans to these blacks.

jackamo2887
03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
If Jack and Tyrone both applied @ Morehouse College. Jack would get accepted AND get a scholarship which were supposedly intended for a minority person.

As Jack should..he worked harder for it.

But that isn't the America we live in.

gjohnson5
03-13-2009, 02:47 PM

OOh Damn Affirmative Action is killing America!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/16/white.valedictorian/index.html

YUL
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
As Jack should..he worked harder for it.

But that isn't the America we live in.

I think you might be purposefully forgetting that Jack probably had access to more/better educational opportunities in his environment than Tyrone. The other side of coin doesn't seem too clear cut when you have the interest to look into it.

But I guess that's Tyrone's parents fault and you couldn't care less.

jackamo2887
03-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I think you might be purposefully forgetting that Jack probably had access to more/better educational opportunities in his environment than Tyrone. The other side of coin doesn't seem too clear cut when you have the interest to look into it.

But I guess that's Tyrone's parents fault and you couldn't care less.

That's a pretty stereotypical and ignorant thing to say. If Jack and Tyrone went to the same school and had the same economic situation, Tyrone would still be given the benefits.

"The term affirmative action refers to policies that take gender, race, or ethnicity into account in an attempt to promote equal opportunity. "

So even if Tyrone had millionaire parents and Jack lived in a poor inner-city environment, Tyrone would STILL get the benefit..ouch..doesnt sound very equal to me.

But I guess you still think blacks are so oppressed that they cannot do anything for themselves and need advantages.

SB_Stong
03-13-2009, 04:21 PM
first it was redlining

now its reverse redlining

lol

This.

KRANE
03-13-2009, 04:45 PM
But I guess you still think blacks are so oppressed that they cannot do anything for themselves and need advantages.Blacks have always demonstrated the ability to do things for themselves--even during the worst times of slavery.

However, it was not self-sufficiency that hindered their advancement, rather, the artificial road blocks that have been so prevalent in this country since it's inception.

If you consider removing those road block "advantages" then sobeit!

texlonghornz2
03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
That was the purpose of these subprime loans, it is so minorities can get houses. It was a version of affirmitive action.

Actually it was not at all affirmative action it was "Every American deserves a home" so we provide bad loans to poor people. Nothing to do with race.

2. Il rep anyone who can actually tell me how these subprime loans actually influenced the securities market?

ok so im impatient
Mortgages were packaged together and sold as securities. The securities were then packaged together with some sub-prime loans thrown in as CDO's (collatorized debt obligation)

these were then backed by a rating agency (moodys S&P) as a valuable investment

AAA
Aaa
or Baa
or BAA

anyways and then sold.
Then people had problems paying mortgage on the subprime loans and then the mortgage backed securities went up in flames in the CDO's due to the bad loans

this is a two sided problem. 1 Bankers thought house prices were going to forever increase (since the 80's they had)...
2. People lied on their applications
(poor people said they made up to 5x what they actually did)

Bad poor people Bad banks
NOW..
Why blame banks??

CLASS WARFARE...everyone hates rich people BLAH BLAH BLAH....if your jealous then go to school or work hard and make money not that difficult

dcpapi
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
They should sue Banny Frank and Maxine Walters...those 2 idiots forced banks to give bad loans...Fannie Mae and CountryWide

skinny buckeye
03-13-2009, 07:39 PM
can you believe these racist lenders tried to give these poor victims home loans? just sickening i tell you.

Morbid_Mind
03-13-2009, 08:19 PM
However, it was not self-sufficiency that hindered their advancement, rather, the artificial road blocks that have been so prevalent in this country since it's inception.

Those "road blocks," you call them, was government. The policy you're advocating to try and remove these "road blocks" is more government.

Affirmative action hasn't removed those "road blocks," they've just moved them on to someone else.

jackamo2887
03-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Blacks have always demonstrated the ability to do things for themselves--even during the worst times of slavery.

I know, blacks face so many road blocks in this country..like how a black person is now president!

...Rousseau...
03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Why isn't the NAACP abolished yet?

sharkeh
03-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Lol...

I'm sitting in Atlanta Hartsfield and just saw this on CNN.

I'm sure its been said already bit the reality is minorities make up a bigger percent of those in poverty than whites... so of course there is going to be a good amount with subprime mortgages.

The commentator on CNN was saying some **** like "we need to change people's attitudes"... LOL

KRANE
03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I know, blacks face so many road blocks in this country..like how a black person is now president!And now that a half black man is the nation's president all is right for blacks? You should be ashamed for even suggesting such foolishness.
Affirmative action hasn't removed those "road blocks," they've just moved them on to someone else.You're preaching to the choir

jackamo2887
03-14-2009, 04:11 PM
And now that a half black man is the nation's president all is right for blacks? You should be ashamed for even suggesting such foolishness.

It sure does put a big dent in the "black people are oppressed and need a leg up!" arguement. Stop making excuses and take some responsibility.

Affirmative Action is as racist as the NAACP..they need to be abolished if we want to destroy racism in this country.

KRANE
03-14-2009, 04:21 PM
It sure does put a big dent in the "black people are oppressed and need a leg up!" arguement. Stop making excuses and take some responsibility.

Affirmative Action is as racist as the NAACP..they need to be abolished if we want to destroy racism in this country.As much as I'd like to spend time educating you on this topic, I already realize you know little of what you speak.

Come back in fifteen or twenty years when you've at least lived long enough to have an opinion based on actual experiance, and not a practiced speech gleaned from some racist manifesto you've be brainwashed to adopt.

This discussion is concluded.

Morbid_Mind
03-14-2009, 04:21 PM
And now that a half black man is the nation's president all is right for blacks? You should be ashamed for even suggesting such foolishness.You're preaching to the choir

From your post it made it seem like you're in favor of A.A.

Now, I don't think anyone's ethnicity should be taken into question when hiring or applying for school. But that's exactly what A.A. does; it's racism plain and simple. Not only does it put a hinderance on people of other races, but it gives the perception that blacks cannot acquire a job or get accepted to school of their own volition so they need help, government help, to do so.

jackamo2887
03-14-2009, 04:41 PM
As much as I'd like to spend time educating you on this topic, I already realize you know little of what you speak.

Come back in fifteen or twenty years when you've at least lived long enough to have an opinion based on actual experiance, and not a practiced speech gleaned from some racist manifesto you've be brainwashed to adopt.

This discussion is concluded.

Stop holding your people back, move forward with society.

KRANE
03-14-2009, 05:10 PM
From your post it made it seem like you're in favor of A.A.

Now, I don't think anyone's ethnicity should be taken into question when hiring or applying for school. But that's exactly what A.A. does; it's racism plain and simple. Not only does it put a hinderance on people of other races, but it gives the perception that blacks cannot acquire a job or get accepted to school of their own volition so they need help, government help, to do so.Last month I started a thread (which was quickly locked) that asked peopled if they learned anything during Black History month. It's obvious from your post that there's still much that the rank and files does not know.

For your information, blacks have always worked just as hard as anyone else in this country; they've perservered and succeeded even during the worst periods of slavery. However, despite the great accomplishments that have been made inspite of slavery, many, many more were destroyed due to it.

What you see today in many communities, is the results of a desperate people, culminated by centuries of government, institutional, financial, social and personal hardships that were put in place solely to hinder progress, and make their lives more difficult.

I can't even imagine how far black would have come if these artificial impediments had not been in place, and blacks would have been allowed to compete equally.

If you think that black cannot succeed on their own, then you don't know anything about accomplishment and contributions that black have made in this country over the years.

However, that is not to say that blacks can do more on their own. But this is not a discussion of blacks ability to succeed, rather, one of present and historic barriers that have been put in place to restrict that success.

If you refuse to acknowledge those things, then you turn a blind eye to all that has transpired in this country, and proceed under the pretense that we all are equal and that the problem is solely that of the individual, and no blame should go to the institution.

BJplayer
03-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Krane is out of the Jesse Jackson/al Sharpton mode. Whitey is keeping the black man down and blacks have no personal responsibility for their success or failure. His attitude is prevelant in the black community and is one of the key barriers to their lack of success on a large scale, Not whitey and his barriers. On an individual level, blacks are just as capable as anyone else. But on a collective level, they fail in much larger numbers. See any large metropolitan areas in the USA, or blacks the world over. And speaking of which, African Americans are fortunate to be here rather than stuck in the ****hole of Mama Africa. Krane and modern day blacks should be grateful for the sacrifices their ancestors made, but they would rather hang on to hate and bitterness, and blame others for their lack of success.

Morbid_Mind
03-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Last month I started a thread (which was quickly locked) that asked peopled if they learned anything during Black History month. It's obvious from your post that there's still much that the rank and files does not know.

For your information, blacks have always worked just as hard as anyone else in this country; they've perservered and succeeded even during the worst periods of slavery. However, despite the great accomplishments that have been made inspite of slavery, many, many more were destroyed due to it.

What you see today in many communities, is the results of a desperate people, culminated by centuries of government, institutional, financial, social and personal hardships that were put in place solely to hinder progress, and make their lives more difficult.

I can't even imagine how far black would have come if these artificial impediments had not been in place, and blacks would have been allowed to compete equally.

If you think that black cannot succeed on their own, then you don't know anything about accomplishment and contributions that black have made in this country over the years.

However, that is not to say that blacks can do more on their own. But this is not a discussion of blacks ability to succeed, rather, one of present and historic barriers that have been put in place to restrict that success.

If you refuse to acknowledge those things, then you turn a blind eye to all that has transpired in this country, and proceed under the pretense that we all are equal and that the problem is solely that of the individual, and no blame should go to the institution.

What the **** are you talking about? When did I make any disparaging statements towards blacks? I think you need to re-read my post and not be so quick to accuse everyone with "racism."

KRANE
03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Krane is out of the Jesse Jackson/al Sharpton mode. Whitey is keeping the black man down and blacks have no personal responsibility for their success or failure. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, you probably know more about both of these individuals than I do.
His attitude is prevelant in the black community and is one of the key barriers to their lack of success on a large scale, Not whitey and his barriers. On an individual level, blacks are just as capable as anyone else. But on a collective level, they fail in much larger numbers. See any large metropolitan areas in the USA, or blacks the world over.Hmm, looks like you learned something, but I'm not sure you understand what you just said?
And speaking of which, African Americans are fortunate to be here rather than stuck in the ****hole of Mama Africa.Considering the amount of europeans that have sacrificed life and limb to get here, I'd say we're in good company!
Krane and modern day blacks should be grateful for the sacrifices their ancestors madeI am! As you too should be.
but they would rather hang on to hate and bitterness, and blame others for their lack of success.The structural integrity of this country isn't threatened by hatred an bitterness from blacks; we just want the same things you do.
What the **** are you talking about? When did I make any disparaging statements towards blacks? I think you need to re-read my post and not be so quick to accuse everyone with "racism."Okay, I reread it, and my view is still unchanged. Perhaps you need to reread your own post or at least be more careful in making what you write, say what you mean.

BTW, I didn't say you said anything disparaging about blacks.

Morbid_Mind
03-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Perhaps you need to reread your own post or at least be more careful in making what you write, say what you mean.

My post came across fine. You just have a one track mind in which anyone who mentions blacks must be doing so in a negative manner.

Shame on me for not wanting blacks to be subjegated and treated as less than equal. I'm a horrible person.

ColtsForTheWin
03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
How come Asians who immigrate in this country, live in the projects, can't speak english half as well as the blacks, leapfrog their generation through hard work and get to college as a collective group? Why don't Asians get AA too? Opium, railroads, slums of China town, discrimination, etc. etc. and STILL no AA...

thequant
03-14-2009, 09:58 PM
On an individual level, blacks are just as capable as anyone else.

Do you have scientific proof of this?

Anyone, even Krane, should post this if they have it since it's central to the discussion. For example, it could be that blacks are already earning more than they should purely on an effort and potential consideration.

ZexCui
03-14-2009, 10:06 PM
How come Asians who immigrate in this country, live in the projects, can't speak english half as well as the blacks, leapfrog their generation through hard work and get to college as a collective group? Why don't Asians get AA too? Opium, railroads, slums of China town, discrimination, etc. etc. and STILL no AA...

because they are, on average, more capable, and they tend to work hard.

they don't need it, and might even consider it an insult.

gjohnson5
03-14-2009, 11:40 PM

because they are, on average, more capable, and they tend to work hard.

they don't need it, and might even consider it an insult.

Nice blanket generalizations and stereotypes....

leafs43
03-15-2009, 12:09 AM
The NAACP is like all things good. They start out with a noble cause and yet end up turning into the very thing they were fighting against.

ZexCui
03-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Nice blanket generalizations and stereotypes....

notice how i said "tend to" and "on average", which means you don't know how to read or don't know the definition of a generalization or a stereotype.

go back and re-read my post. do you disagree with my statement? if so, why?

atleast then you can say you tried to make a useful post.

gjohnson5
03-15-2009, 07:12 AM
notice how i said "tend to" and "on average", which means you don't know how to read or don't know the definition of a generalization or a stereotype.

go back and re-read my post. do you disagree with my statement? if so, why?

atleast then you can say you tried to make a useful post.

"on average"...
LOL
You'e "conclusion" would have to be based on knowledge of things such as
1. the average salary of blacks vs asain immigrants
2. standardized test scores of asains and blacks
3. Year of high education on average of asians and blacks
4. Businesses owned asains vs blacks

And I'm saying you don't know ****. Atleast research the subject first. Your statement is based on stereotypes and nothing more

nutsy54
03-15-2009, 07:14 AM
10:07AM
NAACP
another pawn in the divide and conquer maximJust here to help Omni, so he doesn't have to keep re-typing every time his posts are "mysteriously" deleted. :)

KRANE
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
My post came across fine. You just have a one track mind in which anyone who mentions blacks must be doing so in a negative manner.Wrong! If you read my post objectively, you'll find they in fact they offer nothing more than a counter points-of-view, and clarity where ambiguity previously existed.

Shame on me for not wanting blacks to be subjegated and treated as less than equal. I'm a horrible person.Well, I wouldn't go that far. But you do have much to learn about the history of African Americans.
How come Asians who immigrate in this country, live in the projects, can't speak english half as well as the blacks, leapfrog their generation through hard work and get to college as a collective group? Why don't Asians get AA too? Opium, railroads, slums of China town, discrimination, etc. etc. and STILL no AA...Duh! Asian weren't slaves! That's the short and simple answer. For the rest, you need to study a lot more American history; I'm not going to do your work for you.