PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is Fitday.com ? Any success ?

man0war
03-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm asking if fitday is generally accurate with it's activities and food values.
Who has been using it reliably for a long time ?

Ok so I'm asking since : I made an account. I input my current weight [275ish] and height [6'5"].
I'm still a lot overweight but for the last year I've gotten serious into training and getting in shape, eating right included. I put down a general daily meal plan I usually try to keep and enjoy. I'm not solely trying to lose weight, I just train hard and eat as good as possible and have both lost weight [about 40 pounds] and added some muscle in a 2 month period last summer [newb gains indeed; am still losing more fat than usual when I keep to a decent diet since I'm still a lot overweight.] Because I haven't been able to keep a strict diet and go to the gym that often since last summer I haven't done any more serious progress, just maintained my weight (or more precisely lost another 4-5 pounds) and waiting for some things to sort out in my life.
So this diet on fitday looks roughly around 2400 cals, 70g fat, 215 carbs, 220 protein, which is a 39% protein, 35% carb, 26% fat split, but supplements are not included so I get another 50 to 80 grams of protein from that.
I input my daily activities [the cardio, weight lifting, some easy biking I have to do] and tuned them all down in time and intensity so as not to get enthusiasticaly high calorie burning on the chart.

So with all this input, I get an approximate 4750 calories burned [activities included] for my current weight and about 4350 if I were to be 55 pounds lighter. It seems kind of high to me. I know I've lost 40 pounds in two months last year for being so overweight, so I'm not saying it's completely unreal, but I'd still like to know if it's accurate for most people. Since if I have a roughly 2750 calorie daily diet [suppl. included], it's still an interesting 2000 calories burned over my diet :D

Anyone that's been using fitday faithfuly and it Has been helping, lemme know and I can chill and never post another dumbass wall of text like this again. :D

By the way - did a search on threads about the fitday thing ; I really didn't find anything specifically about it so it might not only be me that's curious about it since many people seem to use fitday.

Thanks in advance, cheers !

Ladyblue14424
03-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I been using it for a week or so now...I think its great and if I can ever refind the thread I first saw info on, I would love to thank the guy who gave me the tip on it..

its helping me keep my focus

FatratUK
03-07-2009, 06:18 PM
My girlfriend has been using it for about a year now and has lost around 45-50lbs in that timeframe.

It looked like a lot of work to me, but i just got back into lifting and diet a couple of days ago and to be honest... i never bothered with diet before and it seemed like a HELL of a lot of work to keep this thing updated.

But i have to say, after an hour or so of using it i knew how to use any of the functions, it's awesome for keeping track of your calorie (and macro) intake, daily or over longer periods. Whatever you want really.

I'm using the program though, not the website... the website seems basically the same to me, except quite handy in the fact that you save your data online, whereas with the program it only saves to the computer you're on at the time. Still, i only care about updating my stuff once i get home, so i prefer the program.

The website is free, the program is not.

Anyway, i can't say much myself since i've only used it a few days... but i'm for sure gonna keep on using it. The only success story i can give really is my girlfriend's... since lost 50lbs while using it to help with her diet logging.

djchrono
03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I've been using Fitday (program version) for about 3 or 4 months now.

I find that the calories burned is not very accurate. I say this because in a normal day with weights and cardio, it says I burn about 3,600 cals. But, keeping track of my diet, I have found to maintain my weight I have to eat only 2,700 cals a day. I will gain weight guaranteed if I eat the 3,600 cals it says I burn. That's a 900 cal difference from what should be my maintanence according to the program, and what I have actually found to be accurate.

So in the end, I kind of disregard what the program tells me in terms of calories burned. I do find it extremely useful to track my diet, calories consumed, activity, and weight. Just with this information it's easy enough to look at the data and come to your own conclusions about how much you need to eat in order to gain, loose and maintain. I just wouldn't rely on the calories burned portion.

flywheel99
03-07-2009, 07:35 PM
So in the end, I kind of disregard what the program tells me in terms of calories burned. I do find it extremely useful to track my diet, calories consumed, activity, and weight. Just with this information it's easy enough to look at the data and come to your own conclusions about how much you need to eat in order to gain, loose and maintain. I just wouldn't rely on the calories burned portion.

Exactly how I view it.

I have used fitday.com and thedailyplate.com - both free versions.

I like the search feature on TDP better than fitday. For example, if I type in a certain type of apple or ground venison - the results from TDP seemed a lot better.

Anyway, I use TDP for tracking everything that I was consume. I don't use it for the calories that I might be burning during my workouts. I can strap on my Suunto heart rate monitor to do that - which I use frequently.

Also, I add in my whey protein drinks to my daily totals. There are approx 110-130 calories per serving I believe. If you use milk or a juice you're getting even more calories that you're not logging into your daily totals.

TDP let's you tag your meals with a time, the free version of fitday does not - the last time I checked. So I can look back at my logs and see exactly when I was eating. I like that feature.

All in all, a great way to examine what you're truly consuming daily - instead of guessing what you're consuming. It can be a real eye opener.

thebasil
03-07-2009, 09:41 PM
fitday.com is awesome and i highly recommend it.

in a sport where nutrition is so important and you go through phases of controlled overeating and controlled undereating, you need to keep track of intake

standricks
03-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I agree with flywheel99. thedailyplate.com seems a little better than fitday by comparison. The search feature finds everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I eat.

man0war
03-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Alright dudes, thanks for the feedback :D

I also was slightly unsure about calories burned, as I said I even tuned down all the daily activities I wrote down there and still it gave me staggering numbers. I know I've built muscle on a weight loss diet because of being horribly out of shape, but even so it seemed a lot.

Cheers and I'll check out TDP as well out of curiosity , though I pretty much find most of what I need on fitday as well.

And btw - congrats to your GF Fatrat :D That's quite some work put in there.

the3dwizard
03-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the tip on thedailyplate.com. I couldn't believe the stuff I found in it's database, whey proteins of various brands, etc. Nice not to have to add it.

librasean
03-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for bringing thedailyplate.com to my attention! been using http://caloriecount.about.com/ which I thought was the best out there-how little I knew lol.