PDA

View Full Version : interval cardio, need a few tips

the_machine2007
02-26-2009, 12:56 PM
sup everyone
i started interval cardio and so far its going pritty good i think, i use the oliptical and i first start out at a jog gets my heart rate to about ~130 i do that for 15min for low intensity.

then ill increase the resistance and do a flat out full speed burn for 60sec, then ill drop the resist back to normal jog and do that for 60sec. i do that a total of 5 times, so 10min all together, my heart rate is ~180 during that.

after that i finish it with another 15min jog and my heart rate drops down to ~150, i really like this kind of cadio, from what i researched its one of the best fat loss cadio routines to do. so anyone got any tips of helpfull ideas, let me know.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_with_interval_cardio.htm
the whole sprinter body? or marathon runner body? thing makes alot of sense.

Eileen
02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
then ill increase the resistance and do a flat out full speed burn for 60sec, then ill drop the resist back to normal jog and do that for 60sec. i do that a total of 5 times, so 10min all together, my heart rate is ~180 during that.

after that i finish it with another 15min jog and my heart rate drops down to ~150, i really like this kind of cadio, from what i researched its one of the best fat loss cadio routines to do. so anyone got any tips of helpfull ideas, let me know.

Sounds good to me. How are you finding it? Glad you are doing flat out sprints, so many people just speed up a bit and think that's HIIT.

toiletmoose
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Cardio Fan here. But still, cardio wasn't the miracle pill that worked in helping me lose fat. But it did improve my fitness like crazy. You are doing great with HIIT. Yes i do believe that better gains (moreso in terms of fitness) will come from HIIT. Do not forget to increase the number of intervals though as you progress.

I used to do HIIT almost every day at 5 times per week and the result is that my legs became overtrained. Now i would only do about 2 days of HIIT per week. But each session would be much higher intensity. My preference is towards about 15-20 cycles of 15 sec work, 45 sec rest intervals. And yes it is intense! Gd luck with ur training.

the_machine2007
02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
cool thxs, right now im using hydroxycut hardcore, drinking plenty of water and im eating 3meals/day with snacks inbetween, i stick to mostly healthy foods/snacks, 'dessert' isnt in my vocabulary. its hard sticking to a good diet plan cause im in iraq and my choice of food is limited but its working good so far. this is what i got going

day one-
chest - flat bench, decline bench, incline (smith machine), cable flys.
i will usualy hit 8reps first, then increase weight 10lbs drop to 6reps, increase another 10 and 4reps. and then sometimes ill change it up and do high reps about 12-14reps for 3sets.

tri's - cable pushdowns, cable overhead push outs. same pyrimid work or high reps

shoulders- rear delts with cables, side raises(arm straight), then front raises(again straight) same high rep or pyrimid.

day two-
back - first ill do regular chin ups (pull ups with palms facing me), cable machine sitting w/ hand grp close together pulling to chest for good mid back/upper/lats/bi's work. lat pulldowns 3 sets with palm away from me wide grip, 3sets with palm toward me close grip. for lower back ill hit deadlifts or backcurls.

bi's - hit an isolation type exercise (preacher or similar), reverse grip curl (i like to use a W bar with cable machine for this cause i feel constant resistance), then regular grip Wbar cabled. usualy close grip.

traps - 1 arm cable shrug, or dumbell shrug (start and the sides then hold it move weight to front, relax repeat)

day three -
legs - squats, lunges, step ups.

abs - leg raises (legs stright, raising for better lower ab work), declined cable sit ups, then side twists with cable sitting on declined bench, ill also hit up obliques with the side curls ( same thing i use for back curls ) or ill have a weight to the side and just bend to that side and back up.

day four- off/rest

i fix in my cardio usually after the day 1 workout, then also after day two if not then, day four during day off.

thats what i been doing for about 1.5weeks now. i like the oliptical for my cardio cause its got low impact and puts less stress on the joints witch is a big factor weighing 225, im thinking i may switch it up a little heres an idea
out here in iraq we have a soccer 'field' ( no grass or anything just dirt and rocks ), thats about 50 yards and has a track around it, to mix it up ill use oliptical one cardio then bring it outside to the track for the next one just run around the track for the 15min or so then hit the 50 yards for sprints. when i do the 60sec sprint and 60sec walk its extreamly hard to stay at a full blow sprint for 60 sec. so should i adjust it to a lower time and add more sets that i do? so that i can keep up a decent sprint? and as i do it more it will get easier so then i can just increse as i get better.