PDA

View Full Version : fat loss

CTfl
01-29-2002, 12:05 AM
I've been working out for about 3 months now. I get about 1500 calories per day (sometimes less -- but I was told anything less than 1500 was not good so I try to get 1500) and take in around 200g protein per day. I take my vitamins, and an amino acids 1000mg supplement. My diet consists mainly of chicken, turkey, and vegetables. I work out 5 times a week and run 2 miles (about 8 mins. per mile) a day, 4 times a week. Muscle gains have pleased me for the most part (I've added 45lbs. to my bench in these 10-11 weeks) My calves have gotten pretty large and my vertical leap has increased by about 2-3" (basketball is my sport of choice) and it seems like I have unlimited energy these days. Anyway, that's all well and good, except it seems like I have lost hardly any fat with the exception of my arms and lower legs, which seem much more defined. I really don't care about actual body weight, only physique. I'm about 5'11, 200lbs. What am I doing wrong that the weight is not coming off quicker? Does it just take time, I'm simply aiming to be in "good" shape around June. I'd like to keep running and working out in my current routines and amounts. Are there any supplements (inexpensive ones only, college isn't cheap -- can't afford to spend $50 on a one week supply of supplements :)) recommended to accelerate the fat loss while not slowing down muscle gains? Any other advice is also appreciated.

Original Poster
01-29-2002, 04:21 AM
Try to get your cardio in first thing in the morning.
I would go to 5-6 meals a day. Your insulin levels will be more level throughout the day that way, which will aid in fat loss. You may want to check out a keto diet. Your diet now may be close to it but with a few small changes you could go ketonic and really excellerate your fat burn. I wouldn't shoot to lose more than 2-3 lbs a week, you will burn more muscle the faster you lose weight.

Good luck.

CTfl
01-29-2002, 09:53 AM
I will look into a keto diet, I've heard about it, just never really looked into it much. I thought it was one of those crash diets, but I guess not? As for for the meals, I try to space them out to around 5 per day. Two of them consist of 50g protein shakes (one in the afternoon, usually after my workout, and one in the evening.) Then there's usually a normal-sized dinner and two smaller meals spaced sometime throughout the day. As for the cardio, it is pretty difficult for me to get it done first thing in the morning because I'm usually heading off to class, then working out afterwards. I've actually been running at night (not the best time, I know) but I try to make sure I haven't eaten anything for a couple of hours before and that I have an empty stomach. Thanks for the info.

Original Poster
01-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Also, if you are shooting for that summer cut, you have plenty of time be patient but dedicated. You really don't have that far to go.

I would also keep protein up to a min of 1gram per lb of bodyweight. (sounds like you are probably doing that already) Shakes, tuna, chicken, leaner meats, unless you go keto then the fat is needed to make the diet work, but i personally prefer olive oil, and the better fats that saturated fats.
Fitnessman (master of keto) just loves his steak fat. (hehe)

CTfl
01-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Yea. Another thing I find pretty good is these Breyers Light yogurt cups. They have 0g of fat, about 100 calories, and 8g of protein. They only cost about 50 cents each too. Not bad, I think the sugars are a little high but it's okay for one of my 5 or 6 "meals". I don't eat fish (no particular reason, just don't like it :)) so tuna is out and I have red meats maybe 3 times a month at the most it seems. Right now I really only count protein and calories. How many grams of unsaturated fat should I be aiming for with my approximate 1500 calories / 200g of protein that I get right now?

terry
01-30-2002, 02:09 PM
hey i am havin a similar problem last march i started out slow and got more serious about 4 and a half months ago about bodybuilding i used to weigh 260 now i am down to 200 i took a 40 waist now i take a 34. My bodyfat is at 14.7 % and it seems to me like it is al in the belly area lol god it is hard to lose but i have been tryin hard and stickin to it so keep up the good work it takes a long time to get rid of it lol trust me i know. I have no patience when it comes to this but hey it is working lol take care have a great night

skipro101
01-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Terry, you seem to be about where I am

Last march I started body for life {bodyforlife******* and at that time weighed 240lbs and was 6'2

Now, I weigh in at 210lbs and I am 6'4

at one time I weighed 197 but then added 10lbs when trying to bulk up.

I have no way of measuring my bodyfat but I still have a fat gut.

I am so confused on what my diet and exercise should be. should I try and loose the fat first or should I try and equal the calories i take in with the calories i take out?

:{ so confusing

Ps-- I called the bodyforlife help line and they knew less about dieting than I did so I dont know whats up..

CTfl
01-30-2002, 07:46 PM
I'm about about the same weight that I was when I started 3 months ago. I know I've lost some fat but the weight has been offset by muscle. I'm thinking maybe I should up my cardio from 4 days a week to 7.

skipro101
01-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Well, just make sure that on the days you do anaerobic {weight lifting} workouts that you save your cardio for after your workout }and not right after to} , so like workout in the morning and then cardio after noon.

James5567
02-01-2002, 08:16 AM
skipro, i definitely feel you, its hard to get that last layer of fat on the stomach shredded,, i was unsuccessful last year when i dieted i wound up losing muscle instead..This year i will try the ketogenic diet where i will be eating low carb days 1-5 and carb up 10% above maintenance cal level on days 6-7.. i will do high intensity cardio the days following the carb load as well as heavy lifting every other day, and i will do light cardio towards the end of the week...The one big mistake i made last year was not paying enough attention to lifting and calories, try to find out what your maintenance calorie # is by making an eating journal and counting the cals see how many it takes to maintain your weight, then start by creating a 500 cal defiency dont go below 1000 cals or you will lose muscle like me, well lets get ripped so we can go to the beach and make everyone jealous

good luck

skipro101
02-01-2002, 06:22 PM
James,

Heh, I know what you mean man.

I didnt really follow you in the middle of that paragraph there. But, I figure since I went from 240 to 190 in 8months and then back up to 210 in 2 months {muscle gain} then I am doing something right, so I am not going to worry to much about what everyone on this board is telling me when I ask questions. I just get more confused {people have conflicting statements}. So im just ganna keep up what im doing and I will be lean in no time :}

Later man,

good luck to you as well

Allen

James5567
02-01-2002, 08:26 PM
i hear that, do what works best

KBWarrior88
06-24-2014, 06:28 PM
If you are not already doing so, add kettlebell training to your workout routine; also, check out the Warrior Diet.

MyNameIsMud91
06-24-2014, 07:23 PM
If you are not already doing so, add kettlebell training to your workout routine; also, check out the Warrior Diet.
Stop bumping decade old threads and take your warrior diet with you.