PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Franchise Sproles

Devian
02-18-2009, 03:20 PM
The Chargers took a major step to resolve their running back issues. They designated Darren Sproles as their franchise player, which will limit his free-agent options but guarantee him $6.621 million for the 2009 season.
Most believed the Chargers couldn?t afford to pay both Sproles and starting RB LaDainian Tomlinson. But the Chargers made sure they could.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/chargers-tag-sproles-as-franchise-player/

The last sentence makes me believe LT WILL be a Charger next season.

The_Source
02-18-2009, 03:44 PM
great news. Sproles is a great change of pace back, and at this point of LTs career, I think its time to call for a RB tandem. Glad to see him stay here in SD.

Devian
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
great news. Sproles is a great change of pace back, and at this point of LTs career, I think its time to call for a RB tandem. Glad to see him stay here in SD.

I think this is further indication we will not be going RB in the first round (although I would not have minded seeing Moreno come to SD) although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of us trading Sproles for a 1st or 2nd and still picking up a RB (Moreno still a possibility or McCoy or Donald Brown)

This really opened a lot of opportunity for the Bolts this off-season. And as much as I'd like to see Sproles back, I really hope we renegotiate so we don't have to pay him $6.6million for one season.

McRocks
02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
6.6 million for a guy that will only get 10-15 touches a game. If LT is around

cbad7676
02-18-2009, 04:35 PM
hope we keep him but if he does get traded to another team hey its another first round pick.

Devian
02-18-2009, 06:37 PM
6.6 million for a guy that will only get 10-15 touches a game. If LT is around

This is why I expect him to either A-Get traded or B-Get a long-term contract extension that won't cost $6.6mil. Pretty much this franchise tag was applied so the front office can buy some time to decide what to do with him - rather than having him ride off into the sunset in a couple weeks.

I really expect him to be traded for another 1st and the Chargers to pick up Moreno and become more of a split back system in 2009. If this were to happen it is very likely we would have 2 1000 yard backs.

Devian
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I also just noticed this is a non-exclusive tag which means if Sproles gets another offer from another team that he accepts, that team will have to give up two first round picks in the process.

east football
02-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I also just noticed this is a non-exclusive tag which means if Sproles gets another offer from another team that he accepts, that team will have to give up two first round picks in the process.

I've been a huge fan of his for a few years but he dosent deserve that much money. A 2nd string running back shouldn't make that much money and that all he will ever be. I don't think many teams will want to trade for him either, because he is being paid more than hes worth IMO.

Devian
02-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I've been a huge fan of his for a few years but he dosent deserve that much money. A 2nd string running back shouldn't make that much money and that all he will ever be. I don't think many teams will want to trade for him either, because he is being paid more than hes worth IMO.

Sproles is definitely not an every down back but he sure as hell is dangerous in a variety of situations. We saw how he pretty much beat the Colts all by himself in the wild-card round this year. AJ keeps talking about the future with Sproles, so I assume they will give him a multi year deal, paying him around $3-4mil per year and this $6.6mil tag is just for them to be able to work through that.

But Sproles doesn't need to be traded, if another team makes an offer that he accepts, the Chargers can either match it or take 2 first round picks. I know AJ is a very smart man, and part of me thinks he knows something we don't about a team that may sign Sproles.