PDA

View Full Version : Question on Pain

Howlinghound
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm on my second week of working out. Im going 4 days a week and I start with 20 minutes of cardio, my resistance training, and end it with 10 minutes of cardio. Here's my question...

While running, I don't have a problem with my lung capacity, as I used to when I was a smoker, but instead I have a severe problem of muscle pain. The muscles to the sides of my calves down to my ankles hurt. What also hurts is my lower back. Not insanely bad where its number one forefront on my mind but enough to where its annoying as hell and doesnt make my run enjoyable and thus have to walk on an incline to keep my heart rate up. Is this because I'm just getting back into running and the muscles are supposed to hurt? Or could it be bad shoes or should I be concerned?

Second question on pain...

During my first week of resistance training I felt ALOT of pain working those muscles. The usual that I always remember from years ago working out. But this week, the soreness gone, the aches gone, I'm working on my sets and on my last set I like to go till my muscles fatigue and go out. The thing is, it doesn't hurt that much. Why? And when I leave the gym it doesn't hurt either, nor the next day. Is this a sign of good things? Personally, I kind of like the pain of resistance training cause it lets me know Im doing something right. Same as sweat when I'm running.

Thoughts?

Xbrutalx233
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
How are your shoes?

shin254
02-18-2009, 12:40 PM
How are your shoes?

Exactly.

Other thing is you should make sure youve done some stretching if you arnt used to it. you might have tight IT bands and hamstrings which could be pulling on your lower back and calves.

Xbrutalx233
02-18-2009, 12:43 PM
My shoes were worn out skate shoes, no insole at all.. my shins hurt extremely bad, so I just bought a cheap pair of athletic shoes and a comfort sole from walmart and you wouldn't believe how much a 25 dollar investment helped my legs.

ZidaneValor
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't know anything about running pain, but it is normal to be less and less sore after workouts once you are a couple of weeks in. The initial soreness is usually a sign of your muscles shaking themselves out of atrophy (at least in my experience). I've been working out for five months now, and the only muscles that get sore for me anymore are the ones in my legs.

Howlinghound
02-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I've got the running shoes from Academy, start with an A, can't remember what kind they are. They're awesome shoes and are fairly comfortable as well as meant for running, or so says the aisle they were in.

Xbrutalx233
02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Have you made sure they are correct for your foot size, and arch and all that goodness... people overlook shoes alot... maybe you need an ortho insole

N0PainN0Gain
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Probably because you're 330 pounds thats probably why you're getting shin splints

Howlinghound
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Probably because you're 330 pounds thats probably why you're getting shin splints

I'm 5'9 and 197 but I havent thought about the shape of the shoe before. I'll look into that.

Xbrutalx233
02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Probably referring to me... Yeah, I'm sure it has to do with my weight... but since I've changed my shoe I don't get the pain within the first ten minutes of walking, takes at least 20-30 before I feel anything.

Howlinghound
02-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Probably referring to me... Yeah, I'm sure it has to do with my weight... but since I've changed my shoe I don't get the pain within the first ten minutes of walking, takes at least 20-30 before I feel anything.

Has it gotten better over time?

Xbrutalx233
02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I've only been walking, maybe... a week. It doesn't hurt in my legs, but that's since I Changed the shoes... I discovered the eliptical today... which didn't hurt my legs at all... I suggest that for anyone who needs low impact...

RachelBringIt
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
definitely check your shoe and make sure its right for your foot shape. I was getting bad leg pain, went to get new shoes and ends up I had too high of an arch in my shoe. I got a neutral arch and I havent had the pain since :)

Xbrutalx233
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM
It's amazing what shoes can do isn't it?

mpipes
02-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Check your posture while you're walking.

Pain in the shins or calves and low back - means you're leaning forward, plus the tight IT band and hip flexors like someone else pointed out already. The fact you're using an incline makes it even more pronounced because that's going to put you even more on your toes if you lean forward.

Stand upright with shoulders back and chest high/out, reach your feet forward and PULL with the HEEL instead of pushing on the toes.

Barn01
02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
You have pain in your leg and your back ... damn sounds like you could have pinched an SI nerve and you're experiancing a little sciatica. I've had it and it took almost a month before it was completely gone. Mine was pain all the way down one leg, I couldn't even tie my shoe for a while. Diff nerves control diff areas of the leg ... look up SI nerve and see if this sounds about right?

The day 2 muscle pain is normal and just means your worked it pretty well. Don't worry too much about that. If the muscle hurts for more than 4 days after your workout then you might have a problem.

Amandarose531
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I've got the running shoes from Academy, start with an A, can't remember what kind they are. They're awesome shoes and are fairly comfortable as well as meant for running, or so says the aisle they were in.

Asics.

Shoes are the key.

I made some silly investment in a $150 pair of shox and to be honest, I don't like them any better than the $40 academy sale running shoes, all about looks.

Just look around and find some good ones for you (my bf hates his shox because Nike has something against wide feet haha)

crupiea
02-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Shoes will be a factor in running but in your case not the only one. I would suggest this.

1- Dont run on an incline, just leave it flat, incline always kills my calves and shins.

2- Walk for 1 lap first before starting running, then do a couple minutes of stretching for your hips, groin and hamstrings. Nothing crazy, just 2 30 second mild stretches for each part. This should take all of 5 minutes.

3- When you start running go about 1 mph slower then you mormally do and dont worry about heart rate. The key for this workout is to get through it with minimal pain and being able to breath. You can always add speed later on.

You should be good after this.

Warm up, mild stretching, slow down. Buy new shoes.

Sore muscles the next day sare fine.

ski23man
02-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Sounds silly and not frugal but I have several pairs of shoes all for different types of exercises and body parts. I have my flat sole Pumas for deadlift and back/legs days and my shocks for cardio and everything else days. I'll switch from them off and on to other shoes I have to make my workouts more comfortable.

I can definitely tell the difference while wearing a older pair of shoes.

RockyIV
02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm on my second week of working out. Im going 4 days a week and I start with 20 minutes of cardio, my resistance training, and end it with 10 minutes of cardio. Here's my question...

While running, I don't have a problem with my lung capacity, as I used to when I was a smoker, but instead I have a severe problem of muscle pain. The muscles to the sides of my calves down to my ankles hurt. What also hurts is my lower back. Not insanely bad where its number one forefront on my mind but enough to where its annoying as hell and doesnt make my run enjoyable and thus have to walk on an incline to keep my heart rate up. Is this because I'm just getting back into running and the muscles are supposed to hurt? Or could it be bad shoes or should I be concerned?

Second question on pain...

During my first week of resistance training I felt ALOT of pain working those muscles. The usual that I always remember from years ago working out. But this week, the soreness gone, the aches gone, I'm working on my sets and on my last set I like to go till my muscles fatigue and go out. The thing is, it doesn't hurt that much. Why? And when I leave the gym it doesn't hurt either, nor the next day. Is this a sign of good things? Personally, I kind of like the pain of resistance training cause it lets me know Im doing something right. Same as sweat when I'm running.

Thoughts?
I have the same problem when I try to get back on the cardio wagon. The first week or two is getting over the discomfort of your ankles and shins hurting. It will get better but invest in good running shoes that match your foot shape and running style. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes like FLeet Feet or Breakaway athletics if you have one in your area. They will look at your old shoes to check how they wear and watch you run to see where you need support and get you the right shoes. They cost just as much as other shoe stores so don't think these are custom shoes. Good luck.

keninverse
02-19-2009, 08:15 AM
If you are running and planning on continuing running for a long time, you need to go to a runnning specialty store. Unfortunately you'll end up paying much more than a big box retailer like academy but it will be comparable in price to a retailer like foot locker.

Running shoes aren't designed for just anyone. They're specifically designed to fit a runner's style and fit. Are you a pronator, neutral runner or a supinator? How high are your arches? How's your foot feel on take off? Do you land on your heel, midfoot, where? How hard? all this stuff can be answered buy these guys and they'll sell you a shoe that fits you that'll last several hundred miles. And best of all you'll minimuze injuries.

b_gabe
02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
As everyone else before me has stated, make sure you have decent shoes. You can only go so many miles on a single pair before they need replaced. Don't remember how many tho... Asics is ALWAYS my shoe of choice. They don't even have to be expensive just $40-$50 pair is the average price. I have owned and tried several different brands, NIKE sux and they will more than likely give you blisters. Adidas shoes aren't even comfortable to wear from the start. And Puma's are just too expensive and exotic to run in :) I use my old pair of Asics while I do my resistance training.