PDA

View Full Version : Prison bodybuilding and nutritional deficits

valier
02-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Now this is something that has interested me .

Ive been in prison three times for very short sentences of 2-3 months one time and 6 weeks another time during the period 2001-2005.

In my experience of UK prisons, nutrition in meals especially protein on offer is hardly great. I would estimate that if one was to eat what one was given ( tyically as follows and beleive me taste and cooking in prison is lousy so eatin all that isnt easy!) your protein intake is likely to be around 70-80 grams a day.

morning (1 egg, 2 weetabix, 100 ml of milk, tea, 3-4 slices bread with butter)
protein intake around 25 grams)

lunch ( small chicken breast or battered fish fillet) chips,veg and 4 slices bread) protein intake around 25 grams

evening ( small chicken breast or meat/battered fish fillet) chips,veg and 4 slices bread) protein intake around 25 grams

You can buy supplements like cheap and poor quality York protein powder and nurishment cans but again these dont typically include whey and are expensive.
if you have friends in the kitchen u can swipe 2-3 extra eggs a day and a few slices bread more to top up taking the protein intake to 100 grams or so a day

But my point being its hardly great nutrition, of course u got access to a gym 3-4 times a week, and you can rest in a cell.

But despite all this from what i saw many guys in prison maintain and keep tremendous muscular physiques and strength.

I wonder how much steroids are smuggled into prisons?

Its an interesting topic. I have seen some phenomenally strong guys in prison around 75 kg benching 150 kg etc.

Anyone have anything to add to this topic?