PDA

View Full Version : do we feel that this is valid information?

LouieSS
01-19-2007, 03:01 PM
i am trying to write some quick notes for myself based on info mainly from this site and the internet?

is it safe to call these "facts"?

A. Two main types of protein, Whey and Casein. Basically they difference between the two is that
a. Whey is a quick acting and “hard-hitting” protein that will help your muscles grow within the first two hours of taking it. Great post workout apparently.
b. Casein is a long lasting, not nearly as “hard hitting” protein that will keep catabolism from occurring over a long period of time, generally 4-6 hours. Good at night apparently.
i. A good source of Casein that we should eat prior to bed(don’t listen to that don’t eat before bed myth either) is Milk and Cottage cheese. It is also suggested that you may want to wake up mid sleep (about 4 hours in) to have some more milk or cottage cheese but that is still up in the air due to what you lose from not sleeping.
B. In order to get a “ripped” look and not just a skinny runners look, although cardio is important, using that energy up for cardio can reduce the amount of muscle gained and will lead to a more slender “runner’s” type of body. Best course of action would be to eat healthy and lift weights to build the muscle.
C. Eating healthy to gain muscle and lose fat requires the intake of Protein, carbs, and fat. All being very important. A 40/40/20 breakdown is generally a decent place to start but not a set in stone method.
D. Losing fat comes down to one thing. Calories. If you intake more calories that you spend you will gain fat, if you spend more than you take in you will lose fat.
a. A general rule of thumb is target body weight x 15 for caloric intake, and then if you want to cut, subtract about 500 calories or so. EX. 200 pound man would be 200*15 = 3000 calories a day. Subtract 500 for about ABOUT 2500 calories a day.
E. We should all take some flax oil or fish oil in the morning to get our metabolism started. It appears to be the only thing that the ENTIRE world agrees on I will be buying some for sure.
F. Low GI carbs are what is important for the morning. Oats are a good choice, not the ****ty oatmeal either… just oats. I wil probably stick to whole wheat bread, ****’em.

Hikeon3
01-19-2007, 03:10 PM
D. Losing fat comes down to one thing. Calories. If you intake more calories that you spend you will gain fat, if you spend more than you take in you will lose fat.

Not always true. If I was sedentary, yes. I would gain fat. But if I am engaging in intense resistance training I will gain muscle. Also, if I am in a caloric deficit I may lose muscle as well as fat.

Crunchbar
01-19-2007, 03:11 PM
i am trying to write some quick notes for myself based on info mainly from this site and the internet?

is it safe to call these "facts"?

A. Two main types of protein, Whey and Casein. Basically they difference between the two is that
a. Whey is a quick acting and “hard-hitting” protein that will help your muscles grow within the first two hours of taking it. Great post workout apparently.
b. Casein is a long lasting, not nearly as “hard hitting” protein that will keep catabolism from occurring over a long period of time, generally 4-6 hours. Good at night apparently.
i. A good source of Casein that we should eat prior to bed(don’t listen to that don’t eat before bed myth either) is Milk and Cottage cheese. It is also suggested that you may want to wake up mid sleep (about 4 hours in) to have some more milk or cottage cheese but that is still up in the air due to what you lose from not sleeping.
B. In order to get a “ripped” look and not just a skinny runners look, although cardio is important, using that energy up for cardio can reduce the amount of muscle gained and will lead to a more slender “runner’s” type of body. Best course of action would be to eat healthy and lift weights to build the muscle.
C. Eating healthy to gain muscle and lose fat requires the intake of Protein, carbs, and fat. All being very important. A 40/40/20 breakdown is generally a decent place to start but not a set in stone method.
a. A general rule of thumb is target body weight x 15 for caloric intake, and then if you want to cut, subtract about 500 calories or so. EX. 200 pound man would be 200*15 = 3000 calories a day. Subtract 500 for about ABOUT 2500 calories a day.
E. We should all take some flax oil or fish oil in the morning to get our metabolism started. It appears to be the only thing that the ENTIRE world agrees on I will be buying some for sure.
F. Low GI carbs are what is important for the morning. Oats are a good choice, not the ****ty oatmeal either… just oats. I wil probably stick to whole wheat bread, ****’em.

some of these points are very good but some are quit off.