PDA

View Full Version : Eating enough? What if I'm not?

Peot
02-14-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm having a very hard time determining my allotted calorie intake given my activity level. I'm a Division I wrestler, which entails hours of intense practice and strength and conditioning sessions. I just finished my last tournament, and I really want to focus on improving my strength and athletic capacity to be the best that I can be.

But I can't tell if I'm eating enough or not!

During the season, when I had to keep my weight down, I was eating around 2100-2200 calories on a daily basis, with a lot few carbs than I probably need. I just haven't figured out how to eat an adequate amount out of fear of gaining a lot of weight (used to be fat, I'm sure you guys have heard the story before.)

I found the an excel spreadsheet made by a poster on this site called "Total Metabolism Calculator," and it told me I should be eating as much as 3700 calories at maintenance! I'm 5'6", 150 and probably 9-11% if I had to estimate. Do you think you guys could help me out?

wave_length
02-14-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm having a very hard time determining my allotted calorie intake given my activity level. I'm a Division I wrestler, which entails hours of intense practice and strength and conditioning sessions. I just finished my last tournament, and I really want to focus on improving my strength and athletic capacity to be the best that I can be.

But I can't tell if I'm eating enough or not!

During the season, when I had to keep my weight down, I was eating around 2100-2200 calories on a daily basis, with a lot few carbs than I probably need. I just haven't figured out how to eat an adequate amount out of fear of gaining a lot of weight (used to be fat, I'm sure you guys have heard the story before.)

I found the an excel spreadsheet made by a poster on this site called "Total Metabolism Calculator," and it told me I should be eating as much as 3700 calories at maintenance! I'm 5'6", 150 and probably 9-11% if I had to estimate. Do you think you guys could help me out?

You are eating the right amount if your rate of weight change meets your expectations. Adjust accordingly.

Peot
02-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I guess it is that easy... I never realized how hard it would be to overcome that mental hurdle of not wanting to gain weight. I don't even know if I'll be able to put on significant mass on 3k, but I'm trying that out for a couple of weeks and seeing where it gets me.

Thanks for the advice, even if it was really simple and obvious