PDA

View Full Version : protein carbs and muscle

nish12
02-14-2009, 04:53 AM
do carbs actually help build LEAN muscle or do they help to just give you bulk size? my diet is v.high in protein and moderate to low on carbs ( i would say quite low tbf) and v.low fats....

im 19....5' 11 and 152lbs....9% body fat....

i wnna increase my lean muscle mass which is abt 137lbs to abt 141 over tym without adding fat or losing any definition i have. if i continue with a v.high protein diet than i am employin right nw...what do u guys think? would i b abl to put on lean muscle without the fat...remember i dnt mind it taking longer...i just want to know if i can gt the results i desire.

i am eatin abt 2300 calories now on training days and 2100 on non training days...abt 350-400g protein a day and the rest frm veggies and oats ( and whatever fat i gt from tofu i eat)

Theenforcer1
02-14-2009, 05:19 AM
carbs and fat = energy. High protein low f/c is dumb imo

2300 calories isnt going to build **** on a 5'11 frame if your doing any sort of work in the gym.

Fear of growing = your spinning your wheels son.

hockeyplaya13
02-14-2009, 07:13 AM
I'd say that they give you bulk size. Carbs are converted to glycogen which is stored in the muscles. Glycogen bonds to water, so more water is stored in your muscle which gives your muscles a fuller look without actually increasing the size of the actual muscle tissue. But carbs are needed to fuel your workout and do have an affect indirectly on building lean muscle too.

raydawrestler13
02-14-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd say that they give you bulk size. Carbs are converted to glycogen which is stored in the muscles. Glycogen bonds to water, so more water is stored in your muscle which gives your muscles a fuller look without actually increasing the size of the actual muscle tissue. But carbs are needed to fuel your workout and do have an affect indirectly on building lean muscle too.

nicely worded. something similar to what i was going to say. you will be repped my friend.

steviekm3
02-14-2009, 08:07 AM
do carbs actually help build LEAN muscle or do they help to just give you bulk size? my diet is v.high in protein and moderate to low on carbs ( i would say quite low tbf) and v.low fats....

im 19....5' 11 and 152lbs....9% body fat....

i wnna increase my lean muscle mass which is abt 137lbs to abt 141 over tym without adding fat or losing any definition i have. if i continue with a v.high protein diet than i am employin right nw...what do u guys think? would i b abl to put on lean muscle without the fat...remember i dnt mind it taking longer...i just want to know if i can gt the results i desire.

i am eatin abt 2300 calories now on training days and 2100 on non training days...abt 350-400g protein a day and the rest frm veggies and oats ( and whatever fat i gt from tofu i eat)

You for sure need carbs - they fill your muscles with glycogen and expand the cell size. Expanded cell size is correlated with an anabolic state. The muscles grow better in this state after being put under stress. Remember the glycogen is not only used during the workout but it is also use to fuel the growth process. You are eating way too much protein imo. cut back on protein to say 1.3g/lbm and up the carbs mainly ( slow digesting ) and up some fat as fat is needed too. Try to eat a more balanced meal.. I'm basically going off of what Layne Norton says.

Chicago1287
02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
When people say you need carbs to have the energy to lift intense, I agree but disagree too. Basically, it has to be more than that.

My reason for that is cause MANY people including myself have had an increase in strength while on Keto. I was doing very intense workouts (if not more intense than when I was having carbs). But muscle growth is very slow when not having carbs. So why is it harder to gain muscle while on Keto (at a caloric surplus)?

I think the whole insulin spike thing is the reason why carbs are better to have when lifting when it comes to gaining muscle. Of course you need the energy and carbs to be able to lift intense, but like I said, I had plenty of energy when I was on the Keto diet, but even at a caloric surplus, the muscle growth without carbs is much slower.