PDA

View Full Version : Eating and drinking don't mix??

wannabemeso
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
http://ezinearticles.com/?Eating-and-Drinking-Dont-Mix&id=113622

Is this true?

It makes sense, and I'm the guy who drinks 2 glasses while eating and my digestion sucks. Lots of gas and I need to take fiber everyday to stay regular. This makes a lot of sense.

Thoughts???

v4nity
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
i think its bull.. but maybe thats cause i drink water all day everyday..

Blindead
02-11-2009, 12:04 PM
the author doesn't even know the difference between your and you're. sounds stupid too. oh your stomach is a furnace, if you put water on the fire, it won't burn! lol!

wannabemeso
02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Anyone have any valid opinions on the subject at hand?

Gronnie
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I am not sure if it is valid or not as I can't remember where I heard/read it, but I remember something about when you start getting thirsty (like actual thirst, not "OMG that was hot I need some water") it is time to stop eating.

Probably bs broscience, maybe I will do a little research later to find out.

Wowzer
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
http://ezinearticles.com/?Eating-and-Drinking-Dont-Mix&id=113622

Is this true?

It makes sense, and I'm the guy who drinks 2 glasses while eating and my digestion sucks. Lots of gas and I need to take fiber everyday to stay regular. This makes a lot of sense.

Thoughts???

It's crap.
Water may dilute stomach acid slightly, but the stomach lining will then produce more acid. The body is wonderful like that.

Water would actually help dissolve some foods. For instance, put some bread into water and swish it around a bit (which is what the stomach does to food). It will break apart quite nicely. So water would in fact help the breakdown of a lot of foods.

Digestive enzymes from the pancreas actually operate best in a slightly alkaline environment. Secretions from the pancreas neutralize stomach acids in the duodenum of the small intestine. So water would also help here by making the environment less acidic. If the digestive enzymes are diluted, once again the body will just release more. Some digestive enzymes are continuously present on the brush border of the small intestine so their concentration would be unaffected by water.

In summary: Drinking water with food is fine.

wannabemeso
02-12-2009, 07:31 AM
It's crap.
Water may dilute stomach acid slightly, but the stomach lining will then produce more acid. The body is wonderful like that.

Water would actually help dissolve some foods. For instance, put some bread into water and swish it around a bit (which is what the stomach does to food). It will break apart quite nicely. So water would in fact help the breakdown of a lot of foods.

Digestive enzymes from the pancreas actually operate best in a slightly alkaline environment. Secretions from the pancreas neutralize stomach acids in the duodenum of the small intestine. So water would also help here by making the environment less acidic. If the digestive enzymes are diluted, once again the body will just release more. Some digestive enzymes are continuously present on the brush border of the small intestine so their concentration would be unaffected by water.

In summary: Drinking water with food is fine.

Hmmm, yeah, I see that point, just wondering if not drinking at all while eating, which would make the enzymes at 100% would make the digestion better? Not that water is horrible for it, but that without it, it's just better?