PDA

View Full Version : Carbs for lossing fat

eminthepooh
02-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, i've been trying to loose weight for about a month now. I set a goal of loosing about 5% body fat by 16 weeks. I started out at 18%.
I'm taking in around 1800-2000 calories a day, and doin cardio (elliptical) interval training for 30 minutes 4-5 times a week. I also do some minimal lifting and ab workouts.

My Q is about carbs mainly. How many should I be taking in? and when in the day should I? like my cereal is about 25g and by accounts thats too much already.
Any inputs?

Jay Rawd
02-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, i've been trying to loose weight for about a month now. I set a goal of loosing about 5% body fat by 16 weeks. I started out at 18%.
I'm taking in around 1800-2000 calories a day, and doin cardio (elliptical) interval training for 30 minutes 4-5 times a week. I also do some minimal lifting and ab workouts.

My Q is about carbs mainly. How many should I be taking in? and when in the day should I? like my cereal is about 25g and by accounts thats too much already.
Any inputs?
Eat around 1.25-1.5 grams per lb. of lean mass in protein.

Then, take your calorie total, multiply it by 0.20. Divide by 9. This is your fat count.

Take your protein number, multiply it by 4, and that's your percentage of protein.

Add the fat percentage (20%) to the protein percentage. Then subtract them from 100. That's your carb percentage.

Once you get that, divide by 4. That's how many carbs you'll be eating for the first week.

Every week, you'll take away 3-5 grams of carbs while keeping protein and fat grams steady. Around every 3-4 weeks you'll decrease fat by one gram. Protein grams should stay constant throughout your diet.

That's how to cut. If you stall, cut more carbs. I'd say don't go below 100 grams a day or you're asking for trouble (muscle loss).