PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Mental Problem Overweight Teens Face (Serious Discussion)

George Costanza
02-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm writing this based purely on personal experience and from posts and threads I've read since I started using this site back in February.

I think the most critical problem overweight teens encounter when they begin lifting is that they're afraid of the scale. Most of us (I will use us as the word for formerly extreme overweight teens throughout the topic) have been overweight throughout our lives. And I don't mean overweight according to people on this site (which is ridiculous and skewed in itself), I mean very overweight compared to the average American. Due to this, we're self conscious in the beginning and only want to lose weight, never wanna think of overeating to GAIN weight (i.e bulk).

Now, as all of us know, most UNHEALTHY overweight people (basically not defensive/offensive line players etc) don't have much muscle in their upper body. If any, most carry muscle in their waist and legs. Therefore, when most kids our age decide they want to get in shape or "tone" as most newbs (NOT noobs, difference be noted) would call it, they're not toning down to anything, especially if their diet isn't in check. This leads to them becoming skinny-fat so they look better than before but are discouraged by not being RIPPED like they think they will be.

This brings back the original point, being afraid of the scale. When it comes down to finally bulking after the original cut...they see the numbers on the scale go up and start to panic. When it happened to me I was a bit nervous as well, but I had educated myself by being on this site, I expected it. Clothes, especially jeans, start to fit tight again and then they get scared and abandon ship, back to cutting which normally leads to them cutting most of their muscle gains and repeats the viscous cycle. Not to sound like a hypocrite, as I am a victim of this myself for the first few months of training.

I think that more people should be educated on the topic of clean bulking even if you ARE overweight, because with newb gains (which WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE don't take near full advantage of) will help you cut fat AND gain muscle while also gaining a better body shape. I think many more people would be healthy ESPECIALLY IN AMERICA WHERE THERE ARE FITNESS CLUBS AND GYMS EVERYWHERE if more people were educated on the cutting/bulking cycle and how important nutrition is in daily life. And that most people should throw out their scales (or at least not use them on a bi-daily basis lol).

Overall I only wrote this to get some thoughts out and possibly help out some overweight teens. Although I didn't really use specifics I feel it's a pretty decent overview of the pitfall many overweight teens fall into when they begin bodybuilding or just lifting weights in general.

Discuss and add your thoughts guys, hopefully we can help some kids out.

Amandarose531
02-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Agreed on a few points.

I don't have kids in the current school systems so i'm not sure how it works now but, when I was pushed through elementary, and junior high and even up till part of high school a folder followed me to gym class kept on record from the school and inside was the information related to my P.E. Testing i.e. weight, height, pull ups, sit ups, a mile run so on so forth and three times every year (junior high) you were weighed beginning middle and end to track your progress in front of your peers which I think leads a lot to the fear of the scale because lets be honest - in those years some kids are just genetically blessed with body structures they didn't have to work for.

mazrikthemage
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
yes i recently learned that too, you made a good point, i hope your message spreads out to america!

m1ke1
02-04-2009, 03:26 PM
you make a lot of good points man, even people who arent fat (skinny even) are shocked when i tell them if they want to get big theyl probably lose a little definition for a while to bulk - its amazing how scared people are of being recognized as fat

lococrzy
02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
good points man, i hvnt cut too much yet still have a ways away before my first bulk, but the other night i was thinking and i was scared lof gaining all my weight back during my bulk and stuff.

Im glad you wrote this up

xvicknumber7x
02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I am a former overweight teen [220 to 150] who also cut down to being skinny-fat. I recently started a clean bulk in the beginning of December and it is going well. I was terrified of gaining weight again but now it is easy to gain muscle because I am going SLOWLY.

TEENS! DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GAIN! DO YOUR BULK SLOWLY AND YOU WILL REAP ALL OF THE BENEFITS! Clean eating and lifting will not steer you wrong. Do not be afraid of the scale. Put your trust in the mirror and your mind. You can escape being skinny fat, like me, by taking it slow and concisely. Remember the creed about fat loss? A marathon, not a sprint? The same goes for bulking. You must do it to escape being skinny fat, and you must do it to cut effectively. Take it from the boy who did it wrong.

208-need-175
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Great points dude. +rep

laxer22
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
If you're talking about overweight teens in general I disagree. If you're talking about overweight teens who have made the commitment to change their lifestyle I agree.

The biggest problem most overweight teens face in my opinion is food addiction. We haven't even begun to recognize food as an addictive substance in our society, despite the fact that there are scientific studies that prove that food in general can be both psychologically and and physiologically addictive. There are even rehab programs in many hospitals that use the same techniques as their drug and alcohol rehab programs to help "cure" food addiction. The statement "we eat with our emotions" is an understatement.

George Costanza
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Lax, yeah this was definitely targeted about the teens who want to make a change.

George Costanza
02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Bumping topic.

That cool brahs?

injured44
02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
probably lack of activity

people go to school or work for 8 hours a day and its tough to come home and get motivated for exercise, and its much easier to relax and have a nice dinner.

i think schools need more gym classes, and work places might want to offer fitness club memberships.

Lpenny
02-06-2009, 02:05 PM
All I can say is don't take anything for granted. I was chubby/fat my entire life until my senior year when I decided to play football. I went from about 215 to 175, but avoided the weights because I didn't want people to see how weak I really was. I pretty much starved myself considering all the running etc. I was doing in football, but as soon as football ended I guess I started "rewarding" myself by eating whatever, whenever and taking it easy. I took my situation for granted and ended up at 225 pounds. Fortunately I found this website last fall, and started to really hit the weights, and have made great gains in strength and muscle mass. Now that I have a good muscular base, I'm going to cut down slowly and hopefully get down to around 185-190 by summer and actually look good (not look skinny-fat, like I did after football season). Looking back though, I really wish I wouldve opened my eyes back when I was 175 and started to hit the weights instead of Mcdonalds.