PDA

View Full Version : Rivals CFB pre-season rankings already?

Calhexas
01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Pre-Spring top 25 for 2009 CFB.

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. LSU
6. Virginia Tech
7. Ohio State
8. Alabama
9. Boise State
10. Oklahoma State
11. Ga Tech
12. Ole Miss
13. Cal
14. FL State
15. Penn State
16. Kansas
17. Oregon
18. Georgia
19. Iowa
20. TCU
21. USF
22. Utah
23. Notre Dame
24. Oregon State
25. North Carolina

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=902748

check out comments as to why teams are ranked the way they are.

Obviously new recruits haven't been taken into account. Freshmen can really make a team though.

Comments? Thoughts?

I know it's early...but come on...you all know you're ready for it to happen all over again.

:)

bmy-
01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks pretty good to me. I thought North Carolina would be higher and I think LSU should be around #10.

Notre Dame at #23.. :eek:

drmmrRT
01-22-2009, 10:36 AM
va tech? cal? kansas? notre dame?

id put tcu and ole miss somewhere in the top 10. Utah is getting the biggest dicking in history

bmy-
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM

id put tcu and ole miss somewhere in the top 10. Utah is getting the biggest dicking in history

Virginia Tech is going to be good. They return nearly their entire team.

Utah is losing ALOT. They won't have a repeat of this season.

Cramerica
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm skeptical of GT...especially after what LSU did.

They run that triple-option offense that defenses should have learned how to deal with in high school.

JIGSAW
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Top 10 look alright to me......

Minhsanity
01-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Virginia Tech is going to be good. They return nearly their entire team.

Utah is losing ALOT. They won't have a repeat of this season.

Yes on V-Tech. Their RB is only a freshman (1200y/11td).. and Tyrod Taylor is only a sophomore. Returns all but 1 on offense, and 7 on defense. They will be missing Victor Harris though.

Cal -- Same defense except all LBs are gone which is a big problem for them. Offense will continue to improve and Jahvid Best is going to have a good season if he stays healthy.

Kansas -- ??? Don't know much about Kansas.. they look young and Reesing/Briscoe is back?

ND -- Returns all on offense except for 1 lineman... got a new OL coach... so let's see how that goes. Golden Tate and Mike Floyd should have good games.. running game still questionable as f**k. 3 gone on defense, and Darrin Walls (CB) will return to school next year to give the secondary a boost. (Yes ND fan...)

_Translucency
01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
As a Notre Dame fan, I am very happy to see them inside the Top 25 - they are returning almost all of their talent and as always, they have one of the better recruiting classes. With that said, when the games start, I am sure they will find a way to drop, and fast.

North Carolina should be higher - I am surprised to see how low they are. Also, I thought TCU and Utah would be higher. I have no legitimate gripes with anything else.

Max~Power
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
. Utah is getting the biggest dicking in history

Before you make comments like this, look at who they are losing... thanks

You're not one of those "Utah should be the National Champ" guys are you?

fivas15
01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Utah should be at 25. were losing way too fu.cking much

Minhsanity
01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
As a Notre Dame fan, I am very happy to see them inside the Top 25 - they are returning almost all of their talent and as always, they have one of the better recruiting classes. With that said, when the games start, I am sure they will find a way to drop, and fast.

North Carolina should be higher - I am surprised to see how low they are. Also, I thought TCU and Utah would be higher. I have no legitimate gripes with anything else.

UNC should probably be higher.. they have good talent and Butch Davis is recruiting pretty well. Is Hakeem Nicks returning/leaving? Goddard was a beast on defense, but I think he's gone. Marvin Austin is a strong DL talent and only a sophomore.

Max~Power
01-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Ole Miss is returning 17 starters, including quarterback Jevan Snead.

Not bad

fivas15
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
BST national championship

Cramerica
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
UNC should probably be higher.. they have good talent and Butch Davis is recruiting pretty well. Is Hakeem Nicks returning/leaving? Goddard was a beast on defense, but I think he's gone. Marvin Austin is a strong DL talent and only a sophomore.

I beleive Nicks is leaving.

Max~Power
01-22-2009, 11:30 AM

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. LSU
6. Virginia Tech
7. Ohio State
8. Alabama
9. Boise State
10. Oklahoma State
11. Ga Tech
12. Ole Miss
13. Cal
14. FL State
15. Penn State
16. Kansas
17. Oregon
18. Georgia
19. Iowa
20. TCU
21. USF
22. Utah
23. Notre Dame
24. Oregon State
25. North Carolina

SEC Homerism!

SwagMorris
01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
UNC will build on last season. They have a great recruiting class coming in. Should have a chance of winning the ACC since there are still no huge favorites to win it.

They are losing Nicks, but have other weapons at receiver at the incoming freshman Boyd looks like a stud.

Three6Mafia
01-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I think Oregon should be a little higher, but other than Ohio State in that high I agree with the pre season polls. I know OkState is returning 10 offensive players and their whole defense other than 2 players. They will surprise a lot of people.

Cramerica
01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I think Oregon should be a little higher, but other than Ohio State in that high I agree with the pre season polls. I know OkState is returning 10 offensive players and their whole defense other than 2 players. They will surprise a lot of people.
Wait, Oklahoma State had a defense?

Ejjw18
01-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Ohio St at #7, **** yeah ill take that.

r0bo
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
usf at 21 is probably a bad thing..we need to step it up in BE play.this next year is our best recruiting class though with a top 25 class so far..playing the u and fsu this season will make or break future recruting also..

Calhexas
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I think Utah's getting some undefeated season love. Honestly I think they're losing too much to be ranked that high.

Notre Dame I don't really understand.

I like that VTech is ranked high...reminds me of Clemson vs Bama at the beginning of this season. Should help Bama's SOS this year as long as they don't turn out to be a flop.

And nothing against LSU...but I think they need to be a bit lower. Either right in front or behind Bama.

=T Bone=
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Looks pretty good, other than North C being so low.

GoldBlue
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
TCU makes a BCS bowl game next year. Book it. TCU is way way way way way way way under-rated.

They will be top 5 next year.

ChefPhalBignuts
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Na, bro. Half the offense is going and O and D coordinator are gone too :(

The defense will be even more solid though

And look at Boise getting some hardcore loving. Nice

bmy-
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I think Utah's getting some undefeated season love. Honestly I think they're losing too much to be ranked that high.

I like that VTech is ranked high...reminds me of Clemson vs Bama at the beginning of this season. Should help Bama's SOS this year as long as they don't turn out to be a flop.

And nothing against LSU...but I think they need to be a bit lower. Either right in front or behind Bama.

I have LSU at #10 and Bama at #14 FWIW. Bama loses almost an entire offense and returns most of the defense.

Difference between VT and Clemson at the beginning of the year.. VT looks to be a legitimate contender. Everyone over looked Clemson not having an offensive line.. and they got bent over by an elephant [repeatedly, lmao].

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Virginia Tech
5. Ohio State
6. Okie St.
7. USC
8. FSU
9. Ole Miss
10. LSU
11. California
12. Boise St.
13. Penn St.
14. Bama
15. Oregon
16. UGA
17. Kansas
18. North Carolina
19. Iowa
20. TCU
21. USF
22. Oregon St.
23. Arizona St.
24. TAMU
25. Miami

rustov7
01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Miami is the wildcard.. they could be really damn good... or really damn bad.

iamlegend
01-22-2009, 04:51 PM
It sure is nice to see somebody besides the usual top five

ChefPhalBignuts
01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Miami is the wildcard.. they could be really damn good... or really damn bad.

Old school Miami type good or just good?

rustov7
01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Old school Miami type good or just good?

Unless they bust some serious @ss this offseason, it's going to be at least another season before they get scary again.

I'm predicting they'll be solid. But if they get things rolling and get into some sort of roll.. those guys are seriously tough to beat when they're feeling it (swagger w/e).

ChefPhalBignuts
01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Unless they bust some serious @ss this offseason, it's going to be at least another season before they get scary again.

I'm predicting they'll be solid. But if they get things rolling and get into some sort of roll.. those guys are seriously tough to beat when they're feeling it (swagger w/e).

What the hell happened the them the last couple years? They always are in the top schools for recruits. How do they not capitalize on it?

Are their coaches any good?

rustov7
01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
What the hell happened the them the last couple years? They always are in the top schools for recruits. How do they not capitalize on it?

Are their coaches any good?

last few years, randy has been gettin rid of those sh*tty recruits that larry coker brang in and didn't develop. I doubt they have a player picked in the first round this year which will end a 7ish year long streak. Says something about those last few classes that coker brought in.

I thought they did pretty damn good this year considering.

You wouldn't know it though because they have higher expectations at that school then anywhere. If you don't win the national championship within like 2-3 years, you're gone.

Kinda absurd.

bmy-
01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
last few years, randy has been gettin rid of those sh*tty recruits that larry coker brang in and didn't develop. I doubt they have a player picked in the first round this year which will end a 7ish year long streak. Says something about those last few classes that coker brought in.

I thought they did pretty damn good this year considering.

You wouldn't know it though because they have higher expectations at that school then anywhere. If you don't win the national championship within like 2-3 years, you're gone.

Kinda absurd.

They raised their academic standards.

I see Miami contending for NCs again within the next 5 years. They won't ever be loaded like they were again.. not with UF and USF being so good lately.

rustov7
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
They raised their academic standards.

I see Miami contending for NCs again within the next 5 years. They won't ever be loaded like they were again.. not with UF and USF being so good lately.

probations have changed that before, will change again.

UF on probation in mid 80's (believe that was their 3rd probation? Not sure ) when miami was beating everyone. Miami on probation when FSU was dominating in 90's. So the cycle will continue.

Agreed though. Other florida schools have come up and thus the recruits they would be getting aren't going to be sitting on the bench when they could be starting.

Calhexas
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I have LSU at #10 and Bama at #14 FWIW. Bama loses almost an entire offense and returns most of the defense.

Difference between VT and Clemson at the beginning of the year.. VT looks to be a legitimate contender. Everyone over looked Clemson not having an offensive line.. and they got bent over by an elephant [repeatedly, lmao].

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Virginia Tech
5. Ohio State
6. Okie St.
7. USC
8. FSU
9. Ole Miss
10. LSU
11. California
12. Boise St.
13. Penn St.
14. Bama
15. Oregon
16. UGA
17. Kansas
18. North Carolina
19. Iowa
20. TCU
21. USF
22. Oregon St.
23. Arizona St.
24. TAMU
25. Miami

As usual you criticize Bama heavily...and as usual I have to defend them. I'd put LSU/Bama at 9-10. One ahead of the other.

Offensively:LSU's losing their 2 best INTERIOR linemen...Bama is losing two really good lineman and one "so-so" guard. And LSU is still somewhat undetermined at QB. The loss of their best WR could be a problem...but only time will tell.

However, Summer is plenty of time to regroup the losses on the line. Hell...Bama already gave some possible starters valuable game experience in the Sugar Bowl against one of the fastest defenses an OL can face.

It's not like Bama has no experience at all. Johnson, Drew Davis, and Boswell will most likely be the top 3. The other spots are open and new recruit Fluker could easily fill in a gap and boost Bama's running game.

WR's are set for Bama.

McElroy is a better passer than JPW...and Star Jackson is hell of a lot more athletic. The only thing they lack is the experience JPW had, and as much as an experienced QB helps...it can be made up elsewhere until it's obtained.

Losing McCall and Walker on offense is tough...but Ga Tech transfer ****n Peek will be eligible and is quite good, and underclassman Brad Smelley proved to be useful in tight pinches as a good passing TE. I'm not worried.

Losing Coffee disturbs me the most. He was very consistent with good blocking...and was a great addition to the RB stables Bama had. Between him and Smith I don't know which I miss the most already. We'll have to wait until next season to see.

Defense:

LSU has picked up some great recruits on the front...hopefully they can make an impact for the 3 losses they suffer here. Bama has only graduated one, and the others are very good. Cody is back which is great for Bama. He's highly effective against the run. His backups (Chapman, Dareus) will see playing time and both have amazing strengths. Chapman is supposedly the strongest on the team, and Dareus is rumored to hit the hardest. Greenwood is the only loss, and he was a sound DT but nothing spectacular. Washington/Billingsley will likely replace him and I'm very confident in their abilities. There is also room for new recruits to see action as well.

Linebackers are great for Bama. All are returning, and were a true strength last season. They're big, they're strong, they're fast...and they're sound. I'm pretty psyched about this.

Losing R.Johnson is going to hurt. He was the secondary leader. The strength of the secondary will depend on how good his replacement is, and how well they can work on getting the secondary defending as a unit. My guess is Ali Sharrief/Mark Barron/BJ Scott (rumor) will be replacing them. All are pretty good...all have the necessary skills and potential to fill RJ's shoes.

Overall...the greatest losses are RJ/Smith/Coffee. Everything else shouldn't be relatively difficult to replace or rebuild. Pretty much why I would keep Bama in the top 10. LSU has a few losses on defense, and a couple critical ones on offense. The loss of H. Johnson could be big...especially when facing Bama. Johnson was pretty much the biggest reason Cody didn't wreak as much havoc against the run. Going to be hard to replace that kind of size and strength.

iamlegend
01-22-2009, 07:56 PM

What is wrong with Kansas being ranked?

_Translucency
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM

Notre Dame deserves a spot in the pre-season Top 25 and while it is likely that they will find a way to drop out of it quickly, they should start inside of it. They return all of their talent and have hired some new coaches. Also, as always, they have one of the top recruiting classes.

bmy-
01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
As usual you criticize Bama heavily...and as usual I have to defend them. I'd put LSU/Bama at 9-10. One ahead of the other.

I didn't criticize Bama heavily at all. Ranked in the top-15 and you complain.. sheesh ;)

Offensively:LSU's losing their 2 best INTERIOR linemen...Bama is losing two really good lineman and one "so-so" guard. And LSU is still somewhat undetermined at QB. The loss of their best WR could be a problem...but only time will tell.

And two excellent blocking TEs. LSU is losing Herman Johnson and an undersized center. Big Herm is a big loss.. our center.. not as big. The equivalent of you losing Marlon really.

What's going to hurt Bama is the loss of your LT/TEs combined with an inexperienced QB. Jefferson showed he can get it done as the starter at LSU.. I fail to see that as a question mark. As long as he doesn't regress we'll be fine. Oh, Lafell is staying btw.. we lose D. Byrd (and good riddance, his attitude was terrible). Big Herm is the only player we'll miss next year IMO .. and Colt David.

However, Summer is plenty of time to regroup the losses on the line. Hell...Bama already gave some possible starters valuable game experience in the Sugar Bowl against one of the fastest defenses an OL can face.

You'll give up alot of sacks from the left side next year I think.

It's not like Bama has no experience at all. Johnson, Drew Davis, and Boswell will most likely be the top 3. The other spots are open and new recruit Fluker could easily fill in a gap and boost Bama's running game.

I don't see Fluker starting unless he 'clicks' in the off season. He gets dominated by quality speed rushers. If he starts.. he'll cost Bama a game at least. [That's a compliment to him, seriously.]

WR's are set for Bama.

Yep.

McElroy is a better passer than JPW...and Star Jackson is hell of a lot more athletic. The only thing they lack is the experience JPW had, and as much as an experienced QB helps...it can be made up elsewhere until it's obtained.

If they were better they would have started last season. JPW was the 3rd best QB in the SEC behind Stafford/Snead. Losing a veteran QB hurts.. no matter who it is. If McElroy starts.. he's alot like JPW.. he won't lose the game for you (very often, lmao). If Star starts.. I'd expect 3-5 losses.

Losing McCall and Walker on offense is tough...but Ga Tech transfer ****n Peek will be eligible and is quite good, and underclassman Brad Smelley proved to be useful in tight pinches as a good passing TE. I'm not worried.

I wouldn't worry about the passing TE part. The run blocking is the difficult part to replace.

Losing Coffee disturbs me the most. He was very consistent with good blocking...and was a great addition to the RB stables Bama had. Between him and Smith I don't know which I miss the most already. We'll have to wait until next season to see.

I already think Ingram is a better back. Talent wise.. Bama will be better in the backfield next year. They just won't have the truck-sized holes to run through like this last season.

Defense:

LSU has picked up some great recruits on the front...hopefully they can make an impact for the 3 losses they suffer here. Bama has only graduated one, and the others are very good. Cody is back which is great for Bama. He's highly effective against the run. His backups (Chapman, Dareus) will see playing time and both have amazing strengths. Chapman is supposedly the strongest on the team, and Dareus is rumored to hit the hardest. Greenwood is the only loss, and he was a sound DT but nothing spectacular. Washington/Billingsley will likely replace him and I'm very confident in their abilities. There is also room for new recruits to see action as well.

LSU will be far better on defense next year. Especially in the secondary. We've got ridiculous amounts of talent in waiting for the D-line.. i'm more worried about replacing Beckwith (even if he was injured all season)

I'm not going to lie.. I think Chapman is far better than Cody. He was just young this year. I didn't think so until I looked at stats. Cody only had 1/2 a sack and 4 TFL.. doesn't matter which one plays more next year -- Bama will have the #2 defense in the league. (I give the edge to UF due to depth)

If Bama wins against VT.. I see a 2-3 loss season. If they lose against VT.. 3-4 losses. Still a quality year and enough to warrant a preseason top-10 spot for the 2010 season.

AFOX
01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
What is wrong with Kansas being ranked?

Look what happened this year when they were over ranked..7-5 thats what. The fat man had one good year with a joke of a schedule. The Huskers will own the Big 12 North with Bo Pelini as coach. The Blackshirts are back, and I expect them to have the best defense in the Big 12 next year.

Calhexas
01-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I didn't criticize Bama heavily at all. Ranked in the top-15 and you complain.. sheesh ;)

We're discussing the SEC here...you know we expect nothing but excellence here.

Top 15 just seems a bit low to me. I really don't see the losses as unmanagable.

And two excellent blocking TEs. LSU is losing Herman Johnson and an undersized center. Big Herm is a big loss.. our center.. not as big. The equivalent of you losing Marlon really.

No...he was a quality center. Undersized maybe...but he was a good blocker. Quality center > Decent guard any day of the week.

What's going to hurt Bama is the loss of your LT/TEs combined with an inexperienced QB.

Probably the biggest issue...but like I said...the TE situation isn't as dire as everyone thinks.

Jefferson showed he can get it done as the starter at LSU.. I fail to see that as a question mark.

He had one good performance against a non-SEC team. We'll see what he's like on SEC turf when there's more than just the team's record on the line.

As long as he doesn't regress we'll be fine. Oh, Lafell is staying btw.. we lose D. Byrd (and good riddance, his attitude was terrible). Big Herm is the only player we'll miss next year IMO .. and Colt David.

I believe Byrd was better than Lafell IMO. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If Lafell had left...you'd be in worse shape for sure.

You'll give up alot of sacks from the left side next year I think.

I don't see Fluker starting unless he 'clicks' in the off season. He gets dominated by quality speed rushers. If he starts.. he'll cost Bama a game at least. [That's a compliment to him, seriously.]

You must really dislike this kid.

"D.J. Fluker is an anomaly," said Barry Every, a Rivals.com national recruiting analyst. "You just don't see human beings this big [6 feet 7 and 345 pounds] and this athletic."

THAT is a compliment.

I don't see the speed rush being an issue for this kid. He's taken to his position in one year very naturally. Fine tuning is all he needs. That is not hard to fix. I've coached linemen before. Not hard to fix.

If they were better they would have started last season. JPW was the 3rd best QB in the SEC behind Stafford/Snead. Losing a veteran QB hurts.. no matter who it is. If McElroy starts.. he's alot like JPW.. he won't lose the game for you (very often, lmao). If Star starts.. I'd expect 3-5 losses.

They had better tools...but JPW was seen as too much of a leader and he had the superior experience. That's why he got the nod. I don't expect Star to start...but I expect him in sketchy situations to throw the defense off pace. Rumor is McElroy already understands the offense just as well (if not better) than JPW. XP is the key right now. Should be fun to see who wins out.

I wouldn't worry about the passing TE part. The run blocking is the difficult part to replace.

As I said...****n Peek is good. At both blocking and as a receiver. Smelley has all offseason to improve upon his skills. TE is not an issue IMO.

I already think Ingram is a better back. Talent wise.. Bama will be better in the backfield next year. They just won't have the truck-sized holes to run through like this last season.

If Fluker starts...you can expect to see similar left side favor like with Andre. Fluker's best aspect is his run blocking and ability to dominate defenders on the ground.

LSU will be far better on defense next year. Especially in the secondary. We've got ridiculous amounts of talent in waiting for the D-line.. i'm more worried about replacing Beckwith (even if he was injured all season)

This seems very optimistic to me...but you know your defense better than I do. From what I see they'll be about the same IMO. Replacing 3 DT's isn't easy. 1 isn't difficult, 2 is sort of tough...3 is pretty difficult. It's possible...but doesn't always work out the way you plan.

I'm not going to lie.. I think Chapman is far better than Cody.

More versatile for sure.

He was just young this year. I didn't think so until I looked at stats. Cody only had 1/2 a sack and 4 TFL.. doesn't matter which one plays more next year -- Bama will have the #2 defense in the league. (I give the edge to UF due to depth)

Well in all fairness...Cody wasn't there to make tackles. In fact, the idea of the DT/NG is basically a defensive blocker. Stuff holes and keep OL's off of your LB's. But I see what you're saying.

If Bama wins against VT.. I see a 2-3 loss season. If they lose against VT.. 3-4 losses. Still a quality year and enough to warrant a preseason top-10 spot for the 2010 season.

With all due respect...your predictions last year were way off for Bama. Pretty off for LSU too.

May I ask who you're counting as Bama's losses are (should they beat VT)?

=T Bone=
01-22-2009, 11:02 PM
With all due respect...your predictions last year were way off for Bama. Pretty off for LSU too.

Lsu and ole miss.

I don't know who else it could be lol

bmy-
01-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I believe Byrd was better than Lafell IMO. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If Lafell had left...you'd be in worse shape for sure.

That's like saying Stover > Julio..

Lafell is probably the best receiver in the SEC. Statistically he was the #2.. and that's with our infamous QB situation.

You must really dislike this kid.

"D.J. Fluker is an anomaly," said Barry Every, a Rivals.com national recruiting analyst. "You just don't see human beings this big [6 feet 7 and 345 pounds] and this athletic."

THAT is a compliment.

I don't see the speed rush being an issue for this kid. He's taken to his position in one year very naturally. Fine tuning is all he needs. That is not hard to fix. I've coached linemen before. Not hard to fix.

I'm just going off what I saw against the best competition he faced. He is an anomaly.. he's freaking huge/fast. He doesn't fare well against the speed rush.. he showed that over and over at the AA camps. He could improve.. but unless he improves drastically he won't be ready as a true frosh. His 2nd year in the system he will be starting and holding his own.

They had better tools...but JPW was seen as too much of a leader and he had the superior experience. That's why he got the nod. I don't expect Star to start...but I expect him in sketchy situations to throw the defense off pace. Rumor is McElroy already understands the offense just as well (if not better) than JPW. XP is the key right now. Should be fun to see who wins out.

Agreed. McElroy will keep the job and manage the game.

This seems very optimistic to me...but you know your defense better than I do. From what I see they'll be about the same IMO. Replacing 3 DT's isn't easy. 1 isn't difficult, 2 is sort of tough...3 is pretty difficult. It's possible...but doesn't always work out the way you plan.

If it wasn't LSU I'd agree.. our depth on the defensive line is ridiculous. We rotated 2-3 deep on the line for the last 2 years. I expect Al Woods to have a huge year (was the #2 DT coming out of highschool in 2006).

Well in all fairness...Cody wasn't there to make tackles. In fact, the idea of the DT/NG is basically a defensive blocker. Stuff holes and keep OL's off of your LB's. But I see what you're saying.

I know. Chapman has a freaking motor though.. which is what Cody lacks.

I expected a few losses. 3 or 4.. not 5. I was way off on Bama.

I think Bama will lose to LSU and Ole Miss (both teams with good speed rushers, :) ). And either the SECCG (if they make it)/bowl game.

iamlegend
01-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Look what happened this year when they were over ranked..7-5 thats what. The fat man had one good year with a joke of a schedule. The Huskers will own the Big 12 North with Bo Pelini as coach. The Blackshirts are back, and I expect them to have the best defense in the Big 12 next year.

How is winning a BCS bowl game a joke of a schedule? You know against the same team that rolled the "black shirts"

Western Michagan, san jose state, new mexico state. Wow, you guys really loaded up. Only to get blown out by the Tigers.

ALPHAMALE419
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
i dont see miami having a first rounder this year but that streak was like 15 or 16 seasons long.....i think miami will b much improved next year but a major contender in 2010....i cant see any reason for them not being a powerhouse if they continue to get players.....im not sold on shannons ability to coach ...their clock management in the bowl game was absurd...ive seen jr high coaches with more of a clue!!!

Calhexas
01-23-2009, 08:15 AM
That's like saying Stover > Julio..

What? How is that the same? lol

Lafell is probably the best receiver in the SEC. Statistically he was the #2.. and that's with our infamous QB situation.

I saw a bit better game out of Byrd when they played Bama...and a few sportswriters seem to think along the same lines as me.

It's just opinion...relax.

I'm just going off what I saw against the best competition he faced. He is an anomaly.. he's freaking huge/fast. He doesn't fare well against the speed rush.. he showed that over and over at the AA camps. He could improve.. but unless he improves drastically he won't be ready as a true frosh. His 2nd year in the system he will be starting and holding his own.

You make it sound like the kid wears cement blocks for shoes. It's not like he has no base at all to build upon. From what [b]I[/i] saw in the AA game, he has a very manageable pass rush technique which is easy to tweak. Holding down the speed rush isn't as hard to teach as people think. Believe me. I've had to do it before to some of the most uncoordinated people I've ever met. A summer should be all it takes if they really focus on this kid.

Agreed. McElroy will keep the job and manage the game.

Let's hope so.

If it wasn't LSU I'd agree.. our depth on the defensive line is ridiculous. We rotated 2-3 deep on the line for the last 2 years. I expect Al Woods to have a huge year (was the #2 DT coming out of highschool in 2006).

Like I said I don't really know LSU through and through. But I find it hard to believe replacing 3 starters on the DL is an easy task. They may pull it off...but getting 3 backups to improve to the level of the guys that clearly were better than them as those 3 started is difficult no matter how you look at it. I never said it was impossible...just difficult.

I know. Chapman has a freaking motor though.. which is what Cody lacks.

Well he carries about 70lbs less. lol

I expected a few losses. 3 or 4.. not 5. I was way off on Bama.

I think Bama will lose to LSU and Ole Miss (both teams with good speed rushers, :) ). And either the SECCG (if they make it)/bowl game.

Well we'll have to see. I expect Bama to beat LSU...have no clue about Ole Miss. Not sure how good of shape their line is in with them losing Oher. Similar situation as Bama. Bama needs to develop a speed rusher in the off season to exploit a fresh OL.

I think LSU's main concern should be UF. With everyone returning on their defense and some key returners on offense (Timmy)...that could be a tough game for sure. I think it's a home game for LSU though...if so that should help a bit. They do have to travel to Tusc/Oxford when playing Bama/OleMiss. This could be trouble for them IMO. Those games will pretty much determine the SEC west IMO. Both are away. Both against good teams.

Cramerica
01-23-2009, 08:25 AM

THAT is a compliment.

Didn't Fluker receive some (actually he got quite a few) award at the Army Bowl for most agile or athletic? I think the point was that he's actually much better at the speed rush than they thought.

heidt410
01-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Big East:

#21 USF

lol

bmy-
01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Didn't Fluker receive some (actually he got quite a few) award at the Army Bowl for most agile or athletic? I think the point was that he's actually much better at the speed rush than they thought.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/828218.html

Pretty much backs up what I said. Watch the video posted.. it's 3 series of his play from the Army game and read the scouts take.

He mentions he's better suited for Guard if he wants to have an impact within the first few years.

drmmrRT
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Before you make comments like this, look at who they are losing... thanks

You're not one of those "Utah should be the National Champ" guys are you?

how many games did they lose

AFOX
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
How is winning a BCS bowl game a joke of a schedule? You know against the same team that rolled the "black shirts"

Western Michagan, san jose state, new mexico state. Wow, you guys really loaded up. Only to get blown out by the Tigers.

I'm not saying you guys didn't have a good team, but you would not have even been in the BCS if you had even played one of the powers in the Big 12 South. But you guys had almost evryone back in 08-09, and you were exposed as over-rated ,when you actually played some good teams. You're offensive and defensive lines are a complete joke. Reesing almost got killed(5 sacks) by a Blackshirt defense that Bo had to fill with walk-ons because of lack of depth. Bo redshirted over 50 players this year, and with Suh back, Reesing will be sacked all day long next year.
Also, how is losing 35-30 to VT getting rolled? I hope Kansas stays competitive, because NU-KU fans are actually really friendly to each other, unlike CU and MU.

Calhexas
01-23-2009, 01:22 PM
http://recruiting.scout.com/2/828218.html

Pretty much backs up what I said. Watch the video posted.. it's 3 series of his play from the Army game and read the scouts take.

He mentions he's better suited for Guard if he wants to have an impact within the first few years.

Not an impressive pass play drive...but there are a lot of differences between Smith and Fluker. Namely the size.

Smith came in at 315ish...Fluker is already 350. Smith bulked to 355 for his first game. He was noticeably slower at this time too.

The first the the staff should do is focus on Fluker's conditioning and speed to get his weight down. This will improve his mobility and natural ability to make the block on a pass rush. I recognize that Bob is pretty much an elite level scout...but in all honesty Fluker's issues are not unmanageable. I wouldn't be opposed to using him as an interior lineman where his sheer size will count for a lot. Tyler Love could easily be developed into a good LT should Fluker not come along the way they want him to in order to fill in for Smith.

An appropriate and effective lineup from left to right would be Love, Fluker, Cardwell, Johnson, Davis.

Davis and Love could easily flip as could Fluker and Johnson. I would imagine they would try to create a strong side/quick side like last year too.

bmy-
01-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Not an impressive pass play drive...but there are a lot of differences between Smith and Fluker. Namely the size.

Smith came in at 315ish...Fluker is already 350. Smith bulked to 355 for his first game. He was noticeably slower at this time too.

The first the the staff should do is focus on Fluker's conditioning and speed to get his weight down. This will improve his mobility and natural ability to make the block on a pass rush. I recognize that Bob is pretty much an elite level scout...but in all honesty Fluker's issues are not unmanageable. I wouldn't be opposed to using him as an interior lineman where his sheer size will count for a lot. Tyler Love could easily be developed into a good LT should Fluker not come along the way they want him to in order to fill in for Smith.

An appropriate and effective lineup from left to right would be Love, Fluker, Cardwell, Johnson, Davis.

Davis and Love could easily flip as could Fluker and Johnson. I would imagine they would try to create a strong side/quick side like last year too.

That was every play from 3 offensive series. I just posted that to show he's extremely raw. I agree with the scout when he says that he would be able to have a more immediate impact at guard. I could honestly see him playing DT too.. if Bama was worried about immediate impact. He's a project for sure on offense.

I could even see him being moved to RT for a season or so. It's less difficult and would allow him to get reps from day one. Best case scenario for Bama (imo).. he plays RT/LG.

Calhexas
01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
That was every play from 3 offensive series. I just posted that to show he's extremely raw. I agree with the scout when he says that he would be able to have a more immediate impact at guard. I could honestly see him playing DT too.. if Bama was worried about immediate impact. He's a project for sure on offense.

I could even see him being moved to RT for a season or so. It's less difficult and would allow him to get reps from day one. Best case scenario for Bama (imo).. he plays RT/Left guard.

I'm sure they'll make the right decision. I've met him...good kid. If I feel like he's not an intimidating fix, I don't see how the OL coach or Saban could. He's got some rough edges for sure...but understand that this was pretty much his first year being primarily LT. Andre had been playing offense his entire high school career. It'll take a bit of time, but DJ has such raw ability I don't see it being a problem.

Either way I'm sure the coaching staff will handle it just fine.

bmy-
01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm sure they'll make the right decision. I've met him...good kid. If I feel like he's not an intimidating fix, I don't see how the OL coach or Saban could. He's got some rough edges for sure...but understand that this was pretty much his first year being primarily LT. Andre had been playing offense his entire high school career. It'll take a bit of time, but DJ has such raw ability I don't see it being a problem.

Either way I'm sure the coaching staff will handle it just fine.

Exactly. Says leaps and bounds about his athleticism that he would have been ranked a top-5 DT too.

SwagMorris
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
We're discussing the SEC here...you know we expect nothing but excellence here.

You must get let down a lot then.

GoldBlue
01-23-2009, 02:19 PM

We'll know how good Miami is after Oklahoma visits Miami during OOC games.

bmy-
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Not in the current era of football. Sorry :)

EDIT: Or historically. Btw Calhexas.. I saw an interesting tidbit just a few minutes ago. Every starting defensive linemen for LSU (since 2001) has been drafted.

Calhexas
01-23-2009, 07:45 PM

Umm...what? lol

ChefPhalBignuts
01-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Umm...what? lol

I don't understand that either... Maybe he was talking to himself?

GABull
01-27-2009, 09:46 PM

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. LSU
6. Virginia Tech
7. Ohio State
8. Alabama
9. Boise State
10. Oklahoma State
11. Ga Tech
12. Ole Miss
13. Cal
14. FL State
15. Penn State
16. Kansas
17. Oregon
18. Georgia
19. Iowa
20. TCU
21. USF
22. Utah
23. Notre Dame
24. Oregon State
25. North Carolina

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=902748

check out comments as to why teams are ranked the way they are.

Obviously new recruits haven't been taken into account. Freshmen can really make a team though.

Comments? Thoughts?

I know it's early...but come on...you all know you're ready for it to happen all over again.

First off Ole Miss needs to switch places with Boise in that top 10. Nebraska needs to be in that top 25 over Notre Dame

TanTORNADO
01-27-2009, 09:48 PM
THANKS for showing ole miss some love

HOTTTTY TODDDDDY

fivas15
01-27-2009, 09:50 PM
First off Ole Miss needs to switch places with Boise in that top 10. Nebraska needs to be in that top 25 over Notre Dame

Boise isn't losing anybody but Ian Johnson. TCU and Boise will both go undefeated, you mad?

=T Bone=
01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Boise isn't losing anybody but Ian Johnson. TCU and Boise will both go undefeated, you mad?

I'm pretty sure Wofford could go 12-0 with a schedule like tcu's
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2009_schedules/tcu.htm

And boise state wont beat Oregon. Bet on it

fivas15
01-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Wofford could go 12-0 with a schedule like tcu's
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2009_schedules/tcu.htm

And boise state wont beat Oregon. Bet on it

I believe Utah plays Oregon this year too. Along with Louisville.

=T Bone=
01-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I believe Utah plays Oregon this year too. Along with Louisville.

Utah plays some tough Ooc

Sep. 5 Utah State
Sep. 12 at San Jose State
Sep. 19 at Oregon
Sep. 26 Louisville
TBA Air Force
TBA Wyoming
TBA New Mexico
TBA San Diego State
TBA at UNLV
TBA at Colorado State
TBA at TCU
TBA at Brigham Young

I dont think you guys will go 13-0 next year ;)

fivas15
01-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Utah plays some tough Ooc

Sep. 5 Utah State
Sep. 12 at San Jose State
Sep. 19 at Oregon
Sep. 26 Louisville
TBA Air Force
TBA Wyoming
TBA New Mexico
TBA San Diego State
TBA at UNLV
TBA at Colorado State
TBA at TCU
TBA at Brigham Young

I dont think you guys will go 13-0 next year ;)

Me either.

At San Jose St
At Oregon
At BYU
At TCU

If we go undefeated = NCG

alea35
01-28-2009, 05:17 AM
i see VT being in the title game this year. looking at their schedule, the only opponent i see giving them a real challenge is bama, then maybe (and i stress maybe) GT and the U.

Cramerica
01-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Me either.

At San Jose St
At Oregon
At BYU
At TCU

If we go undefeated = NCG

Just an FYI, I believe we (FSU) get to play BYU as part of our outer-conference schedule in '09.

AFOX
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
i see VT being in the title game this year. looking at their schedule, the only opponent i see giving them a real challenge is bama, then maybe (and i stress maybe) GT and the U.

Nebraska will give VT all they can handle. We should have beat them this year, with a defense loaded with walkons. We will be breaking in a new QB, but with Suh comming back, our d-line will be in Taylors face all game long. Bo Pelini is the best defensive coach in the country IMO.

fivas15
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Just an FYI, I believe we (FSU) get to play BYU as part of our outer-conference schedule in '09.

Yes, you do.

SwagMorris
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Yup and I'm getting tickets to it. Go Noles!

yes ACC homer

fivas15
01-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Yup and I'm getting tickets to it. Go Noles!

yes ACC homer

I thought you didn't live in Utah anymore?

SwagMorris
01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I thought you didn't live in Utah anymore?

Moving back this summer. Have to finish school still. And I drove 9 hours for the Wake/BYu game earlier this month.

fivas15
01-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Moving back this summer. Have to finish school still. And I drove 9 hours for the Wake/BYu game earlier this month.

Jesus fu.ck.

alea35
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Nebraska will give VT all they can handle. We should have beat them this year, with a defense loaded with walkons. We will be breaking in a new QB, but with Suh comming back, our d-line will be in Taylors face all game long. Bo Pelini is the best defensive coach in the country IMO.

imo VT will improve more this year than nebraska does. i just don't see nebraska being good enough this year, maybe in 2 years.