PDA

View Full Version : Calories Calories Calories

BSJ1000
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
This is just one of those curiousity questions...

If I eat 2k calories a day, and burn 3k, then I am in a calorie defecit and will have either burned off some fat, muscle, or both.

Now given that people say you need to eat the same amount of calories on rest days as on workout days, why wont I get extra fat if I eat 3k calories on my off day, but only burn 2k since I dont workout?

Once again, I am not trying to make a diet plan off your responses, I am just curious as to how this works.

ezrollin
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM
just eat 400 more on workout days, 400 less on off days.
simple

determined4000
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
in a 1000 deficit u will burn muscle

BSJ1000
01-16-2009, 10:43 PM

I am not actually eating like this. I am asking a hypothetical question and asking why arent we supposed to cut calories on non-workout days.

JDkeystone
01-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Why's that?

Simmo0508
01-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Now given that people say you need to eat the same amount of calories on rest days as on workout days

Yeah i'd disagree with those "people" then.

A lot of blokes lessen their intake on off days in order to compensate the lesser amount of energy expended that day. Usually in the form of cutting off carbs and a bit of fat from one of the usual meals. Protein's often kept at the same level.

So it evens itself out better that way. Eat for how active you're gonna be for that specific day, and for your recovery obviously.

BSJ1000
01-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Yeah i'd disagree with those "people" then.

A lot of blokes lessen their intake on off days in order to compensate the lesser amount of energy expended that day. Usually in the form of cutting off carbs and a bit of fat from one of the usual meals. Protein's often kept at the same level.

So it evens itself out better that way. Eat for how active you're gonna be for that specific day, and for your recovery obviously.

OK, that sounds better. Eating 50g of fat and 240g of carbs on a day where I am gunna sit aroung with the girlfriend and watch movies, doesnt sound exactly right to me.

ezrollin
01-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Why's that?

are you serious or sarcastic?

Laxer311
01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
If your taking in 2000cals and buring 3000cals your net is -1000cals. (I know your not doing that) What should really happen is your net should be the same for each day. EX- Workout Days- Eat 3000cals Burn 500cals your net is 2500 cals (assuming thats what your trying it hit) On off days you just eat 2500 cals. The reason its necessary to eat the same amount is because your body repairs and recovers on your off days not so much your lift days. You need to supply it with the same nutrients to do that.

JDkeystone
01-17-2009, 05:53 PM
are you serious or sarcastic?

Serious, I want to hear his reasoning behind this answer. "Healthy" weight loss is normally said to be, what, 1-2lbs a week? That's what I've been losing since I started last summer. Losing 2lbs a week = 1000 cal deficit a day. My bf% has also gone down consistently during this time, so I know I have been losing actual body fat and not muscle (or at least, minimal muscle anyway). But I also lift weights 2x a week, and keep my protein intake as high as possible.

But this was why I asked him to expand on his answer, cuz to read it simply as "a 1000 calorie deficit will burn muscle" doesn't sound correct (unless other factors are involved in the equation)...:confused: