PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ever have blood in the stool?

mac520
01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Most of the time, I have blood in my stool. Does anyone else ever get this? I never had it until I started getting serious about lifting and eating. I wonder if there is something wrong with my diet. People tell me it's because I don't eat enough fruits or vegetables, but I get plenty of fiber -- at least 30-40g a day from all the pasta, bread, and oats I consume. I usually eat two bananas and a handful of carrots a day, but I usually avoid fruits and vegetables because they are expensive relative to the number of calories they provide. They also don't seem to provide any useful vitamins I can't get from a pill.

The blood doesn't hurt, although I have also developed a strong pain tolerance in that region. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Has been happening on and off for the past 4 months.

TikiCabales
01-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe you have an Ulcer - you should go see a doctor.

wave_length
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
doctor

bodydropcris
01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
The blood doesn't hurt, although I have also developed a strong pain tolerance in that region.

interesting...

Dave P
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Its most likely hemorrhoids.

The stool would be black if it was an ulcer.

Wtf?
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Its most likely hemorrhoids..

Fact. Google it.

Do you strain and push ? That's usually how they're caused.

tweaked17
01-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Would getting medical advice from BB.com really put your mind at ease?

If you have insurance, get to the damn doctor. In the meantime, black/tarry blood = upper GI bleed likely; bright red = colon/rectum.

THE_TRUTH86
01-16-2009, 04:37 PM
i did when i was low low carbing it

Wtf?
01-16-2009, 04:38 PM
interesting...

More like too much information.

bodydropcris
01-16-2009, 04:41 PM
if you are on rippetoes, you might have blown your ******* out squatting and deadlifting 3x a week?

mac520
01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Would getting medical advice from BB.com really put your mind at ease?

If you have insurance, get to the damn doctor. In the meantime, black/tarry blood = upper GI bleed likely; bright red = colon/rectum.

Well I decided to come here because I was curious if other people have the same problem since it didn't start for me until after I began to take strength training seriously.

tweaked17
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Well I decided to come here because I was curious if other people have the same problem since it didn't start for me until after I began to take strength training seriously.

Dave is right in suggesting hemorrhoids (given your age). I think someone mentioned it, but you shouldn't be "forcing" anything.

You should still get to the doctor if it continues. Unfortunately, if it's just hemorrhoids, he or she is just going to tell you to eat fiber, drink plenty of water, and maybe even avoid heavy lifting for a while.

jbrowncbr
01-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't wanna know why you have developed a strong pain tolerance in that region. Are you constapated? If you are it could be causing a tear in your colon/rectum. If that's the case start taking a fiber supplement like metamucil. Like others have said go to the Dr. if you can. It's not a normal side effect of strength training.

Rathryan16
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
You could have colitis. Google it. Its essentially a stomach ulcer disease. Do you feel like you need to **** but only a drop of blood comes out?

reefpicker
01-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Well, then curiosity satisfied: No, it is not common. You have to go see a doctor today. Not tomorrow, not yesterday, today!

To ease your mind a bit, I agree that this is most likely hemorrhoids. A good way of telling is that the blood is bright red, it is outside of the feces like a streak of blood, and you may have had some pain there sometime earlier in the month. Perhaps, you are not eating enough fiber.

However, any amount of coagulated blood, dark blood, and large amounts of blood, are signs of serious issues. You are young, so I doubt that serious here means anything bad, but you do not want to be loosing blood like that. Again, you are young so most likely what you have is fixable. Go to a doctor. Thats just the best advice anyone can give you! Go today!!! Don't delay!!!

ivoryce
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, then curiosity satisfied: No, it is not common. You have to go see a doctor today. Not tomorrow, not yesterday, today!

To ease your mind a bit, I agree that this is most likely hemorrhoids. A good way of telling is that the blood is bright red, it is outside of the feces like a streak of blood, and you may have had some pain there sometime earlier in the month. Perhaps, you are not eating enough fiber.

However, any amount of coagulated blood, dark blood, and large amounts of blood, are signs of serious issues. You are young, so I doubt that serious here means anything bad, but you do not want to be loosing blood like that. Again, you are young so most likely what you have is fixable. Go to a doctor. Thats just the best advice anyone can give you! Go today!!! Don't delay!!!

reefpicker is absolutely right. Your doctor is gonna wanna know if it's frank blood (bright red) or if the blood is darker in color. Remember that even a drop of blood can color the toilet water making it look like a look... Check it out, if it's a lot of blood go to emerg. If it's bright blood there's a good likelihood it's hemorrhoids. If it's darker blood you definitely need to go see your physician. Darker blood indicates bleeding in your colon and can be a symptom of many things. If you do decide to visit your doctor let him know of any other symptoms that might be related: any cramping, pain, bloating, gas, lethargy, nausea, etc. This will help him name an initial diagnosis.

ivoryce
01-16-2009, 10:37 PM
One more thing, if this is a new thing since starting your training and the blood is frank it would indicate hemorrhoids. You can get this from straining and if you shouldnt be straining to this degree when lifting. Lift at your ability and build from there.

lateralus87
01-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Spending too much time on the ****ty seats most stationary bikes have caused hemorrhoids for me. It's the most likely thing but you really should go to a doctor to be sure.

NDame616
01-17-2009, 04:47 AM
My dogs sometimes do. But they eat raw chicken and a bone sometimes doesn't digest properly. However, they seem ok. After they poop they still run around my yard and have fun.

Yes, my response was ridicilous but so is the fact that people are posting serious medical issues on a body building website. Asking 19 year olds to critique your diet is one thing, but getting advice about serious medical conditions is another thing.

What next:
"I have a blinding pain in the back of my head, is it because I eat too much fruit?"
"My leg snapped in half after getting run over by a car. I'm thinking I take a week off from squatting?"

dempsey_124
01-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Most of the time, I have blood in my stool. Does anyone else ever get this? I never had it until I started getting serious about lifting and eating. I wonder if there is something wrong with my diet. People tell me it's because I don't eat enough fruits or vegetables, but I get plenty of fiber -- at least 30-40g a day from all the pasta, bread, and oats I consume. I usually eat two bananas and a handful of carrots a day, but I usually avoid fruits and vegetables because they are expensive relative to the number of calories they provide. They also don't seem to provide any useful vitamins I can't get from a pill.

The blood doesn't hurt, although I have also developed a strong pain tolerance in that region. Is this something I should be concerned about?

fruit and vegetables are cheap to buy, and u would rather pop a pill then consume proper nutrious food. ur an idoit lol u cant be seroius about bb then? do u strain to get the last bits of poo out?

PeterPapas
01-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Obviously its not normal to have blood in your stool dude. I had it a couple of times and visited the doctor immediately. Told me since it was bright red nothing to worry about considering my age to. If it continues I needed to go back but I never had that problem again. In your case go to the doctor.

Wtf?
01-17-2009, 08:18 AM
My dogs sometimes do. But they eat raw chicken and a bone sometimes doesn't digest properly. However, they seem ok. After they poop they still run around my yard and have fun.

Yes, my response was ridicilous but so is the fact that people are posting serious medical issues on a body building website. Asking 19 year olds to critique your diet is one thing, but getting advice about serious medical conditions is another thing.

What next:
"I have a blinding pain in the back of my head, is it because I eat too much fruit?"
"My leg snapped in half after getting run over by a car. I'm thinking I take a week off from squatting?"

My dogs eat raw too. Too much bone can cause constipation/hard stools and if they're gulpers, they swallow big pieces of bone that scrapes their colon.

lulz@your post though.

SDC77
01-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Doctor. Now.

mac520
01-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Here's the strange thing. I drink plenty of water and I eat tons of fiber, somewhere in the range of 30-50g a day.

Also, I don't have to strain at all. I push lightly, nowhere close to my 1RM. Sometimes I push harder than I need to because I like making it come out faster (I am in and out of the bathroom in less than 2 minutes). I know some people who sit on the toilet for up to 30 minutes. I would rather just shoot it out like a cannon ball and get it over with. Maybe that could be why I'm straining so hard? Although I can't tell what exactly straining too hard means since I have a fairly strong PC muscle (I can stop the flow of my urine) and I am also very flexible in that region and can pass stools up to 3" in diameter. Minimum diameter is around 1.5" (though this is all just an estimate from eyeballing).

There is no pain associated with the bleeding, it's just bleeding. Sort of like how when you cut yourself with a knife so sharp you don't even feel it and you don't even realize you cut yourself until you notice blood and wonder where it came from.

The blood is bright red, meaning it's probably harmless. If it's just hermorrhoids or an anal fissure, I don't want to go to the doctor just to have him repeat the same mantra, "Drink water, eat fiber"

bodydropcris
01-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I am also very flexible in that region and can pass stools up to 3" in diameter. Minimum diameter is around 1.5" (though this is all just an estimate from eyeballing).

how many courics would you say your record is?

eccoblaster
01-17-2009, 04:38 PM
it aint nothing major trust me. Dont worry you just need to go toilet more. frequently. Because you eat allot the stool gets bigger. This causes blood on it.

Dr. Horse
01-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Some ridiculous posts in this thread.

Probably hemorrhoids, but you should go see your doc.

Opies
01-17-2009, 04:47 PM
it aint nothing major trust me. Dont worry you just need to go toilet more. frequently. Because you eat allot the stool gets bigger. This causes blood on it.

worst. advice. EVER

oegallegos
03-09-2017, 12:10 PM
It's very curious, but since about one year ago, I started to have blood in the stool ONLY when I drink protein powder, easy like that, I drink, I bleed, I stop drinking, my bleeding stops. I don't have any idea why it happens this, the most curious thing is that there's one brand of protein powder which I don't bleed with. I've been trying with four different brands, one of them itīs beef protein, and I bleed with three of them.