PDA

View Full Version : Should I have a refeed day on this diet, is the diet even safe?

BSpel55
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm 6'7, 256lbs., trying to get to 230-235 range.

I need 4,300 calories to maintain.

To cut the weight, I've been eating 1,800-2,000 range. Yesterday I had 1,804 calories, 49.9g fat, 68g carbs (over half from my protein supplement), 237g protein.

I'm not used to dieting in addition to working out, and its killing me. I just wanted to make sure my diet looked good and whether or not I should include a refeed/cheat day.

Thanks for the help!

JurassicMass
01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm 6'7, 256lbs., trying to get to 230-235 range.

I need 4,300 calories to maintain.

To cut the weight, I've been eating 1,800-2,000 range. Yesterday I had 1,804 calories, 49.9g fat, 68g carbs (over half from my protein supplement), 237g protein.

I'm not used to dieting in addition to working out, and its killing me. I just wanted to make sure my diet looked good and whether or not I should include a refeed/cheat day.

Thanks for the help!

Usually it is best go 500 calories under maintenance.

You should be taking in 3,800 calories. Right now, your calories are way too low, which is probably why working out is so hard right now.

Just get at least 1g/lb of protein, moderate carbs, and moderate healthy fats. As you gradually lower your calories down the road then you might have to lower carbs and increase fats, but you don't have to worry about that now.

Also, IMO refeeds should be used when you get to low bodyfat levels. I usually go by feel though, so if your energy levels suck during a workout or your muscles look flat, try a small refeed and see how your body reacts. Just don't go crazy, keep it fairly clean.

Good luck!

BSpel55
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I've started reading some of the Keto threads. I doubt I could be as dedicated as some of those people, but I'm starting to think that's essentially what I've been going for.

I don't want Low Fat, Low Carb, because it would suck to destroy my muscle and not lose the belly. I think that's starting to happen, and I dealt with that when I took way too much Adderol a few years ago and went from 280 to 200 in 3 months. I also lost every inch of muscle and definition I had, so when I bounced back I was worse than before.

The problem I'm having I guess is its hard to find good foods that are high in Fat and Protein. Cheese is (not shredded/processed, talking about wheel style), eggs, peanut butter is good for fat but also has carbs.

I mean, I'm not fat. At least I don't look it. My BMI is near 30 which I don't understand, its just the thighs/belly/love handles that need to go away and I will be fine.

I dunno, I just want to drop weight so I can start building muscle quickly.

Corey484
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Usually it is best go 500 calories under maintenance.

You should be taking in 3,800 calories. Right now, your calories are way too low, which is probably why working out is so hard right now.

^^this

BSpel55
01-15-2009, 12:24 PM
^^this
But won't that take me forever to lose weight? Cutting 500 would make me lose 1/7th pound per day, which means that to get to my goal it would take over 6 months...

Corey484
01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
But won't that take me forever to lose weight? Cutting 500 would make me lose 1/7th pound per day, which means that to get to my goal it would take over 6 months...

and that would be 1 pound per week, which MANY people recommend for loosing weight on here. If you don't like it then lower the calories and watch some of your muscle disappear with the weight. It's as easy as that.

BTW, also if you like lowered recovery times, lack of energy and lowered metabolism then you MIGHT get that too. But it's YOUR body and this is just MY opinion

BSpel55
01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Can anyone recommend fat/carb/protein splits then? I'm already eating 1g of protein/lb, I don't see how I can double my calories without eating any more protein and not a lot more carbs...

I seriously need advice about that.

Corey484
01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Can anyone recommend fat/carb/protein splits then? I'm already eating 1g of protein/lb, I don't see how I can double my calories without eating any more protein and not a lot more carbs...

I seriously need advice about that.

What about a protein/carb/fat split of like 30/40/30 and then adjusting a little bit higher or lower with the carbs and fat as wanted?

Also did you figure out your maintanence calories by counting calories and seeing where you stop gaining/loosing weight or did you figure that out from an online calculator?