PDA

View Full Version : Alchohol.

PHEARD0NE
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
just a general question in regard to alchohol.

what delays/side effects /changes to my progress would i see drinking ~4-5 beers a day on my off days (avg 3.5 days a week seeing as i have an interesting work schedule) so... 16-17 drinks a week. other then that i am watching what i eat and other wise stay close to my goals. i am bulking.

i have not read anything in particular about alchohol yet, more specifically beer, so i thought i would ask here.

any advice is greately appreshiated.

EDIT: and as i post this i see a thread below labeled BEER /facepalm, oh well feel free to post if you'd like.

A_Hard_Rain
01-14-2009, 12:56 PM
i'd say 16-17 is a bit much, but i'd be a bit of a hypocrite lol. beer is just empty calories pretty much, i know it's like 67 calories roughly for the average amount of alcohol in a beer or 80 proof shot. stick with light beers if you're going to drink, miller lite is 100 calories and the new miller beer is like 66 calories or something but probably tastes like water lol. i stick with liquor myself just because it's lower calories and it gets you drunk quicker.

Opies
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
1) You're going to make **** for gains drinking 17s beer a week.
2) Off days are the most important days for growth, drinking alcohol causes your body to STOP everything, and focus on getting rid of the poison you just ingested.
3) Alcohol dehydrates you. A dehydrated body, is a poorly functioning body.
4) Not only is alcohol empty calories, but the beer you are drinking is loaded with carbs / sugar.
5) if you want to make solid gains, cut drinking down to 1 day every 3-4 weeks

manofmany
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
2) Off days are the most important days for growth, drinking alcohol causes your body to STOP everything, and focus on getting rid of the poison you just ingested.
4) Not only is alcohol empty calories, but the beer you are drinking is loaded with carbs / sugar.

I'd love to know what you base these statements off of? I drink that much and sometimes more weekly and have only been growing and getting stronger. Sounds like your feeding into some BS you've read from someone.

wave_length
01-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Health wise it would probably not be good to drink that much, the negative effect on your bodybuilding however will be insignificant as long as your lifting is not negatively influenced by it.

skarotum
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
I'd love to know what you base these statements off of? I drink that much and sometimes more weekly and have only been growing and getting stronger. Sounds like your feeding into some BS you've read from someone.

I must agree from personal experience as well. Not proud though. lol

bigcityboy
01-14-2009, 01:14 PM
It's not going to ruin your overall gains as for calories I started substituting beer for all of the High cal weight gainers I was using. 1 quart of beer gives Me a good buzz or 1 glass of wine. Offcourse I've killed a 12 pack on severall occasions. Burp! But you just need to be carefull that you don't walk around drunk all of the time because that could be a problem.
I hope this helps.

PHEARD0NE
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
It's not going to ruin your overall gains as for calories I started substituting beer for all of the High cal weight gainers I was using. 1 quart of beer gives Me a good buzz or 1 glass of wine. Offcourse I've killed a 12 pack on severall occasions. Burp! But you just need to be carefull that you don't walk around drunk all of the time because that could be a problem.
I hope this helps.

walking around drunk is not a problem, im the calm drunk guy that walks around and makes jokes about deficating on bears in the woods and such. i dont usually stir **** up. =P im more concerned about nutrition and any setbacks to my workout and how i can make up for them.

A_Hard_Rain
01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
walking around drunk is not a problem, im the calm drunk guy that walks around and makes jokes about deficating on bears in the woods and such. i dont usually stir **** up. =P im more concerned about nutrition and any setbacks to my workout and how i can make up for them.

drinking shouldn't hurt you much at all, moderation is the key just like anything. do some cardio the day after drinking if you feel like you need to make up for it.

ryanr623
01-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Agreed, I hear all this bad stuff about drinking, and maybe it slightly lowers your gains, but my brother got Huge in 3 months and he drank everyday. Have fun, life isn ALL about bodybuilding. I think as long as you dont drink the same day as you work out the loss of gains will be minimal.

Flex500
01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
just a general question in regard to alchohol.

what delays/side effects /changes to my progress would i see drinking ~4-5 beers a day on my off days (avg 3.5 days a week seeing as i have an interesting work schedule) so... 16-17 drinks a week. other then that i am watching what i eat and other wise stay close to my goals. i am bulking.

i have not read anything in particular about alchohol yet, more specifically beer, so i thought i would ask here.

any advice is greately appreshiated.

EDIT: and as i post this i see a thread below labeled BEER /facepalm, oh well feel free to post if you'd like.
probably not that great for general health but yeah you can make great gains if you keep things in check.

I pretty much binge drank 3-4 days a week drinking at least 12+ drinks per night in college for 3 years and that included during track season or when I was competing in bbing competitions.

In reality that will only add say 2,000 calories a week to your diet. It's really not THAT much if you slightly cut back on some food or increase your workout a bit.

I preferred beer as a post workout drinkin college though not on my days off.

Neopragmatist
01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
HERE (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1) is a good read.

PHEARD0NE
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
HERE (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1) is a good read.

nice article and by aragon to boot. you, sir, get +1 cool points.

Creelmbd
01-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I personally drink quite often but I haven't noticed that it affects my gains. I have done one month no drinking and the gains were about equal to all my months gain average. I think this would be something that definitely depends on the person though.

hooked4life
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
holy sh!t a booz thread!

good thing we have one of these, i know it's one everyone's mind, but we never seem to talk about it.

thank you op.

Viking1983
01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
A lot of people are talking about alcohol effects on a bulk it seems? What about during a cut?

PHEARD0NE
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
A lot of people are talking about alcohol effects on a bulk it seems? What about during a cut?

well cutting seems obvious, you're reducing cals/day so keep beer in check like the rest of the stuff you eat during a cut and you'll be fine.. or at least one's sane mind so suggests.

bulk = more cals alloted = more beer = more alchohol and more alchohol iss? ( well thats the purpose of this topic)

Colossal Spoons
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM

This. Repped.

PHEARD0NE
01-14-2009, 03:53 PM

This. Repped.

Many different opinions from seemingly reputable sources, who to trust? is there some kind of "hey-this-guy-is-talking-out-of-his-ass" guideline i can follow? i have to admit that everything in moderation sounds kind of good, then again my sense of moderation is not exactly most popular.

BookMonkey
01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Why is no one talking about liver damage?

Act Brolic
01-14-2009, 11:50 PM
alcohol has abosolutely no positive effects on your body. now its up to you to decide wether to drink it or not, and if so, how much to drink.

F.A.M.E.
01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Drinking 3 times a week is just suicidal to your results man.

Rich30N90W
01-15-2009, 09:22 AM
I personally drink quite often but I haven't noticed that it affects my gains. I have done one month no drinking and the gains were about equal to all my months gain average. I think this would be something that definitely depends on the person though.

I'm in the process of trying this - January will be dry, whereas Oct-Dec was once a week drinkfest. I've been losing a pound a week or so, but I'm curious how January goes, if there is a measurable difference. I can cut back drinking from weekly to monthly for a few months IF it's worth it. I just love my tripel ales too much to give them up completely

dtg
01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I think 16-17 is fine, thats about 2 beers a day...I think of it this way, construction workers are typically in pretty good shape and those guys drink beer all day/night long...

BookMonkey
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I think 16-17 is fine, thats about 2 beers a day...I think of it this way, construction workers are typically in pretty good shape and those guys drink beer all day/night long...

2 a day wouldn't be bad, but the OP said his frequency is more like 4 a day every other day. Which is better than me. Last night I had 9+ shots of tequila.