PDA

View Full Version : Rays lineup in 2009, second best in AL east.

IraHays
01-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Iwamura
Crawford
Upton
Pena
Longoria
Burrell
M. Joyce
Navarro
Bartlett

4 30+HR guys. Great speed. I think they edge the Red Sox.

Still behind the Yankees and their sick (but hopefully underachieving) lineup.

edit: (in before sweettouch)

jkeithc82
01-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Iwamura
Crawford
Upton
Pena
Longoria
Burrell
M. Joyce
Navarro
Bartlett

Who are they going with as closer? Is Percival healthy?

KingCanuck
01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Yankees > Rays > Sox

Rays will probably get the wildcard.

IraHays
01-06-2009, 08:04 AM

They say they are waiting to see if Percival gets back.

I hope they don't, Percival is done.

I was hoping the Rays would have made a play for Fuentes.

Imo, they will more then likely start the season with Wheeler at closer.

jkeithc82
01-06-2009, 08:10 AM

He was both rewarding and frustrating in fantasy last season. He started off doing very well but the hamstring plagued him several times that he really couldn't be counted on. I ended up going out and dealing for Joe Nathan. :D

JuicintheJuice
01-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Yankees > Rays > Sox

Rays will probably get the wildcard.

Rays > Yankees > Sox

Yanks will get the wildcard. I'm still not convinced the yankees will dominate.

SweetTouch
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM

Is the Yankees lineup really going to be much better in '09? Texiera's numbers from last year aren't that much better than HGHiambi's were, and the Yankees haven't made many other, if any, improvements.

Negatron617
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
maybe they overachieved last year.....people will figure out how to pitch to longoria better.....pena is inconsistant and one year is on fire and the next a regular dude. crawford always does his thing long as hes healthy. navarro and iwamura arent the best hitters but i think they are clutch and you need those guys. they may be great they may not be. but youve been watching the yankees for a while and you saw how mighty the tigers paper lineup was last year. i cant really tell. if you go by names the yankees would have won every year this millenium barring injuries. worry about your pitching. thats what got you far last year.

Big_Austin
01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Iwamura
Crawford
Upton
Pena
Longoria
Burrell
M. Joyce
Navarro
Bartlett

edit: (in before sweettouch)

you gotta mix that lineup up a little better...itll be easy to pitch to if you leave it like that

iwamura
upton
crawford
longoria
pena
burell
joyce
navarro
bartlett

they are going with joe nelson as closer if percival is not ready for the 09' season

Big_Austin
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
maybe they overachieved last year.....people will figure out how to pitch to longoria better.....pena is inconsistant and one year is on fire and the next a regular dude. crawford always does his thing long as hes healthy. navarro and iwamura arent the best hitters but i think they are clutch and you need those guys. they may be great they may not be. but youve been watching the yankees for a while and you saw how mighty the tigers paper lineup was last year. i cant really tell. if you go by names the yankees would have won every year this millenium barring injuries. worry about your pitching. thats what got you far last year.

the rays are going to suffer this year .. kazmir and shields are underachievers/injuries waiting to happen especially kazmir..i would be careful with shields as well...the rays rotation lacks certainty..david price is a rookie...andy sonnastine has gotten rocked by the big offense teams

the only pitcher on the rays that im confident will have a repeat/good year is garza..and that includes the bullpen besides balfour

as for the red sox...there lineup needs another bat as ortiz is fading and you have a bunch of youngsters coming off great years that are unlikely to repeat (youkilis, pedroia)..lester looked great last year but the years before that were not, although this couldve been a breakout season id be leary...beckett is an injury risk although dominant when healthy..matsuzaka will not repeat sorry sox fans he walks too many and has too high of a WHIP to be consistently good

the yankees need one more solid inningseater starter to have a "good rotation"..AJ burnett is an injury risk...sabathia should return to his old AL days with his confidence back...wang should return to normal after the freak accident...i think the yankees should, after trading two of matsui, damon, nady, swisher (preferably swisher and matsui) acquire one more hitter (im not suggesting manny) to backup the lower end of the lineup

Negatron617
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
the rays are going to suffer this year .. kazmir and shields are underachievers/injuries waiting to happen especially kazmir..i would be careful with shields as well...the rays rotation lacks certainty..david price is a rookie...andy sonnastine has gotten rocked by the big offense teams

the only pitcher on the rays that im confident will have a repeat/good year is garza..and that includes the bullpen besides balfour

as for the red sox...there lineup needs another bat as ortiz is fading and you have a bunch of youngsters coming off great years that are unlikely to repeat (youkilis, pedroia)..lester looked great last year but the years before that were not, although this couldve been a breakout season id be leary...beckett is an injury risk although dominant when healthy..matsuzaka will not repeat sorry sox fans he walks too many and has too high of a WHIP to be consistently good

the yankees need one more solid inningseater starter to have a "good rotation"..AJ burnett is an injury risk...sabathia should return to his old AL days with his confidence back...wang should return to normal after the freak accident...i think the yankees should, after trading two of matsui, damon, nady, swisher (preferably swisher and matsui) acquire one more hitter (im not suggesting manny) to backup the lower end of the lineup

i cant consider youk a youngster and Ped has had 2 great first years. i thought shields was the rays best pitcher all year but garza stepped up late in the season and playoffs. garza used to not be good cuz he used to walk people too much.....if he can turn it around and lester could turn it around then daisk has a chance to cut down the walks and be even better or not. i dont care about the yankees. i dont follow 3rd place teams unless they are my own or unless they stop being a 3rd place team. price is the x factor.

Big_Austin
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
i cant consider youk a youngster and Ped has had 2 great first years. i thought shields was the rays best pitcher all year but garza stepped up late in the season and playoffs. garza used to not be good cuz he used to walk people too much.....if he can turn it around and lester could turn it around then daisk has a chance to cut down the walks and be even better or not. i dont care about the yankees. i dont follow 3rd place teams unless they are my own or unless they stop being a 3rd place team. price is the x factor.

u didnt follow the sox in 2006?

its not like tis daisukes choice to walk people..hes just wild..

and yes garza fixed a flaw in his delivery so hes around the plate more...i like shields as well but he was honestly overworked last year..240 innings is too much

youkilis is young in terms of major league experience (3 full years) dont expect a repeat

pedroia was *good* his first year, not great...expect a dropoff from lack of protection (sorry sox fans, but outside of a declining ortiz and jason bay...theres a lack in that lineup) drew is too much of a risk and quite frankly hes not that good anyway...youk is not going to repeat..i expect 20 hrs 80ish rbis from him.... lowell needs to be replaced...hes slowing decaying :D haha

bbacn123
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM

So im assuming Price is moving in to a starters role this year then?

IraHays
01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
So im assuming Price is moving in to a starters role this year then?

Yes sir. That's been the plan all along with him.

But I do think he would make a fine closer and maybe they will rethink it depending on how the year goes.

SweetTouch
01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Sox will reclaim the division crown in '09.

Just sayin...

NYY
01-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Sox will reclaim the division crown in '09.

Just sayin...

Yanks will reclaim the division crown in '09.

Just sayin...

Rays got a solid lineup though.

SweetTouch
01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Yanks will reclaim the division crown in '09.

Just sayin...

Rays got a solid lineup though.

We shall see.

Will be an exciting regular season, no doubt.

NYY
01-06-2009, 11:53 AM
We shall see.

Will be an exciting regular season, no doubt.

It will be,

if both teams can stay relatively healthy.

SweetTouch
01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
It will be,

if both teams can stay relatively healthy.

I'm saying this is the first year where before the season, people will be picking any one of three teams to win this division.

Huse
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
if beckett pitches like he did 2 years ago u better watch out

SweetTouch
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
if beckett pitches like he did 2 years ago u better watch out

A healthy Beckett/Lester/Matsuzaka is the best 1-3 in the league.

If Beckett was healthy in October, the Sox would have had another parade.

Big_Austin
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
A healthy Beckett/Lester/Matsuzaka is the best 1-3 in the league.

If Beckett was healthy in October, the Sox would have had another parade.

healthy sabathia/burnett/wang can rival that

Huse
01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
healthy sabathia/burnett/wang can rival that

sabathia in playoffs = lol

saaltydog
11-02-2009, 06:53 AM
lulz